What is the correct plan of action?

I am 28 years old, I am married with two children, and it is necessary for me to continue working. That being said, I would like to know, based on knowledge and experience, how I should proceed to prepare for medical school.

I am in the last two semesters of my B.S. in Criminal Justice. I was a Police Officer for 5 years. While training a recruit, we discussed life and what we wanted out of it. I realized at that time that I felt called to do something more with my life. I have always felt a calling to serve people. I decided that I was not serving them in the way I want to. After substantial research and careful consideration, I decided to pursue a career in medicine.

I have a decent G.P.A. of 3.4. My issue is that I have no science credits and I have not taken a science class since high school. I have been told that a medical school will not entertain the idea of accepting me without a science based undergrad degree. I am aware of the perquisites for the schools I will apply to and I have been inquiring on where to take them.

Due to the fact that I must work, I am considering going to EMT school in order to get into the medical field and make some money. I read a few posts on here about “rushing an application” and that is something I do not want to do.

Basically, I am looking for advice and guidance on how to prepare and proceed with my educational and career goals.

Thank you to all who respond.

Chris

Who ever told you that a med school will not “entertain the idea” of accepting you based on a non-science degree was dead wrong. Lately, some med schools even prefer that you don’t have a science focused degree as it shows you are a well rounded candidate. To short answer your question, you are just as strong a candidate as everyone else. You just need to do well on pre-reqs and mcat among other things. I’m a business major and still going for the M.D.!

• cgng0725 Said:
I am 28 years old, I am married with two children, and it is necessary for me to continue working. That being said, I would like to know, based on knowledge and experience, how I should proceed to prepare for medical school.

I am in the last two semesters of my B.S. in Criminal Justice. I was a Police Officer for 5 years. While training a recruit, we discussed life and what we wanted out of it. I realized at that time that I felt called to do something more with my life. I have always felt a calling to serve people. I decided that I was not serving them in the way I want to. After substantial research and careful consideration, I decided to pursue a career in medicine.

I have a decent G.P.A. of 3.4. My issue is that I have no science credits and I have not taken a science class since high school. I have been told that a medical school will not entertain the idea of accepting me without a science based undergrad degree. I am aware of the perquisites for the schools I will apply to and I have been inquiring on where to take them.

Due to the fact that I must work, I am considering going to EMT school in order to get into the medical field and make some money. I read a few posts on here about "rushing an application" and that is something I do not want to do.

Basically, I am looking for advice and guidance on how to prepare and proceed with my educational and career goals.

Thank you to all who respond.

Chris

I do agree with Acct_to_Med, that was erroneous info that advisor gave you. You do not have to have a science undergraduate degree. However, you will need to have the same science prereqs (1 yr of Bio, chemistry, physics and organic chemistry), also you might consider taking a couple of upper level sciences such as biochemistry and genetics.

Many people need to work full-time while going for their prereqs, but understand that when it comes to medical school, working really isn't encouraged.

Good luck!

Agree with the others re: non-science degree. I think many schools are actually actively seeking non-science majors in order to get a better diversity of students. What they will want to see is that you have done well in your pre-req science work.

As far as how to proceed, I think you’ve got the right idea by thinking about a “slow and steady” pace. My recommendation is that you start by getting some strong math background if you don’t already have that. You want to have a VERY solid foundation and understanding of both advanced algebra and trigonometry before you start with your chemistry and physics pre-reqs.

I’m assuming that you’ve got an idea where you’d like to take your post-bacc science work. Have you thought about where you’d like to go to med school and whether you’d like to go the MD or DO route? Some med schools have a preference for the type of institution at which you take your pre-med courses.

You will find in reading the posts on this forum that there really isn’t a “correct” plan of action. There are many paths by which non-traditional students become physicians. Best of luck as you begin the journey!

I have to concur strongly with all that has been previously said. A non-science degree, as long as you have the preqs, will not put you at a disadvantage. Indeed, many schools look for well rounded individuals. I would suggest that a few additional advanced bio courses would be a great help on your record, especially if you have been out of school for a few years. Biochem, Genetics, molecular biology, etc.

I strongly agree with suggestions on math. The algebra and trig in chem and physics kills more students than anything.