Welcome!

Hi all and welcome to our own MCAT online study group!!! And a big thank you to Geoff for making this forum possible!
Well for those of you who haven’t been following our thread in the MCAT Forum, let me just give a brief overview of what we’re doing here. There are several of us who are doing the Examkrackers MCAT home-study prep and this is just a forum for us to ask questions, help eachother, and to keep tabs on one another to make sure we don’t get lazy…because I’ll admit I tend to be a procrastinator .
Anyone is welcome to join in, even you Kaplan-ers and Princeton Review-ers. However we are following the Examkrackers 10-week study guide (which I have attached for anyone who needs it) and books. Also, there are a group of us who are hoping to get through the review 2x before the MCAT, we will be starting November 13th in order to make it through twice. However if you can’t start then please feel free to join in at ANY time!! And if some of you are interested in meeting in a chat room every once and awhile, I’m sure we can arrange that as well.
This is a very informal forum and open to any other ideas on how we can make this effective and beneficial for everyone. So feel free to post suggestions!
I look forward to seeing you all in here!
Bea

Attached files 1131393649-Study Schedule.doc (96 KB)Â

Count me in – thanks for organizing this.
I’ll be using some PR books and some EK books, with the EK schedule & audio osmosis…how’s that for eclectic? Later I may get QBank, since it seems to be a good deal.
I have a question regarding the EK study guide (which I really like): do they define what they mean by pre-reading?
Thanks,
Barb

Eclectic is best! I’m using an old Kaplan to supplement as well. Also, you can get from AAMC.org an online package of 4 MCAT exams that can be taken online or printed, for $80. It is alot but seeing that they are normally $40 a piece it seems like a great deal.
As far as “pre-reading”, EK defines it as reading through the material quickly, no notes, no serious thinking, just read through it like a novel. The second time they have you read through it (usually the next day) they then recommend reading the material more critically with a highlighter and taking notes. Hope this helps!
Bea

Hi everyone!
Thanks to Bea for organizing this!
I will be joining in…I get my book on the 14th, but I already have the osmosis Cd’s…
See you all soon!
Lola

Barb,
I will be jumping into this forum in the next week or so. I just wanted to say hi to everyone that is preparing for the April MCAT. I ordered by Examkrackers material a few days ago and expect to get them at the end of this week or early next week.
Looking forward to the challenge,
Bob

Hi Bob and welcome! Let me know if you have any questions or need the EK 10-week study plan. It’s posted as an attachment on one of these threads…but I can also just email it to you if you can’t find it.
Take care,
Bea

Bea and other Examkrackers, I’m in. I guess I’m a month behind you, but I downloaded the 10 week guide and started yesterday. I skipped the first exam…will have to wait until I have 6 hours to do that…I may be getting up at 4 am to do this:)
Thanks for getting this forum going and for the study guide.
Best wishes to all,
Catherine

Good luck to all of you as you prepare for the exam!
Larry

I thought I’d check in with an update & admit that I’ve done little. Is it just a condition of being the eternal student that I envision holidays as a time to catch up on studying? Will they ever mean true family time again?
I’m starting Friday. Where are you guys?
Barb

Hey…you’re not alone. First it was finals then I have had tons of family in for the holidays…first time we’ve all been together in over 30 years for Christmas. So I decided not to add any more stress to the chaos of December and have put off MCAT studying until January. I probably won’t get in a full two rounds of MCAT review but I’d rather do that than be so stressed that I can’t enjoy my holidays. My sanity and my family are more important. Hey if we can’t establish priorities now it sure isn’t going to happen once med school starts. Hope you all have a great holiday!
Bea

Hi everyone
Happy new year. This forum is a good thing to get me motivated and pace myself. I am glad there are many who are joining in with EK. I will be joining this forum, and thanks for the study schedule.
I have the Audio osmosis and some EK books but I will be filling them up by next week.
Anyone here in the Sanfrancisco Bay area?
Thanks again
uvi

Hi – are you guys awake out there?
I think I’ve found an error in an EK passage involving enzymes. I have checked the website & found an explanation but it doesn’t satisfy me.
Is anyone out there working the problems yet? I think the problem I have is in the MINI-MCATs.
If so, then I’ll launch into my question. The EK forum doesn’t look that usable/current to me.
Barb

I’d really encourage you to use their online forums for the various books. Their resident experts are usually very good (and patient) at answering questions and providing helpful explanations. If an explanation doesn’t make sense, then ask for more details.

Quote:

Hi – are you guys awake out there?
I think I’ve found an error in an EK passage involving enzymes. I have checked the website & found an explanation but it doesn’t satisfy me.
Is anyone out there working the problems yet? I think the problem I have is in the MINI-MCATs.
If so, then I’ll launch into my question. The EK forum doesn’t look that usable/current to me.
Barb

I definitely found some errors too. Post the question and let’s discuss!!

Yeah, I’d like to see it too. I think I found an error as well, in one of the questions at the end of the chapter, I believe in the Gen Chem book. I’ll go back and look for it now and post it too, to see if anyone agress with me on it.
Sam