Where can I find a list of Latin American/Mexican medical schools?

Does anyone know where I can find reliable information or a list of Latin American medical schools that take foreigners (i.e. an American such as myself)? I am familiar with the UAG’s (Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara) international medical program and I’ve read about a few other schools in Mexico (one in San Luis Potosi, one in Tijuana) but they don’t seem to have formal programs for foreigners. There is, of course, the free one in Latin American School of Medicine in Havana, Cuba that does take Americans but I exceed their age limit.

Thanks.

• nahani2 Said:
Does anyone know where I can find reliable information or a list of Latin American medical schools that take foreigners (i.e. an American such as myself)? I am familiar with the UAG's (Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara) international medical program and I've read about a few other schools in Mexico (one in San Luis Potosi, one in Tijuana) but they don't seem to have formal programs for foreigners. There is, of course, the free one in Latin American School of Medicine in Havana, Cuba that does take Americans but I exceed their age limit.

Thanks.

http://www.valuemd.com/

why are you so bent on foreign medical schools? There are serious limitations on residency and medical licensing opportunities being an FMG

Rich:

Thanks for the link to ValueMD.

To answer your question:

I believe I had “messed up” my post-bacc sufficiently that my chances of getting into a U.S. medical school, whether DO or MD, are slim. My post-bacc GPA is lower than my undergrad GPA. Given my age (46), science GPA, I was advised by some of my professors (and even my relatives) to look into foreign medical schools. I realize that although residency and U.S. licensing are problematic, it is not impossible to get a decent residency if it is a field that is not highly sought after. If I do go for an FMG, I can take the USMLE and other necessary exams and thus get licensed in two countries (U.S. and other country). Since I ultimately plan on doing international/rural health, perhaps in Latin America or Africa or at least “border health” anyway, having dual licensure may increase my changes of finding a field medical position with a health care NGO or (ideally for me), the World Health Organization, Pan American Health Organization, or a medical non-profit or I could start a health care non-profit of my own (I’ve done this before, but not as a doctor.)

I still plan on applying to U.S. medical schools, especially those with strong rural-health programs (hence my other post about medical schools with rural programs), but I want to try for foreigns schools as well.

I realize that rural international health/relief care is not as lucrative nor prestigious as urban-based, high-demand, high-stakes medicine. U.S.-based premeds who want the latter are probably wise to try for a U.S. medical school in order to ensure getting a high-in-demand U.S. residency, and be able to practice in the U.S.