what a difference 2 years makes...

It’s my 2-year OPM anniversary! A very old post of mine resurfaced last week so I thought I would give an update - I’m no longer discouraged about going to med school!
When I first found OPM 2 years ago, I had just started to consider med school but thought that getting in would be long and hard, if I got accepted anywhere. Things moved surprisingly quickly and easily; I took the MCAT that August, went through interviews a year ago, and had multiple acceptances to good schools.
I’ve just finished my first 4 months of med school. Passing anatomy convinced me that maybe I can actually get through the rest of the 4 years!
Good luck to all of you who are just starting!

It is a wonderous thing somtimes to take a step back and look back down the road traveled to get here in the present.
I applaud you for getting to where you are today. Keep up the good work.
Amy B

Way to go!

Congratulations on a job well done! Here is my dilemma…I am 43 years old. 20 years ago I was a PRE MED at UH Manoa. I ended up changing my degree and went another successful route. Now I am considering starting over again with my dream for medicine. This means I will have to take 32 credit hours of PRE MED courses (which I could knock out easily at a local community college). I am sure I could get fantastic grades in the courses and score high on the MCAT…here is my question, if I do this, can I still get into Med School at age 44??? Aloha and regards…

Quote:

Congratulations on a job well done! Here is my dilemma…I am 43 years old. 20 years ago I was a PRE MED at UH Manoa. I ended up changing my degree and went another successful route. Now I am considering starting over again with my dream for medicine. This means I will have to take 32 credit hours of PRE MED courses (which I could knock out easily at a local community college). I am sure I could get fantastic grades in the courses and score high on the MCAT…here is my question, if I do this, can I still get into Med School at age 44??? Aloha and regards…

This sort of question gets asked a lot and the answer is always YES! But of course, it’s not as easy as all that, as I’m sure you are aware. You need to do well in your coursework, MCATs, demonstrate that you know what you’re getting into, and can clearly articulate why medicine and why now. Take a browse through this site and check out some of the stories… there are many people who have started later than 44 and did just fine. One other thing, you mentioned comm. college for your pre-med courses… there is a lot of debate on this, but often it’s recommended that if you can take them at a 4-year institution that the courses are looked upon more favorably than 2-year schools (you can search for threads on this topic, too). Of course, this is assuming that you can find a 4-year institution that will work with your needs, sometimes we have to make concessions, at people have gotten into med school with cc pre-reqs. Again, do a search of this site and you should find some further info on this. Best of luck to you and welcome to OPM!

Congratulations Meomix on a successful first term. This gives me positive motivation as I start this August.
Kevin1961, you can do it. Pre-reqs at a 4 year college are better, but CC is ok too. I took 24 hrs needed at CC and have multiple acceptances for entry this year. Follow your dreams and good luck on the path.
Life is a journey, but be sure to enjoy trip.

Congrats on a great first term!! This is my first term back and I’m hoping I am as successful!!
I wonder why there is so much difference in how schools look at taking pre-med courses at CC’s?? GW and Georgetown both said they woudln’t look at pre-med courses from CC’s. Yet other schools don’t seem to mind! I would’ve thought there would be a standard in this area. I for one would love to do my pre-med at the CC since it is 5 minutes from my house and 1/4 of the cost!

Aloha, I am currently attending med school at UH and can tell you that we had 2 students your age in my class. One of them has since dropped out, but it IS possible. I think you might be better off taking your pre-med courses at UH, but IF you want to go to med school there, you should make sure to check the pre-reqs first because they are very different from what most schools want. I don’t know if you would qualify for the Imi Ho’ola program, but it is an excellent post-bacc. program. However, it won’t be easy, so my advice would be to find out as much as you can now while you are still considering going back to school. You can attend one of JABSOM’s free PBL (problem-based learning) sessions to get a feel for the program. You can have a free med school tour given by a student. Both of these things can be arranged by calling the admissions office. In fact, odds are high they’ll put you in touch w/ me as they have with other similar students in the past. I’m 33 and have 3 kids, so they often ask me to talk to the “older” prospective applicants. My other suggestion would be to find a doctor who is willing to let you shadow him/her so that you can see what medicine is really about to make sure it’s something you want to pursue. Send me a “private” message, and I’ll give you some names of some great docs who would be willing to do that kind of thing.
So, in summary, yes, it is possible, very do-able if you want it badly enough…but I do think you should find out as much as you can first. I can tell you that the system has not traditionally been designed for people like us, and it hasn’t been easy for me…but it is very worthwhile, and I have yet to regret it.
Mahalo,
Jen, class of '07

