Volunteer Question/Problem

Hi, all.
Well, I can’t seem to get any volunteer experience. I even work in the largest health organization in IL and I can’t seem to get approved to volunteer there for some reason. I do get some minimal exposure here in terms of seeing cardiology studies and the such, but that’s about it (those are very cool btw).
Anyway, any suggestions? Most places seem to take the younger people or retired people instead of me. And then, the rest of the hospitals (a lot of free clinics in Chicago are affiliated with hospitals) only take clinical volunteers if you’re from a school that has a relationship with them.
Should I just try to get a CNA in the evenings to get more exposure? Between FT job and current pre-reqs my schedule is rapidly getting crazy, though, and I’m not sure how I’m going to fit in CNA or some other health occ. study in my free time.

I’ve never heard of hospitals refusing to take volunteers just because of their age. Are you still in school, or did you go to school in the area? Even if not, try hooking up with your local pre-med club, and ask them for some help. The pre-med club at my university is constantly barraging my email with health-related shadowing and volunteering opportunities. (And I’m just on their mailing list, not a real or active member.) Hope this helps, and best of luck to you!

Quote:

I’ve never heard of hospitals refusing to take volunteers just because of their age. Are you still in school, or did you go to school in the area? Even if not, try hooking up with your local pre-med club, and ask them for some help. The pre-med club at my university is constantly barraging my email with health-related shadowing and volunteering opportunities. (And I’m just on their mailing list, not a real or active member.) Hope this helps, and best of luck to you!

Yeah, I will have to talk to Northwestern and see what they recommend. I’m not in their ‘official’ program for another year, though…just taking a few classes on my own since I missed enrollment for this year’s program.
Oddly, after posting here I did get a call from the volunteer coordinator at the hospital I work with so I have to call her back. She said they don’t let you do anything clinical but maybe she misunderstood. I just want to see how things work, I obviously am not going to be doing anything clinical to a patient.

How is your schedule? On the application I filled out, one of the questions was about what days and times you are available. I quickly learned that you need to be open.
I grumbled about some of the times I put down for availability, but it got me into an interview. I didn’t like the assignment and time I was put down for (ICU…I saw doctors for about two seconds and they were there only to do a bit of paperwork, then fled), but it allowed me to establish a relationship and I put up with it until an opening in the ED came about three months later.
What’s funny is the hospital I’m at was my first pick. I wanted badly to volunteer there. I still applied at many hospitals and didn’t hear a thing back. Months later, I recieved a phone call and learned the post office had messed up badly and they hadn’t recieved most of their applications (you called the office and left a message for them to mail you an application. That’s how they had my number). I called back immediatly and spoke briefly with the coordinator and scheduled an interview. It was the ONLY hospital that showed any interest in me, lol!
Unfortunatly, this time of year might be more difficult. The kiddos are being let out of school and many hospitals have summer programs for them.
You might go by the office and introduce yourself or to schedule an interview. Or, at least call and leave a message.
Good luck

Well, I got called right after posting my message, which is quite odd.
They just said all the ‘kids’ want to volunteer in pediatrics. Apparently the kids all say they love children, but I guess they don’t really understand that they come to the hospital for a reason.
So anyway my options are ER or I can volunteer on the nursing floor. For now I think I’ll do ER as I have an interest in emergency medicine (and family practice). I can always try the nursing floor sometime, too.
Even have orientation today. Luckily I already have a badge since I work here and have to keep my hep b and other stuff current. I did ER volunteer stuff in college ages ago, though, and it seemed to just involve keeping stuff stocked, but it had some talking to patients and the such.