Where to beginning...

I was wondering if anyone was looking for a mcat support buddy cause I could def use one…

I’ve decided to re-apply to medical school next year which will require me re-taking the mcat and I am having the hardest time figuring out how/where to begin.

It has been a LONG time since I took the pre-reqs and I am currently enrolled in a biochem and cell bio class since I haven’t taken hard sciences in a well.

I would like to take the mcat (for the last time) in May so I feel like I need to get started now. The problem is, every time I think about the exam I start panicking. I want to sign up for a prep course but I’m not sure if its too early (start date in October) since I’m not planning to take the exam till May? The next course starts in Feb.

I just feel very alone and scared. I really don’t know how to approach this. The last time I tried studying for the mcat (2007) I did horribly and went on to something else but now I’m back because I don’t want to give up because of my fear of this exam.

Sorry for the long-winded msg. Just feeling frustrated and overwhelmed.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

ang

Hey Ang

Not sure what your background is but you may want to (re)take the basics again as prep for the MCAT and to set up your application. This would likely push out your application date a year through. Many have posed the question though: Is your goal to get into med school or get into med school quickly? I ended up pushing my application out a year and I am very glad I did.

But aside from that, I think a review course would be a good idea. It you don’t feel you want to retake the basic prereqs again, the prep course will give you a good refresher / overview of the more important components. In addition, the course will give you an understanding of how to take the MCAT, because it is not like a regular undergrad course. You need to apply a strategy. From my point of view, if you are going for the May MCAT, I would enroll in the Oct course. Make sure you do lots of practice tests (that’s why Kaplan or Princeton are good).

Hope that helps.

Lynda

• Angelique10112 Said:
I was wondering if anyone was looking for a mcat support buddy cause I could def use one...

I've decided to re-apply to medical school next year which will require me re-taking the mcat and I am having the hardest time figuring out how/where to begin.

It has been a LONG time since I took the pre-reqs and I am currently enrolled in a biochem and cell bio class since I haven't taken hard sciences in a well.

I would like to take the mcat (for the last time) in May so I feel like I need to get started now. The problem is, every time I think about the exam I start panicking. I want to sign up for a prep course but I'm not sure if its too early (start date in October) since I'm not planning to take the exam till May? The next course starts in Feb.

I just feel very alone and scared. I really don't know how to approach this. The last time I tried studying for the mcat (2007) I did horribly and went on to something else but now I'm back because I don't want to give up because of my fear of this exam.

Sorry for the long-winded msg. Just feeling frustrated and overwhelmed.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

ang

Rule 1: Take a Breath

Rule 10: Beware of FUD -- Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

Breath In, Breath Out

As Ms. Simpson previously said, a review course in definitely in order. At the very least you need a diagnostic test to start and see where you are.

As importantly you need to not let you fear, uncertainty and doubt, especially with the likely low scores that you will get when you first taking MCAT practice exams and general prepping. Your attitude will be as important, if not more so than content

As a non-trad who has been out of school for quite some time, I basically had to change my lifestyle prior to taking the MCAT. This included changing my diet, exercise, study habit, sleep time, etc. What others suggested such as a prep course can help you if you are not really into self-study.

What really helped me was taking the AAMC full-length exams under the most realistic conditions I could possibly simulate. I got up at the same time, ate the same food, started and ended the practice exam at exactly the same time. After each full-length practice exam, I would devote at least a day or two just to review the entire exam and make some notes - which I used for quick review during my last week of MCAT study.

By the time I went into taking the real test, I was psychologically prepared. Best of luck to you.