Congrats on getting through anatomy. The next 3 1/2 years are going to fly past!

kevin161
I would be curious as to how it works out for you if you go the CC route. I too live 5 minutes and $60 p/credit hour closer to CC, but was advised by the “med school advisor” (assistant director of admissions) that going to a CC after a degree or even some premed classes at a 4 year would be “looked down on” by the admissions staff. I guess they figure the CC (although they actually teach the subject to be comprehended and applied), is a “step down” from the rigors of University. I, given my age (45) decided to keep my options as high as possible and stay at University. Gas prices be damned! I spend more than $100 p/week on gas, 12 hrs on the road (lost study time) and miss out on many opportunities for volunteer, work, etc, because of the lost time. I truly wonder if the drive is worth it. Please post later and let me know-or send a PM. Thanks
carol
"This too shall pass!"

casdaimler-
Some good advice given to me was to call or e-mail the admissions people from each school you are interested in applying to and ask them directly if they accept CC courses and if there is a bias. I’m from Illinois, and from U of I and SIU there were fine with CC credits and even LORs from instructors there, since they would know my science academic performance vs. my bachelor’s and master’s in non-science areas. Better to get it from the horse’s mouth. Many med school advisors mean well, but med schools are beginning to recognize the non-trad student seriously!
Good luck!

Hello all - I’m brand new here, and enjoy it here much more than SDN… I’m 44 and just finished my prereqs, took the MCAT in April, and waiting for the ‘last minute decision’ from the admissions committee. Rather nerve-wracking! Three years ago when I decided I was only getting older, I never dreamed I’d be sitting here like this:-) I have not much confidence that I won’t need to re-apply next year, as my score is average for where I applied - I SO wanted a ‘stellar’ performance on MCAT! Oh well - must have needed a dose of humility!

It is SO encouraging to come here and realize that not only am I not alone in being an older student - I’m also not the oldest. Thank you to all of you for your great thoughts and experience!

Hi there,

Welcome to the group. Just remember that it’s not over until it’s over. Unless you are holding a rejection letter in your hand, you are still in the running for a seat in this years class.

Meanwhile, be working on your Plan B (what you are going to do if you do not get in). It always works out that the more detailed and specific your Plan B,the better your chances of getting an acceptance letter. (Besides, it keeps you from going crazy with the wait.)

Good luck and glad to have you!

Natalie

Thanks for the response - I have been compiling my ‘plan B’ - including retaking the MCAT in August. I do have a question about that. If I DO get accepted, I’ll need to pay off a small chunk to release my final official transcript, which leaves me short on paying for the retake of the MCAT. If I DON’T get accepted til next year, I can roll that bill into next year’s fin aid no problem. So I have a quandry. Is this something I could call and ask the admissions office where my app is sitting at the moment? Any input would be welcome

I have already preregistered for a few additional classes for next year here as an “in case”, including biochem since my final quarter of OChem was, well, embarassing! Hurt my ego and totally surprised me, since it was my favorite class and the first two quarters I did well. I do know, though, that my recommendations were great, and my two interviews were great - have even heard from folks who personally know the recruiter who interviewed me and he told them he was very impressed. So we’ll see! My brother is currently beginning his third year at the same med school, and said there was a student in his class who was called the day before classes began.

Good grief

Its all good… I’ll look back on this waiting game and put it in perspective at some point I’m sure!

RJ

Well phoooooey. Just got the happy little rejection letter in the mail this morning. NOT what I wanted to see, but at least now I can stop forever waiting… and go ahead and reg for a retake of the MCAT. Another thing I really didn’t want to do!

Interestingly, I’m really not sad. A little disappointed… but I had applied prior to receiving a degree, on the suggestion of the med school I’m applying to, since I have so many credits etc. So now I’ll get to graduate (after eight years in college all together) and that feels really good. I think I’ll go for early decision next year and see if I can keep the waiting down to a minimum!

Ok now I’m sad - had to call my mom and she cried…she’s one of my greatest supporters, which is very cool. Next year is the year!

RJ

Next year IS the year! You just keep on truckin’!

I believe there’s a big test of character in how many times you get up after you fall down, and how cheerfully you manage to do it.

Go get 'em!