UVA

I am trying to learn what I can about UVA since I am applying there and I am trying to finish the secondary.
I was wondering if UVA has any sort of special developmental disabilities programs or pediatrics. I know they are super strong in neurology. I am interested in becoming a developmental pediatrician.

QUOTE (SundayS76 @ Aug 16 2003, 12:59 AM)
I am trying to learn what I can about UVA since I am applying there and I am trying to finish the secondary.
I was wondering if UVA has any sort of special developmental disabilities programs or pediatrics. I know they are super strong in neurology. I am interested in becoming a developmental pediatrician.

Hi there,
One of the great "false" beliefs about medical schools is that you need to attend a medical school that is strong in what you want to do as a specialty. You need to attend a medical school that will prepare you to be a strong candidate for residency in the field of your choice. Whether or not UVa has a developmental disabilities programs of pediatrics will have nothing to do with your course of study as a medical student. These topics will be covered in child development or during your pediatrics rotation.
What UVa does have is a very strong general pediatrics department with internationally known faculty especially in child development. Doing well in your coursework, especially your third year pediatric clerkship is going to do far more for you than the location of a fellowship or a peds subspecialty. With good grades and some solid research, you can make yourself more competitive for a residency that can prepare your for subspecialization. Does UVa provide this for their students? Most UVa medical students entering Pediatrics seem to think so.
Another place with very strong developmental pediatrics is Howard University, my alma mater. Howard specializes in serving an underserved population that frequently does not have prenatal care thus they have become masters in providing services and support for the products of these pregnancies. Dr. Shiela Mosee is one of leaders in developmental pediatrics. She trained at Childrens Hospital National Medical Center and is director of a whole mutidisciplinary center devoted to the care of children with special needs.
Natalie cool.gif

Thank you for your responce. I know that the school I attend doesn't have to be great in developmental peds for me to attend it and become one. I like UVA but I was trying to write my secondaries.

I had not realized that UVA had internationally known pediatrics faculty. That is really cool.