Verbal Reasoning

Dear friends,
I have had the good fortune of preparing for critical reasoning (verbal) for GMAT just a few months ago when I took GMAT . I was considering MBA at the time. Anyways, i am wondering if MCAT reasoning is similar (identifying assumption, premise and conclusion).
Are there any classes one can take to improve in this area? If so, would they be under English or Communications?
Please let me know,
Thx,
Rianah

Quote:

Dear friends,
I have had the good fortune of preparing for critical reasoning (verbal) for GMAT just a few months ago when I took GMAT . I was considering MBA at the time. Anyways, i am wondering if MCAT reasoning is similar (identifying assumption, premise and conclusion).
Are there any classes one can take to improve in this area? If so, would they be under English or Communications?
Please let me know,
Thx,
Rianah

Kaplan teaches a similar approach: identify the topic, scope, and purpose of each passage and each paragraph within a passage. Road map out the passage as quickly and accurately as you can, so that when you get to the questions you will be able to scan back to the correct paragraph. Don’t try to absorb all the details up front; just know where they are in case you need to refer back. Read the passage under timed conditions.
Kaplan, Princeton, and Exam Krackers all offer MCAT classes that should help you through the verbal reasoning strategies. I’m taking Kaplan right now and they have some good tips. You might benefit merely from reading their books and not need the course; check around for used copies if you are that type of learner. EK sells 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning which is highly regarded. Good luck!

Having taught both the Kaplan and Examkrackers VR strategies, I think the EK is considerably better. There just isn’t enough time to do what Kaplan tells you to do. I’d get the EK Verbal/Math book (it’s part of the complete study package, or you can buy it separately). I don’t know anything about the TPR strategy.
MCAT is a different beast from every other standardized test; don’t assume that GMAT strategies will get you through. Practice with MCAT-specific passages and questions, and you’ll get a good sense of what it’s about.

Hi there,
At University of Mary Washington (formerly Mary Washington College), we had a course called Critical Evaluation of Expository Writing which taught one how to evaluate writing and the writers intent but good English composition couse can teach you to evaluate and communicate effectively. Once you have the basics of good reading and writing, you need to practice your skills regularly.
It is always true that good readers are good writers. In this electronic age, much reading and writing has been done at the fifth-grade level so you need to spend some time reading a wide variety of materials such as philosophy, sociology and scientific materials. I spent a great deal of time reading some of the Puritan writers such as John Winthrop. They were fine writers with great ideas and clarity of thought and presentation. I also always recommend reading The New York Times scientific section to my students and outlining their editorials as good practice for the MCAT.
The Princeton Review has some of the best strategies for approaching the Verbal Reasoning section of the MCAT as does Flowers and Silver’s Review. The key to any verbal reasoning strategy is practice, practice and more practice. There is no “magic” book that is going to teach you everything that you need to know but stretching yourself and practicing on a daily basis (30 minutes a day) can make a huge difference.
Natalie