Who Needs Doctors?

hi, i was wondering if anyone had read last week’s issue of USNews about Who Needs Doctors and what their thoughts were on it?
Even before reading the article, I wanted to try a new approach to medicine and after reading that magazine, it confirmed my belief that I don’t really want to become a doctor if the field of healthcare is becoming like that. i’ve been considering a DO because I am really interested in their way of treating the patient, but then again, I want an MD since I would like to practice abroad. So I was considering an MD from a school which has more osteopathic type of classes. I’m even considering becoming a Naturopathic Doctor because I am also interested in alternative medicine. What would be the best way to combine all my interests?

Quote:

hi, i was wondering if anyone had read last week’s issue of USNews about Who Needs Doctors and what their thoughts were on it?

Even before reading the article, I wanted to try a new approach to medicine and after reading that magazine, it confirmed my belief that I don’t really want to become a doctor if the field of healthcare is becoming like that. i’ve been considering a DO because I am really interested in their way of treating the patient, but then again, I want an MD since I would like to practice abroad. So I was considering an MD from a school which has more osteopathic type of classes. I’m even considering becoming a Naturopathic Doctor because I am also interested in alternative medicine. What would be the best way to combine all my interests?

Hi there,

You best option would be to go to medical school. Medical school gives you options and what you do with them depends on your personal interests. I will be combining my MD with a JD and working in the health care legislation arena.

As an MD, I have the option of learning osteopathic manipulations and incorporating acupuncture, naturopathic techniques, and other adjunctive/alternative medical techniques in my practice. How I practice medicine is largely up to me as long as I do not harm my patients.

I read the USN&WP article and it did not change or add to anything that I did not already know about the practice of medicine. This is a very difficult field with no guarantees but plenty of opportunities for people who love it.

Osteopathic physicians may practice overseas if they wish. In 2005, there is virtually no difference between an MD and a DO so either degree will prepare you for medical practice in any specialty or arena that you wish.

Good luck!

Natalie

I can’t recommend highly enough the importance of going to see real medical practice as it unfolds in a daily way. Whether through volunteering or shadowing doctors, this should clarify your values and choices relative to medical practice much more clearly than any magazine article could.
Good luck.
joe

Hi,
I did not read the article in US News but I caution you on making a decision based on one article. I agree with Joe that you should experience medicine in practice and make a decision that way. Also sit down and do some introspective work. Think about how you want to practice, in what arena,and what population of patients? This includes how you incorporate osteopathy and alternative medicine. There are pros and cons to all of your choices. Shadow each type of physician and see what you think.
Becoming a MD will be your most secure route. As a MD you will be able to practice internationally and, with extra training, as a naturopathic physician. The naturopathic programs are four years no residency acupuncture is about the same. You would be able to finish the program in a lot less time as you have already taken all of the biomedical classes.
I too want to work internationally and although DO’s in the US are on par with MD’s this is not the case abroad. DO’s in European countries practice like physical therapists and chiropractors. It may be possible to work that all out with the licensing agecies but you don’t know for sure.
As for the naturopathic route consider what you want to do when you get out. I would reccomend looking at the scope of practice in the states that do license natropaths as well as internationally. I think that some provicences in Canada license but I do not know of any others. Naturopathic schooling is also very expensice and exceeds 110k in tuition alone. It is very difficult for ND’s to pay off their student loans when they get out. Most ND’s start a private practice which can take years to get established. Those who succeed also have good business sense and put in a lot of extra hours marketing and running the day to day business. One of my naturopathic friends contemplated going back to school as a PA to increase her scope of practice and employability.
Currently, I practice as a Doctor of Oriental Medicine. I am so glad that I got this training and I love treating people with acupuncture, herbs, and nutritional therapy but I am very limited in what I can do. For me its frustrating. For a lot of my former classmates they would not have it any other way. So it just depends on you and what you want to do in practice. Another thing to think about is the population of patients that alternative medicine works with. Currently, most patients have to pay out of pocket spending $75 to $250 per visit. This dramatically limits the patient population. I can’t even afford what I do.
You will be able to help people with alternative medicine but your voice will be small when making any sort of “medical” decision.
Dana

Just wanted to chime in here…I did not read the article, but have struggled at least on some level with some of the things you mention. I have decided to stick with the MD route, although I was also accepted to a DO school and seriously considered taking that route. At this point I have my future sites set on a preventive medicine residency, which I feel will give me the best of all worlds. You can check out the info at http://www.acpm.org/ The American College of Preventive Medicine.
The most important thing is to seriously consider all routes and then go with your heart. Only you know which path best fits your goals.