What makes a Good Candidate?

OK,OK— I know GPA and MCAT scores are on top of the list-

I’ll be 43-44 yrs of age when I take the MCAT-

So, I’m thinking that I will need to accomplish even more as a candidate?

-In addition, I heard that applicants that do well on the MCATS but, have a degree in a Non-related field are more attractive?

Please advise …

Take a breath. No secret to what makes a good candidate; have a story. Grades and scores matter but the personal statement (PS) is what opens the door after the grades and scores, after that then your interview gets you the fat envelope. There are plenty of nontrad candidates that seem to get in with lower scores but that is because they are able to convince the adcoms via paper (PS) and interview that they are worth a shot. Know why you need to be a physician and be able to articulate that passionately…easier said than done.

• PreMed.70 Said:

-In addition, I heard that applicants that do well on the MCATS but, have a degree in a Non-related field are more attractive?

The statistics showing non-science majors having higher acceptance rates are completely accurate and utterly misleading. I examined the data last year and found that across ALL majors, acceptees had 3.6 science, 3.7 overall, and 30 MCAT. This would indicate that the pool of applicants within each major are significantly different from one another