What should I do?

This semester I took a biology 100 class (my first one, so I could get acclimated to science again). I have been out of school for 11 years now (30 yrs old). Currently I have a C or a C- in the class, but that is due to a medical issue. I work full time and go to school full time, pre-med. This entire year I’ve recieved A’s in my classes. My question is, should I drop this bio class and get a W or just bite the bullet and take the C.

1st - see if there is some salvage opportunity through the professor. Tell him/her about your circumstances & see what comes of it. Ask his/her advice - great way to begin clutivating a relationship with a prof that may end up being a LoR author for you.

2nd - drop the class & take the ‘W’ - far less damaging than a ‘C’ in a core freshman-level class.

Agree with OMD. Do not get a C in this class if you can instead drop and get a W but first talk to the professor. If there is truly a medical issue they should be able to accomodate for that.

I’ve tried talking with her about my medical issue (panhypopituitarism). She then stated, “I would rather have my arm broken for the rest of my life, than have what you had.” One of my tests was not so good; she then said, “I wouldn’t want you to be my doctor.” Nice jab in the back there. I think it’s a loss cause to try and work with her. I am going to see if my doc can write a statement of what’s going on, and withdraw.

Thanks!

Yes. Stop working with this professor. Get your doctor’s letter. Consider going to the office at your university that provides assistance to students with disabilities. They will recognize that her attitude is not only unhelpful but likely illegal. Depending on the timing of events and when you asked for help and didn’t receive it you may not only be able to drop with a W but without any trace. But that is not the most important thing: given what you’re saying here, a W is definitely the best course of action. This can be explained if need be in the process of applying to medical school.

However, your primary problem may be trying to work full-time and go to school full-time, a task which most people generally find impossible to do well, regardless of pituitary function. With other freshman-level courses you can get away with this; with the pre-med science courses it is orders of magnitude more difficult. When you drop the course, regroup to figure out how to reset your expectations about how you can do excellently in school; you may need more time, or less income.

Good luck.

j