where do I take my science classes?

My Bachelor’s degree is in Communication Sciences and Disorders. After taking a couple of years off to evaluate my goals, I’m ready to pursue a medical degree (D.O.).

Here’s the problem: I need to start (almost) from scratch with my science coursework. My original plan was to go back to university and take the classes I need. Unfortunately I live in San Francisco and none of the State universities (cal state and UC) are accepting second bachelor applications. Some private schools are, but I can’t afford them. So I’m facing a difficult choice. Option (1) I move away from my spouse (who can’t move with me) to complete the coursework at a university elsewhere or Option(2) I take the necessary classes at a community college.

My question to the general community is: Will my chances of being accepted to a D.O. program be affected by where I take my classes? Even though all the coursework I would be taking at either place would be lower division classes, will it make a difference if my science classes are from a community college vs university?

(in case it makes a difference, I got a 3.1 GPA in my BA)

Read the following link:


To add to the link, craigmire is attending Western U and OMTDave is almost done at North Texas. (Both are osteopathic medical schools if you didn’t know.)

I made it into a Cal State as a post-bacc before things went south, but I can relate in some ways. At my campus they’re talking about getting rid of the physics department entirely. Of course that’s the last pre-req I have left to do. I talked to an advisor at a DO school (WVSOM) recently about it, and about the possibility of taking that sequence at a community college instead. His advice to me was that they were fine with CC classes, but in my case it would look “funny” to do all of my other pre-reqs at a university then do physics at a CC; however, he said that I could write a letter explaining that the reason was the budget cuts.

With that in mind I think you’re safe to take them at a CC. Particularly since it sounds like you basically have to take them all. If it bothers you that you’re not doing them at a university, perhaps you might want to contact some potential schools you’re interested in applying to about it. You could also plan to explain the circumstances when you apply, but I’m fairly certain you’ll be just fine.

ETA: No matter what the budget status is, UC’s never accept post-bacc/second degree students. Just their policy.

You don’t need a second bachelor’s degree…just the pre-med course work. Have you investigated the post-bacc program at SFSU? Or taking courses at UC Berkeley extension? Or trying to take the courses as a non-matriculated (or “open university”) student at SFSU ar Cal State EB? (Don’t know how difficult that is these days.)



Thank you everyone for your comments thus far, they have been extremely helpful. Please keep them coming!!

To answer Judy’s question; I have researched both the UC’s and the Cal States (of which SFSU is one) and none of them are accepting post bacc applications at all; even the extensions. I considered non-matriculated status, but it’s not any better.

http://www20.csueastbay.edu/prospective/how-to-ap p…

budget cuts, budget cuts, budget cuts!


cal state fullerton DOES have a post bacc program for health sciences:


you can make an appt online with a counselor to discuss what you need to do. i understand that this whole process is intimidating, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask someone “in the know” about the program as CSUF.