Watch out for dumb errors

I took a practive AAMC MCAT in physical sciences this weekend. I ended up with a 7, but because of 10 stupid mistakes. After reviewing the test and realizing that I would have gotten those questions correct had I paid a little more attention, I would have gotten a 10!!!

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH
Curses

Gabe, this is great news: it means the practice test is doing its job of helping you learn HOW to take thke the test! YOu go!

Hey Gabe. I think most of us probably ended up doing the exact same thing when we took our first practice test. That’s one of the great things about the practice tests–they really help you to learn about how you take the test and then to make the necessary adjustments so you take the test the way it needs to be taken.
Good luck with the next one!
Larry

Quote:

I took a practive AAMC MCAT in physical sciences this weekend. I ended up with a 7, but because of 10 stupid mistakes. After reviewing the test and realizing that I would have gotten those questions correct had I paid a little more attention, I would have gotten a 10!!!

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH
Curses

Yes, unfortunately I can relate. And what I realize now as I sit to take the test for the 3rd time since April 2004, is that I don’t have ANY serious issues with content. But I’m working my ass off to keep from making those stupid errors like misreading the question that keep me from 11’s and 12’s instead of 8’s and 9’s!!!
For me, I find that if I just RELAX, I do just fine so I guess I’d better work a little harder on the “relaxing” part!

Practice tests are great for figuring out where you make your own personal dumb mistakes. My 2 favorites:
- division with exponents: adding instead of subtracting the exponents
- pH: thinking, higher pH means more acidic and higher H+ concentration (instead of the reverse). This one gets students over and over again.
I just learned that every time I encountered a question like this, I needed to double-check my answer.

<<
- division with exponents: adding instead of subtracting the exponents
- pH: thinking, higher pH means more acidic and higher H+ concentration (instead of the reverse).
>>
Hear, hear! Those two are the CLASSICS.