What to do....what to do....

Alrightey…change number one hundred thirty nine…
I am completely clueless on which school to attend and figured I’d get some ideas. Here’s what I’m looking at.
1. $3k/year, 40 miles away, 50 students/class, all classes available
2. $3k/year, 15 miles away, 200 students/class, all classes available
3. $20k/year, 3 miles away, 10 students/class, limited classes during the summer.
4. $20k/year, 10 miles away, 15 students/class, all classes available
I’m not worried about the pre-med advisors offering assistance because I’ve learned to “trust no one…expect sabotage”. My concern with the large class size is getting lost in the crowd and LOR’s indicating that fact. However the price of the one on one is quite high…
Any recommendations? Once I come to a conclusion someone experienced gives advice which sounds good but…??? I’ve never taken courses with more than 20-30 students…then again I’ve never paid $20k for 2 semesters of school…
What cha say OPM’s…whacha say?

personally, I like option #2. A large class size can be overcome if you use the profs office hours for help or questions. Can’t beat the tuition!
DRD

I like the first two options, then it’s whichever school you like better (I personally would pick #1 but that’s because I am a small class person).
I was pretty much in the same situation when I did my post-bacc. I was accepted to two schools, one a state school that was $7.5k (class size 20-75) and a private, well-known post-bacc program for $20+k (class size 20). I did not want to saddle my husband with debt and knew that my undergrad was strong, so I didn’t need a “name” school.
Both schools were about 3 miles from each other and about 35-40 miles from my house. I actually enjoyed the commute. It gave me a chance to just listen to the radio. One of the women (who is also now in my med school class) commuted 1 1/2 hours one way to come to school.
I chose the state school and loved it. The professors knew who I was because they knew I was doing my post-bacc. Plus the lab classes were small enough that you got to know the professors (while this school has a graduate program, you don’t just have TA’s in any of your classes or labs). I feel that I received just as good of an education for my $7.5k that I would have for my $20+k and did not have the emotional anguish of putting my family in debt (we lost over half of our income when I stopped working).
Just my humble experience. Good luck.
Tara

Just for a bit of perspective, Harvard Extension School has classes of over 200 people in the basic pre-req courses, but it breaks them out into discussion sections of 10-15 people, plus a goodly amount of office hours, help room hours, encouragement to study in groups, and lots of web site resources. If you don’t like your section teacher, you’re encouraged to try other sections. The profs are quite open to writing letters of recommendation; they say visit us and let us get to know you so we can write you a better LOR. In short, they give you the tools you need.
I don’t feel lost in these large classes; in fact there’s a lot of energy, diversity, and excitement to these classes as a result. It’s easy to visit with the health careers director and the administrator, who will give you the frank and honest advice that you need. HES has a pretty good placement record so they must be doing something right. I hope your school has similar resources.
I would say, go with your instincts. $20K sounds like a lot, and if you have two years’ worth of coursework it’s going to add up, but if that what it takes to get you to your goal–well, it’s only money. Personally I would try the option #2 for a semester; if it’s not what I needed, I would try to move to one of the other programs for the spring semester.
Good luck!

I lean towards option #2 as well due to price and commute.

Soooooo…the consensus is save the money and the mileage and go to option #2??
I’ve been flipping back & forth with option 2. Only reason is the fact that the general “attitude” at option 2 is ridiculous. You get handed a chip to place on your shoulder the second you’re admitted…
I would prefer to avoid the attitude BS. I had enough of it in the military. However, the tuition and drive is definitely worth it. Phone conversations and level of service will dictate. Thanks for the input.

How would the 40 mile drive be during the time you would be driving it?

It depends…if I leave with enough time to get me to school…I’d never make it. The highway is a parking lot from 7-9am.
If I leave at the crack of dawn then I would be fine. I’m used to getting up early so a thought is to get up early, workout and then get to class at around ~8am.

Option #2 seems to be the best one IMHO!!! I am somewhat in the same bind when I finish my AAS degree and move to Rochester, NY to work and finish my undergrad work. I would love to go to RIT for their Biotechnology program but, tuition is steep and for two years of work, I’d rather invest that kind of money in medical school debt so, I’m opting for SUNY-Brockport…15-20 miles from Rochester but, for the tuition and reputation of their Biochemistry prigram, it’s worth the drive…Take care and good luck with your decision!

It seems more & more that option #2 will be the one. I can’t believe I’m putting so much energy into the school as if that in and of itself will guarantee success. The good thing with option #2 is they are opening the first public medical school in 25 years. I think I should be eligible to apply for the first graduating class. That would be kinda cool…being a plankowner of a med school. It would also have it’s drawbacks till they figure things out but the goods comes with the bad.
Funny…I’m still not 100%. First impressions and all…they were horrible when I went to visit but beggars can’t be choosers…