Volunteering and Experience?

Hi everyone! I keep hearing about the importance of volunteering and experience to your application package…I’m looking for some clarifiation.

When it comes to volunteering does it matter what sort of volunteering you are doing? Should it be in medicine?..or can it be in anything? I volunteer my time to teach Tae Kwon Do and Self Defense, two things I’m very passionate about…but is this what they are looking for, it’s got nothing to do with being a doctor. I also am an Air Force Reservist and spend much of my own time doing duty with no pay, on a voluteer basis, does this count?

…and as far as experience goes…What, besides the obvious shadowing and EMT experiences, is good experience for your resume? What is considered “medical” experience? How does work in things like nutrition, exercise physiology and personal training, public health, physical therapy…etc…relate to medical school?

Thanks in advance for you insight!!

RRCJ

My understanding is that one thing ad coms are interested in is that you show an interest in (and perhaps a stomach for)medicine and the health care environment. It might be assumed that volunteerism demonstrates a greater sense of responsibility toward others. So, I should think your martial arts experience would relate to the latter qualification. Experience in such work as exercise phys, personal training, etc. might be interpreted either as medical or not depending on an interviewer’s perspective. Some of my classmates have been volunteering in the ER or at free clinics. My study partner, a traditional pre-med, is doing a summer internship at a medical research foundation. It can take time, money, and sacrifice to get into EMS, but if you’re considering volunteering or even working part-time, we are currently experiencing a nationwide shortage. And, you can learn a lot about medicine in the pursuit.

• RRCJ Said:
When it comes to volunteering does it matter what sort of volunteering you are doing? Should it be in medicine?...or can it be in anything? I volunteer my time to teach Tae Kwon Do and Self Defense, two things I'm very passionate about...but is this what they are looking for, it's got nothing to do with being a doctor. I also am an Air Force Reservist and spend much of my own time doing duty with no pay, on a voluteer basis, does this count?

No, it does not have to be in medicine. Your martial arts volunteering and volunteering with the military certainly count. A lot of people volunteer in something medically related because it gets them both volunteer time and medical experience at the same time. Adcoms want to see something that you excited to talk about - not something that you obviously did to check off a box on the application.

• In reply to:
...and as far as experience goes...What, besides the obvious shadowing and EMT experiences, is good experience for your resume? What is considered "medical" experience? How does work in things like nutrition, exercise physiology and personal training, public health, physical therapy...etc...relate to medical school?

Thanks in advance for you insight!!

What I think they are most looking for is that you have a good idea of what you are getting into. Not everybody can have great clinical experience. You should try and get some shadowing experience in. This shows adcoms that you have talked to physicians and investigated what you are getting yourself into.

If you truly want some patient care experience, a good place to start might be with a hospice organization. They are often desperate for patient care volunteers, often just someone to sit and stay with the person while family members/usual caregivers get a break. The length of training varies depending on the organization, but it's usually not too in depth.

Another avenue to explore for medically related volunteering is patient advocacy. The role of a patient advocate can vary quite a bit, but can include accompanying patients to doctor's visits and procedures, helping them with their medications and discharge instructions, helping them navigate the healthcare maze, providing transportation, etc.

It can be difficult to get actual "clinical" experience without some kind of certification/training, so don't be afraid to think outside of the box.

Good luck!