What is OldPreMeds how does it work?

I’m so glad to have found this site in the last month. I have been on the path toward med school officially since last fall and it is such a relief to find a community of my peers in this adventure.

Thank you all for creating OldPreMeds!

What’s the ETA for StudentDoctor.net integration?

I have logged onto this forum dozens of times with questions to post, but after a brief search of previous posts I find what I needed. This is truly a “living” treasure trove of information with personality. Also, the fact that this forum has survived so for long brings me comfort in knowing that I have a reliable support network. Its so motivating to read previous postings of OPM’ers that have started where I’m at and who are now long passed their residencies. I guess it makes the goal a bit more tangible when there are so many great examples. When I first found this site I was in disbelief! It was as if I stumbled upon a village of fairies and I said aloud, “They do exist…old pre-med students do exist!”

Ok, I’m an old-premed fairy???

ok,

sigh

Kate

And all the who’s down in whoville cried out “We’re here, we’re here!!”

Kate, Viki I knew that the fairy comment would create some witty remarks! But its true. Before I found this forum I have never met anyone my age that has desired to start a career in medicine and I work part time in a level 1 ER! So for me, yes, you are some what of a fairy…in whoville…

No Prob. Your original post with “old premed students – they do exist!” reminded me of the Christmas M & M commercials with Santa and the candies looking at each other “He does exist!” “They do exist!”

I’m sure that’s what you were going for.

I know what you mean. This seemed like a pipedream to me till I got on the OPM website (thankfully early in my journey" and read a post from a 52 year old med student. It seemed unbelievable. Yet here I am

Kate

HA… That’s so great. When I started about 18 months ago, I thought to myself, “Wow… I am blazing a trail that has NEVER been blazed before! I will be the only person crazy enough to do this…how in the world will I know what to do?”

Imagine my surprise…I’m not original at all! (And I’m SO fine with that! )

Everything posted in here the past few days makes me smile. While we might not be the first to “do something so crazy at this age!”, we’re still a rare/exotic species. Bengal Tiger Pre Meds = OPM’ers.

I honestly just want to go to Vegas again this year. I took my MCAT during a Vegas vacation last year (yes, I know, bad timing). I don’t think I can justify the cost of going this year though, even though I think this would be a fun conference to attend.

Hey everyone! Well I am pretty stoked I found this website. I do not even know how I came across it to be quite honest. Must have been destiny! I was actually just talking this week to some friends at work about starting a pre med advisory group of some sort. We are all non traditional students (Im in the army and we are instructors at a sort of medic course)and a significant number of us are applying to med school. We all seem to have questions that are not easily answered. I will definitely be passing this website along to my friends.

Welcome, Dave!