volunteering:people or animals?

Hi, all. I’m back again after a about a month. Classes are going well, and almost over. I think Im ready to start volunteering now, but I’m not sure with people or animals?
I am not applying to vet school, but I LOVE animals. (I love people, too )However, my class schedule is going to be crammed with classes in the morning, afternnon, and some evenings, so study time is precious. I wonder if it will be okay to volunteer at the animal shelter instead of at a hospital? Don’t med schools want the clinical experience to be with People, not animals? I can only choose one…

Just my opinion here, but I think you should look for a human clinical experience.

Quote:

Hi, all. I’m back again after a about a month. Classes are going well, and almost over. I think Im ready to start volunteering now, but I’m not sure with people or animals?
I am not applying to vet school, but I LOVE animals. (I love people, too )However, my class schedule is going to be crammed with classes in the morning, afternnon, and some evenings, so study time is precious. I wonder if it will be okay to volunteer at the animal shelter instead of at a hospital? Don’t med schools want the clinical experience to be with People, not animals? I can only choose one…

Admissions committees won’t understand your passion for medicine (the people kind) if you don’t get clinical experience with human patients. Animals can’t talk back (other than snappy teeth and scratching claws and pecking beaks), cry because of bad news, well, you get the picture. Working with animals is not the same as working with human patients.
Cheers,
Judy

I have to agree that you should volunteer in areas of medicine for people. I think the fact that you found time to volunteer at an animal shelter and not a hospital/clinic/lab for humans might baffle the adcomms. They might wonder if vet school had been your first choice or inclination. Additionally, there is a benefit to volunteering beyond impressing the adcomms and proving you know what you’re getting into…while you’re bogged down in the details/abstract concepts of physics, chemistry and biology, it reminds you of your passion and why you’ve chosen to submit yourself to this scientific torture…to help people. Do volunteer in medical areas for people, but do it an area that’s your passion - AIDS, children, the elderly, cancer research, etc. It know you have a lot on your plate as it is, but take the time to find a volunteer opportunity that will both impress and solidify your commitment to human medicine to the adcomms AND will remind of your passion and initial motivation for wanting to become a doctor. It will help keep you sane.

I am guessing that they will wonder why you are not becoming a vet instead. All volunteer work is good but they will want some clinical (with people) and research experience.
Good luck if you are in NYC, you can PM for ideas.