Very Old Pre-Med

Hello Everyone

I feel very blessed to have found old pre-Meds! I’m 49 I’ve been a Paramedic for 15 years and ER RN for 8 years. I was a senior Cosmetologist Since I was 21. I only practice as a RN but keep all licenses up to date. I always wanted to become a physician since I was 8 years old on career day. I was born in Washington DC. I will be starting my pre-requisites this fall at a University. I took chem I&II and Principles of Biology for medicene in 2004. Unfortunately my GPA sucks overall 2.76 from all the “life that took place” I will be starting from scratch Chem I, Physics I, Prin Bio I. I will be working part time. I’m an intermediate Spanish speaker so I take lessons and do home stays in Latin America to nurture that love! I understand it’s an uphill battle. Interesting fact I will have a Study buddy that’s a spouse of 13 years, taking same classes. I’m very committed! I realize science grades need to be on point!

Thanks for letting me share have a glorious weekend ! :slight_smile:

Update: I dropped Chem I , BIO I and kept the old grades went to BIO II and Chem II starts in Jan. Struggling with physics…I’m hanging in there! Purchased a math tutor

Hi Hairescue, I understand your pressure about grads and life that happens. One of best advice that I had was not to take too many classes. You want quality over quantity. And congratulations on finding a study buddy, this really helped me at the end. I was not able to have a good study buddy as I was working full time and taking night and weekend classes. What also helped me was that my study partner committed to taking the same classes and labs together as much as possible. This way we could share resources and have someone consistent to study with. Good luck with your classes and welcome to the forum.

My advice, as a 50 year old mature premed and occasional Adjunct Chemistry Prof, is NOT to skip either Chem 1 or Bio 1 and start with the second semester in January. The chances of this ending well (meaning all A’s) isn’t very good, though it’s not impossible.

If I were you, I’d start with the first semester of these courses since you’ll need the review for the MCAT anyway.

Good luck!

Hi! I’m a 47 yo M1 and I’ve learned that age is nothing. It’s only too late when you’re dead. Welcome to the party.

Hello everyone… I really wish I would have looked at this forum earlier…@Doc201X you were exactly right! I was working fulltime nights(bad bad IDEA!!!)acting like I was superwoman with something to prove! I hit rock bottom…I got a C in Bio 2 B in Chem2(I will keep that)…I was trying to move to fast so I took honors Bio Lab since it covers bio 1&2 got a B…got D in physics 1…and to tip the iceberg I got really Big kahunas and took OCHEM 1 in 5 week format I now have a big Fat F!! Wake up call. I stop working nights got on a budget. I took all my labs gotA’s I will check in monthly. I owe my story to others to NOT be in a rush because of age… I will be starting the fall to retake OCHEM and physics work 1 dayshift a week with a new mindset…full steam ahead on this journey is not wise…slow and steady I’m a work in progress…positive energy here peace and blessings to all

@lokumoto wrote:

Hi Hairescue, I understand your pressure about grads and life that happens. One of best advice that I had was not to take too many classes. You want quality over quantity. And congratulations on finding a study buddy, this really helped me at the end. I was not able to have a good study buddy as I was working full time and taking night and weekend classes. What also helped me was that my study partner committed to taking the same classes and labs together as much as possible. This way we could share resources and have someone consistent to study with. Good luck with your classes and welcome to the forum.

You have very sound advice thank you

@Doc201X wrote:

My advice, as a 50 year old mature premed and occasional Adjunct Chemistry Prof, is NOT to skip either Chem 1 or Bio 1 and start with the second semester in January. The chances of this ending well (meaning all A’s) isn’t very good, though it’s not impossible.

If I were you, I’d start with the first semester of these courses since you’ll need the review for the MCAT anyway.

Good luck!

They need to make a podcast about being in a rush because of age…I love “The Mature Pre-Med” thank you for your advice… I posted how I hit rock bottom, but when you are on the the bottom there is no where to go but up…