Very little time - how to get med experience?

This is only my second post here so

I guess I should introduce myself. I’m a 24 year old stay at home mom with two young kids. I’ve been taking a few classes here and there at a CC over the last 3 years, but have no undergrad degree. In the spring I will be transferring to a university as a freshman majoring in Chem with a concentration in Biochem. My kids are currently 4 and 1 and my husband works a lot of overtime, sometimes 8 am to 8 pm, so I really have very little time to get my schoolwork done yet alone volunteer or get a job. So I’m wondering… how am I going to get in some experience in a medical setting before I apply to med school? My experiences so far have been as a patient, after having multiple surgeries, giving birth to 3 kids (1 being stillborn, I had alot of problems and saw alot of doctors and had alot of procedures), as well as some other medical issues. I’m sure this wouldn’t be adequate for me to convince an admissions committee that I know what I would be getting into and that I really want to do it. I’ve thought of a couple of different ways I could get experience. I have no qualms about volunteering, but I’m afraid that my in-laws (who watch the kids when we need a babysitter) would probably look down on me volunteering somewhere while asking them to watch my kids, especially because my medical aspirations are currently hush-hush since I don’t want people thinking I’m nuts LOL. I’ve thought about maybe doing a CNA course if I can fit it in between semesters, or phlebotomy (if that would even be a good choice) and then maybe working in the summers.

Anyway all that rambling was to really say, how much experience do I need, what kind of experience do I need, and how do I get in when I have very very little time? Also, what is more valuable - experience such as that, or maybe doing research or something along those lines? Do most people actually get ALL this stuff in? LOL

If you are going to be taking 4 years full time towards an undergrad degree at a university you may just try to fit in a few hours of volunteering a week to start off with - if anything. At my hospital you can volunteer on the weekends depending on what department you are in. You may want to look into that if your husband will be home with the kids on the weekends. Then, after you get your feet wet with your degree (a year or two in) you can start feeling out research/shadowing opportunities through your university. Also, by this point, hopefully your inlaws will be more open to the idea of you applying to medical school and realize that you’re not nuts! Good luck!

Wow what a dilemma you seem to be in! Well I would have to agree with wiggy though… to start you could try to squeeze in some volunteer hours or if you can contact a doctor to shadow, that would be a better idea since the hours aren’t quite as demanding- although the weekends might be a viable option for hospital volunteering.

I also agree that in your current situation, research experience is something that you’ll probably have to wait until you get started with your university to do.

To answer your question though, I think ALL experience is valuable and even though it IS possible to get everything done (shadowing, volunteering, research, clinical exposure… etc), it does come down to timing and commitment. Everyone is different and therefore should plan accordingly.

I’m also hush hush about my plans for now, so i can sort of understand your reservation.

Dont rush, dont bite off more than you can chew, and most importantly enjoy the ride!

• nocheapones Said:
This is only my second post here so

I guess I should introduce myself. I'm a 24 year old stay at home mom with two young kids. I've been taking a few classes here and there at a CC over the last 3 years, but have no undergrad degree. In the spring I will be transferring to a university as a freshman majoring in Chem with a concentration in Biochem. My kids are currently 4 and 1 and my husband works a lot of overtime, sometimes 8 am to 8 pm, so I really have very little time to get my schoolwork done yet alone volunteer or get a job. So I'm wondering... how am I going to get in some experience in a medical setting before I apply to med school? My experiences so far have been as a patient, after having multiple surgeries, giving birth to 3 kids (1 being stillborn, I had alot of problems and saw alot of doctors and had alot of procedures), as well as some other medical issues. I'm sure this wouldn't be adequate for me to convince an admissions committee that I know what I would be getting into and that I really want to do it. I've thought of a couple of different ways I could get experience. I have no qualms about volunteering, but I'm afraid that my in-laws (who watch the kids when we need a babysitter) would probably look down on me volunteering somewhere while asking them to watch my kids, especially because my medical aspirations are currently hush-hush since I don't want people thinking I'm nuts LOL. I've thought about maybe doing a CNA course if I can fit it in between semesters, or phlebotomy (if that would even be a good choice) and then maybe working in the summers.

Anyway all that rambling was to really say, how much experience do I need, what kind of experience do I need, and how do I get in when I have very very little time? Also, what is more valuable - experience such as that, or maybe doing research or something along those lines? Do most people actually get ALL this stuff in? LOL

Your medically related life experiences are relevant and they are certainly the kind of things that you can mention in your personal statement. But there is a need for you to have what are considered "verifiable" medical experiences. Whether it be volunteering or shadowing etc, it is beneficial to have "hours" logged that can and will be verified by amcas during the application process. Don't underestimate how just a few hours a week of volunteering will add-up during the rest of your undergrad (literally 3-4 hours a week). Obviously, you are in a tough position with childcare restraints, maybe you might consider being forthright with your in-laws about your career goals. Maybe they'll surprise you. It's tough talking about your dreams of medical school, especially as a non-trad, but among the naysayers, you can also find a really supportive "fanbase." I found once I got more comfortable talking about it with people other than my husband, the whole idea of it seems more plausible.

I am in a similar position. My husband works, I work, I go to school full time. We have three babies under 2.5 yoa (yes, a set of twins). I am starting on my volunteer work now. Some students can wait, but, since I have little time to give…ever…I will start clocking time now. For example, volunteer in the ER department from 8pm to midnight. I guess what we all run up against is that someone else is interviewing that does have the volunteer work on their application. We have no choice but to have that on ours as well. Even with us working, having families et cetera. Best wishes!

Thank you all for your replies, and sorry it took me so long to get back. I kept checking my e-mail waiting to see if I got any replies, but for some reason the notices never came. Anyway, I guess I should add also that my husband’s schedule is very unreliable. We don’t know how he will be working beyond each Thursday (when the next week’s schedule is posted), and it’s often abruptly changed anyway. For example, he may have a few days he’s supposed to have off, but then all of a sudden he’ll be told he has to come in one of those days and work night turn the other day he’s supposed to be “off”. For that reason, I don’t want to trust that he’ll be able to watch the kids.

I guess if I am doing just a few hours a week, that I could have my in-laws watch the kids most of the time and they wouldn’t even question it. They don’t seem to ever mind watching the kids anyway, but I’m still cautious about asking them to do too much.

Now I have a few more questions that hopefully someone will be so kind as to answer

1. Is a nursing home an option for good volunteer experience?

2. If volunteering at a hospital (or nursing home), what type of volunteer work should I inquire about?

3. How do you distinguish volunteering and “clinical experience”?

Thanks for all your help!

P.S. Kimberly, I thought I had my hands full with my two kids! I like the Yoda quote… that’s something I tell my 4 year old all the time.
  1. Yes!

2. Each hospital offers different options, patient contact v.s clerical stuff. Ask about patient contact opportunities. The childrens hospital near my place allows volunteers to read stories to the kids, play with them, keep them company etc. I think they have similar opportunities at nursing homes, but again, you’ll have to check with you local hosp or nursing home.

Come to think of it… I havent volunteered at a hospital (yet?). What I’m tagging as my volunteer experience was what I did when I was in college. I volunteered for 3 years as a biology tutor through a program we had in the Bio Dept as well as a peer-mentor for those who were struggling academically. So i dont think it HAS to be hospital based volunteering. As long as you can show that “give back to the community” quality about yourself.

3. Clinical experience is something like shadowing, where you are in a clinical environment, around patients although you dont necessarily “do anything” other than observe. I think volunteering is a category in it of itself.

Anyone out there please correct me if I’m wrong