Want to be interviewed for a nat'l magazine?

Hello – I’m a new member, and old (51), although not a pre-med. I am a journalist (New York Times Magazine, “O”) and an author (Carved In Sand: When Attention Fails and Memory Fades in Midlife). I’m looking for women between the ages of 35 and 55 who would like to participate in an article I’m writing for MORE Magazine, about women who decide to return to school and become doctors well into their lives. I totally admire all of you.

This will be fun and exciting (and it won’t hurt, I promise!) Please contact me and tell me a little of your story. I can be reached at cjr@carvedinsand.com.

Catherine, I’m interested - just up to my eyeballs in work at the moment. You’ll get an e-mail from me in the next few days, I promise.

Mary

I could dress in drag if you wish to interview me!

Seriously, I wish you the best of luck with your article too. I hope that several folks chime in here as we have some truly inspirational ladies here.

Cathryn -

I’ll also try and send you an e-mail in the next couple of days.

Amy

Ladies, I cheated and sent in my application essay with a few updating comments. Much faster than, you know, actual THINKING about what led you to this path.

Thanks for the responses!

I’m looking forward to hearing from anyone who is interested in participating. And I’d be especially intrigued to hear from anyone who is attending or plans to attend med school outside of the US.

I’m up for it. I’ll email you soon.

I sent an email yesterday. Thanks for the possible opportunity!

I love More. I’m a subscriber.

Rats. I wasn’t chosen. I saw the original message that she posted in the “OPM Family Room” forum, and I was the first to respond there. I sent an email right away.

I have an interesting story about how I was misdiagnosed (re: Lyme) for so many years, and how I kept searching for the cause of my distress. I saw so many physicians. I did so much research. I advocated for other patients getting IV treatments and online. Oh, well.

I’m a More subscriber, and I will read the article. It will be a bummer, though, knowing it could’ve been me in there. I’d like to know if you will be in there, though! I want to read more about you fine folk!

I guess I feel down, too, because I’ve been disabled for so long. Disabled people tend to feel useless sometimes because they’re not contributing to society in the ways expected of adults. Sometimes, it seems my life isn’t interesting enough.

I’m so embarrassed.

I didn’t realize this message was posted months ago! She told me yesterday.

Also, she said that it won’t be in More after all. It will be in O, The Oprah Magazine (January issue).

Star