Wife is pregnant...having doubts

Hi, my name is Steve and I live in NYC. I am happy that I found this site and I am very encouraged by all the non-traditional applicants out there. Makes me feel less alone in this process.

However, I just found out that my wife is pregnant and I am having serious doubts about going through with my dream of becoming a doctor. I’m worried that I won’t be there for my kid(s) and my wife. I am worried that not only will I not be bringing in any income but I will be amassing a huge amount of debt. I’m also concerned about how all of this will affect my ability to focus and not burn out/stress out if I do get into medical school.

I have put off the MCAT twice already and took Kaplan twice. I have been self-studying for the May 31st MCAT but ever since I found out about the pregnancy, it’s as if my passion for med school is helium and there is a slow but definite leak in my balloon. At this point I am ready to either give up the idea of going to med school completely or at least put it off until I can figure things out - yeah, right.

I would appreciate any advice, stories, etc. from anyone else that faced a similar situation. Thanks and good luck to you all!

Steve

Hi Steve. I am in a similar situation in that my wife and I are expecting as well. I am taking the MCAT in July and applying to medical school this summer. Like you, I have also put off the MCAT twice, thinking I wasn’t ready to take it. Therefore, after my undergrad, I decided to work in research for awhile to decide whether I may be interested in it as a career. Now, after about 2 years, I have decided that medicine is for sure what I want to do. Additionally, I am enrolling in a post-bac premed program to bring up my GPA a bit during the app cycle this year. Since our baby is due in Oct., I am very nervous about juggling everything and still maintaining myself at school. However, I believe that will and perserverance can overcome fear and qualms. If you really want it, you’ll get there. Others will see it. However, you have to make that call. But I would say do it only if you are 100% sure it is what you want to do.

Good luck and Congratulations!

If you are not ready now do not sweat it, let it go for some time. Once you figure out what you really want, you can make it happen. There is no need to rush into medical school…it will always be there for you. You can always pursue this path when your children are older like many of us did.