Why can't I cry?

I have a 22 MCAT (no section less than a 7) with close to a 3.8 sci GPA and was accepted at KCUMB, and other DO schools. I knew I really didn’t have a chance with a low MCAT at MD schools and was iffy about getting in to DO schools. I never cared where I went be it MD/DO so after getting my MCAT score, I kinda knew which path I should apply to.
No matter what your next MCAT score is, cast a wider net for both MD and DO schools and do it early.
I’m sorry Gabe–I know the feeling is just awful but you have yet to hear from those last 2 schools. PCOM takes forever. I had my app in by Aug didn’t get an invite until Dec but declined it at that point because I had acceptances and was running low in cash and time.
Another thing, you said that you didn’t do timed tests–I think that is the key–I didn’t do as many timed tests as I should have and scored low too. At least you will have 1 MCAT under your belt and know what to expect.
Good Luck!

Hi Gabe,

After you have had your drink, it’s time to re-group your troops. You need to take a very impartial look at why you did not get in this year. There are some things that are out of your control such as the number and calibre of folks who applied to the same schools that you applied to.

There are some things that are well within your control such as buffing your application; improving your MCAT score if you need or want to; applying to more schools with wider ranges of averages etc.

If medicine is your goal and you did not succeed this year, then figure out objectively, what you can do to make yourself more competitive for next year and re-apply. One thing for sure, is that you are armed with more experience this year. I can’t tell you how many of my classmates applied a second and third time but they are physicians today so get busy!

Natalie

Thanks to everyone for their advise and encouragement. I was a little off in my science GPA, it is not a 2.0 but rather a 2.56.
There is nothing I can do right now other than study hard and retake the MCAT. Once I have that done and I get all of the responses, as I am still waiting on 3 schools, then I can contact schools and formulate a game plan.
After talking with my wife, she agreed that being restricted to the east coast is not a good idea and as long as we are not in a corn field, she is willing to go anywhere.
I have started to look at more DO schools as I feel that my philosophy that use as an EMT matches more to a DO than an MD. I have also started to look into SMPs.
Even Rocky lost the first fight to Mr. T only to come back and beat him. Thanks again. Pity Party is over.