Value of shadowing

I had one of the most amazing days yesterday … I could go on about it forever. Don’t worry, I won’t.

Anyway. I had the opportunity to shadow an anesthesiologist at a nearby hospital, and the experience was absolutely INCREDIBLE. I saw several surgical procedures start to finish, and learned about the accompanying anesthesiology procedures as well. Intubations, a laproscopic nephrectomy, arthroscopic shoulder surgery … all kinds of things. Real procedures, real doctors, real patients. Medicine coming alive for me.

I worked in a hospital several years ago (in the ICU, where things obviously can get pretty hairy), so it’s not like I’ve never seen a doctor treat a patient in an emergent or potentially life-threatening situation. But when you’re right up close, in the passenger seat (so to speak) with the driver narrating every twist and turn, it’s pretty cool.

Consider this post my plug for shadowing. It doesn’t just look good on the med school application. You really learn things. Sure, you learn about the nuts and bolts of medicine. That’s obvious. But you also learn about yourself – what interests you, and what doesn’t. How you relate to people (patients, doctors, etc.). How you handle stress. Real issues that any doctor will face from day 1.

OK, I promised I wouldn’t go on forever. Just thought I’d share some of my enthusiasm.

Thank you for sharing that. You’re fortunate to find an opportunity like that. I would love a chance to do something similar.

That sounds great! I’d love to have an opportunity like that. How did you get involved in that?

Sounds like a great day!

Thanks for the comments, everyone. It was a great day, in so many ways.

@ little_t: I got this opportunity by contacting a half-dozen alums from my alma mater (undergrad) who are MDs. One replied to my messages. And there you have it: shadowing opportunity.

As a result of this experience, I highly suggest contacting people from your alma mater, both high school and university; you never know who will be willing to help you. For many people, those school ties run deep.

How did you go about finding a doctor to shadow? Did you know someone or simply cold call a physician?

Do you need to shadow a physician if you work with them daily? Just curious…

• oldnavygirl Said:
Do you need to shadow a physician if you work with them daily? Just curious...

Not necessarily. Adcoms are more looking for that you have a good understanding of the practice of medicine. If you can demonstrate that you have that through your job, then you don't really need to shadow. (I didn't shadow). FWIW, though, you might want to consider shadowing physicians in a different setting than where you work just to get a different point of view.

Maybe this question was addressed but: As a person who has never worked in healthcare, what do I need to do to be eligible to both shadow a physician and volunteer at a clinic? Vaccinations, etc?

Also, what about privacy issues when it comes to shadowing a physician? Do the patients need to approve of your presence somehow?

Thank you…

• In reply to:
Maybe this question was addressed but: As a person who has never worked in healthcare, what do I need to do to be eligible to both shadow a physician and volunteer at a clinic? Vaccinations, etc?

It really is going to vary widely. I doubt that a physician is going to require proof of vaccinations, etc for shadowing. A clinic that utilizes volunteers may or may not have that kind of requirement. If you end up in medical school, you will have to provide proof of vaccinations and/or titers. So, even though you may not need them for your volunteering, it doesn't hurt to start rounding that info up now. Usually, if you can't provide documentation of when you received your vaccines, you need to get a titer drawn (some of which are pricey).

• In reply to:
Also, what about privacy issues when it comes to shadowing a physician? Do the patients need to approve of your presence somehow?

The privacy issue has made shadowing more and more difficult. Many physicians now refuse to allow pre-meds to shadow out of concerns of violating privacy. Many are still okay with it, but may have you sign waivers and paperwork stating that you understand privacy rules and will not discuss anything/anyone you've seen during your visit.

Usually, a physician will tell the patient "I have x here with me today who is a (pre-med, medical student, etc). Is it okay if he sits in on our visit?" Most patients will be okay with it, but there are those that will say no.
  • Emergency! Said:
Many are still okay with it, but may have you sign waivers and paperwork stating that you understand privacy rules and will not discuss anything/anyone you've seen during your visit.

Usually, a physician will tell the patient "I have x here with me today who is a (pre-med, medical student, etc). Is it okay if he sits in on our visit?" Most patients will be okay with it, but there are those that will say no.

This is exactly what happened with me -- I had to sign a privacy form stating that I had read and understood HIPAA regulations etc. Apparently the hospital where I shadowed had done this a number of times, so they were pretty prepared, so I even got my picture taken and an ID badge made for me to wear on my scrubs! That made me look more "official," I think, and engendered some additional trust between the patients and myself.

And the doctor whom I was shadowing did introduce me to all the patients as a pre-med who had a degree in journalism and was going back for medicine, etc., and asked permission for me to stay in on the exam/procedure/and so on. No one had a problem with it, which was good for me.

In terms of the vaccination issue -- I actually had to show proof of a negative TB test as well. As I said, this place had its ducks in a row, and had regulations in place regarding shadowing.

Hope this helps!