Where best to do pre-reqs?

Cheers all -

I’m looking to do my science prerequisites. My primary question: does it make a difference if these are taken at a university vs. a community college? While I would obviously prefer to go the university route, I’m a 34 yr old single mother with a daughter who’ll be heading to college in a few years plus a recent MBA of my own to pay off. I’d love to drop everything and go to school full-time right now, but that’s just not possible under the circumstances.

Financial stress aside, I haven’t been able to find a school in the area (central TX) that even offers all the classes I need in the evening - for the obvious reasons, I’m not in a position to disappear for 2 hrs in the middle of the day, which makes community college a more attractive option.

Of course I don’t want to go through the effort of taking so many courses just to find the adcoms laugh off city college credits. I have heard it both ways here - “CC is fine” and “don’t even bother doing prereqs at CC”. I’ve wanted to be a doctor most of my life, and now that my daughter is growing up I finally have a shot at making that happen. I’m told that if I do well in the prereqs I’ll have a decent chance getting in, and I definitely don’t want to take a wrong turn now!

I’d be so grateful for any advice or insight.

Thanks so much!

Lupe

Well this seems to be the most common question asked by OPMs. The answer is “it depends”. Some schools will flat out not take CC prereqs…Duke comes to mind. Others will.

The best advice I can give is wherever you take them do well and do well on the MCAT. I’m taking Chem 1 & 2 and Phy 1 $ 2 and the local CC. Bio & Orgo I’ll be taking at the state university. My reason is I’ve heard enough friends and students complain about chem and phy at the state uni to go that route.

I’m hoping to do well on the MCAT (30+) and if not then I’ll be applying to some type of special masters.

So in all this rambling what I’m saying is the most important thing is that you do well in your prereqs and MCAT.

I second that motion. Do well and take them where you can. If you go CC route, which I agree is cheaper and more convenient, you will have to check out which medical schools differentiate between CC and UNI classes.

The only other thing to consider is the quality of CC vs UNI classes in your area. I did 2 years at CC before transferring to a UNI, I held a 4.0 GPA at CC while working FT, but my GPA at the UNI after 2 years was a 3.4 only working PT (but I was actually challenged here). I wish I could have gone all 4 years at the UNI due to the fact that the local CC’s are not rigorous enough. It differs from area to area, so this you would have to check out.

If there is a will, there is a way, don’t give up.

Thanks so much to both of you for the thoughtful replies! I am so grateful for any hints from others on this path, and you present very valid points.

I will do as much as possible via the university, and take cc classes where necessary. Fortunately, the schools I want to attend do accept the cc credits, and I’m trying to find a creative way to rearrange my life to accomodate some daytime classes too.

Again, muchas gracias!

I took couple of classes in a community college. But it was before I decided to go to medical school, so only one of these classes was really my prerequisite. When I decided to pursue pre-med I transfered to 4-year university. And…here comes a surprise! I did much better in the university! After almost 3 years I’m maintaing 3.89 GPA. While in the CC I think I got somewhere around 3.61 or so. Fact that at that time I was not so focused and didn’t have intention to go to med school. But still…I don’t necessary agree that CC college is that much easier. Many of the professors from my University actually teach in the CC that I attended, so I don’t think they would lower their requirements significantly!

And of course I got asked at my Penn State interview, how is it possible that I did better in the university than I did in the CC .

Whatever you didcide make sure you do your best!!!

• madkasia Said:
And of course I got asked at my Penn State interview, how is it possible that I did better in the university than I did in the CC .

"Just imagine how well I'll do in medical school!" should've been your reply.
  • croooz Said:
  • madkasia Said:

"Just imagine how well I'll do in medical school!" should've been your reply.

Good idea Crooz!

I have to remember it just in case I get some more interviews and get asked the same question again