Why Osteopathy?

Hi all!
I’ve been thinking more and more about applying to DO schools. At the beginning of my journey, I just automatically assumed I’d pursue allopathic, but after conducting a little research on DO, I’ve discovered that my idea of the patient as a “whole” being aligns better with the osteopathic methodology. smile.gif
So, I’m curious! Those who are interested in, are studying at, or have graduated from an osteopathic program - What were the reasons you decided to go DO? (Ha ha, made a rhyme laugh.gif )
Have a great weekend everyone! Thanks in advance for your responses!
Rose

I can't answer for myself, but my wife is a D.O. who graduated from CCOM in 2001. She simply went the D.O. route because she was waitlisted at a number of allopathic schools she applied to, and didn't want to wait a year to begin her medical education (a year wasted is a year less of salary in her view - she is practical to the point of pain sometimes). I saw firsthand what she learned (and was often her OMM practice 'dummy'). Basically, it seemed that they learned Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine in addition to everything else you'd learn in an allopathic program. OMM consists of manipulating the body to help resolve problems, and is used before resorting to the next step, prescribing meds. A D.O. is a great degree, especially if you're interested in a primary care field. I think it's a bit tougher having a D.O. degree and competing for non-primary care fields. Plus, not only do you have to take the osteopathic version of the USMLEs, but if you want to apply to allopathic residencies, then you must take the USMLEs as well, so you're being double tested. But, overall, this is a small price to pay to get into medical school in my opinion. good luck.

QUOTE (rbanerji @ Mar 28 2003, 07:42 PM)
I think it's a bit tougher having a D.O. degree and competing for non-primary care fields. Plus, not only do you have to take the osteopathic version of the USMLEs, but if you want to apply to allopathic residencies, then you must take the USMLEs as well, so you're being double tested. But, overall, this is a small price to pay to get into medical school in my opinion. good luck.

Hi there,
The differences between DO and MD are so slight these years that they can almost seen non existant. As for the double testing, the more tests you take, the better you become at taking them. I did well on USMLE Step I but by the time I had taken all of those shelf exams during my third year, USMLE Step II was much easier than Step I. I also scored 18 points higher on Step II which really made a difference in my interviews for residency and my eventual residency position.
Even as a resident, you don't stop taking tests! Every year, as a surgical resident, I take the ABSITE exam. Orthopedic surgery, anesthesia, internal medicine, pediatrics and other specialties have a version of this exam. There are also plenty of excellent osteopathic residencies that are not even open to allopathic grads so you have an opportunity to get into a great residency program without even taking USMLE!
As you get into practice, you are goint to find that good medicine is good medicine. The initials behind your name are not that important. Good residency programs are looking for good physicians. One of the criteria for selection into a residency program is your peformance on the national boards either COMLEX or USMLE or both. If the roles were reversed and I had been required to take both COMLEX and USMLE, I would have been the first in line to experience both. Here at UVA, one of the top residency locations in the country, we have plenty of DOs practicing alongside MDs. Every residency program here welcomes DO graduates. I found the same case at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN (another top residency location).
The number of DO schools is growing in comparision to the number of MD schools. As the general public has gotten more educated to seeing the DO physician and appreciating that they are the same as an MD, they generally don't care. They just want a good doctor to take care of their needs!
Go to the medical school that is a good fit and that you can gain acceptance into. If you lived in Rochester, MN but were unable to get into Mayo Medical school, you would have a difficult time practing medicine. Medicine gives you options no matter where you go to school. Enjoy!
Natalie