What do you wish you had known

Saw this question posted on SDN with lots of great replies. I figured we could get some even better replies going over here. So, what should I know that I don’t?
What do you wish you had known when you started med school?

Howdy!
First, the academic stuff (since it is probably less important): I wish I'd taken micro, cell or genetics instead of biochem. I think it would have been much higher yield for me at my school.
Now for the important stuff. I wish I'd actually listened to all the advice I'd gotten here and elsewhere from people who'd gone before me. Lots of folks told me that school would be intense enough without beating myself up before and after every exam. Needless to say, I didn't listen and my BP was significantly higher during first year as a result.
I wish I'd truly known how much fun medical school can be, despite the pain-in-the-ass stuff that is going to happen regardless of where you are or what you're doing. Despite the workload, most of the time I can say a horrible day in medical school beats the hell out of a good day at work.
So, my advice is to relax as much as possible and enjoy med school.
Take care and good luck!
Jeff Jarvis

QUOTE (spacecadet @ Apr 29 2003, 02:52 PM)
Saw this question posted on SDN with lots of great replies. I figured we could get some even better replies going over here. So, what should I know that I don't?
What do you wish you had known when you started med school?

Hi there,
I wish I had rested more during vacation time. I worked like a fool, doing a Respiratory Therapy shift here and there for the money. The money was great and paid for lots of extras especially those travel expenses interviewing for residency but I wish I had just taken the time off and rested.
Medical school is intense and residency is more intense. You can bet that I am taking every second of off time now. I am doing my studying in between cases and on-call nights. I am going to be ragged out so I am just ragged out and knowledgeable.
You can't learn everything and you CAN burnout trying! You should get away from the panic during exam periods and stay home or find a quiet nook for your own "power review". Don't listen to folks who feel the need to brag about how good they are. It is usually the opposite situation. If you are not completely comfortable with a situation or procedure, ask questions and get someone with more experience to watch you.
You will never regret not spending more time studying but you will regret not spending more time with your family. Budget them into your time and give them your UNDIVIDED attention. This is as good for you as for them.
Don't whine after an exam and complain about the questions. Write out your problems and leave it at that. Whining and complaining does not get the problem solved. Whining and complaining makes you feel worse and the problem is still there.
Have fun! tongue.gif
Natalie (Gee, I found a computer that let me get to this website around the VA firewall)
QUOTE (njbmd @ Apr 30 2003, 02:00 AM)
Don't whine after an exam and complain about the questions. Write out your problems and leave it at that. Whining and complaining does not get the problem solved. Whining and complaining makes you feel worse and the problem is still there.

Howdy Natalie!
I'll have to disagree with your wisdom on the benefits of bitching about exams. I've now raised this to an art form. If done correctly, it can be a beautiful thing to behold. Truly beautiful. Really.
Instead of upsetting me, I actually find it cathartic and entertaining. Especially the entertaining part. Of course, this is usally more entertaining if done over a Black and Tan at the pub. smile.gif
Take care,
Jeff

Pam, what I wish I’d known earlier in med school is the same thing I wish I’d known earlier in parenthood. When I had one child, the time demands consumed me. When I had my second child, I realized that there was a lot more time in the day than I had realized. Same with med school - it wasn’t until second year that I was able to appreciate how much free time I had had during first year.
So I will echo what Natalie said - make time for yourself and your family even when you don’t think you have any. Even if you spend every last minute of the day studying you still won’t know it all.
The other thing I wish I’d known was how energizing and relaxing regular exercise is. I’ve managed to get into a good workout routine this year, my tough year of med school!!! I sure wish I’d appreciated the value of exercise sooner. I had plenty of time during 1st and 2d year when I could’ve gone to the gym between classes… and I feel stupid for missing that opportunity.
I guess my point there is, just as you schedule class time and study time, schedule alone time, family time, couple time, exercise time, rest time… they are every bit as important. Don’t push yourself really hard (i.e., skimping on sleep, food, exercise, human contact) while promising yourself, “I’ll make it up next week, after this exam is over.” There is ALWAYS going to be another test looming. Keep the personal priorities part of your regular schedule.

What do I wish I had known?
I wish I had known that everyone else was feeling as overwhelmed as I was. I wish I had known that I WOULD make it through (the first year anyway), and that things that seemed impossible last fall, really aren't. I wish I had known what good friends I would end up making, and how much fun I would really have. I wish I had known that the age difference between my classmates and myself really would disappear for all practical purposes; I wish I hadn't been self-conscious about my age at the start. I wish I had known that studying in a group really does make it more fun. I wish I had known how valuable multi-colored pens are. I wish I had known that I could survive on 4 hours sleep a night for extended periods- but that I really didn't need to. I wish I had known I would always be behind where I thought I should be, but would always catch up just in time.
But… I don't REALLY wish I had known those things, because learning them has been a journey, and a process. It's been part of a time of my life that won't come again. I'll never be a first year med student again, and the experience has been incredible.

I wish I had realized how important it was to consistently set realistic short-term goals for myself. This has really helped me get through time when I felt like my entire career was going down the toilet…I just didn't have the right expectations in mind. There are few things nicer than meeting and beating your expectations.
I've learned that when it comes down to test taking, I may win some and lose some, but I'm going to learn some every single time.
I didn't realize before hand (although it seems so obvious now) that I really can't do this alone. I need the help of others. On the other hand I have also learned about how much of this really is in my control and as long as I keep in mind my short term goals while realizing that this is all for some distant goal, I'll get through it and be successful at it. But the end result is up to me. I can be at the greatest medical institution in the world but could still learn nothing if I don't concentrate my efforts on the right things.
I realize now how important it is to learn some each day but have fun some each day too…when the two mix (like when I'm watching a neat case or connect with a patient/teacher/classmate) it makes it all the better.

Thanks so much for these responses! It’s very enlightening, and I really appreciate your taking the time to answer.
I’m surprised OMD hasn’t piped in yet. Dave, where are you? You busy or something? Can’t imagine. smile.gif
Natalie, your advice especially struck home for me. I’ve been wanting to quit my job and stay home with the kids this summer, but my husband is more worried about the money. Well, I made my case (with your help, and help from others) and I’ll be resigning today.
Pam

Congratulations on your decision to give yourself a break between work and medschool!
I would’ve done the same thing in your spot. I understand the money thing, but 3 months (+) or (-) your income is not going to factor into the grand scheme of things in the longterm. Three months at home w/ your boys will be a time you always remember wink.gif

Pam -
I second what jerir said. This summer and next will be your last big blocks of free time for a long time…cherish this time that you will have with your boys. smile.gif
Enjoy your summer!

Pam,
Good for you for making the opportunity to spend the summer with your boys. wink.gif I am sure it will be a summer you will never forget or regret. Your are in at a great med school. Now enjoy the lazy days of summer.