Willing to help with MCAT questions

There are some of us that have some specialty in certain areas and can answer questions that come up. I know that QofQuimica is a chemistry guru and she has been great at answering General Chemistry and Organic Chemistry Questions.
I am a molecular biologist by trade and can answer any question regarding genetics and molecular biology, two topics that are covered heavily in the BS section.
Is there anyone out there that can help with any other topics?
Leave your questions in this forum with the question as the subject and those that can answer that particular subject will leave a message with the answer. That way we can all benefit.
Thoughts?

Kind of like our own mini study questions forum on OPM? Sounds good to me. And like I said, I wasn’t criticizing you for posting your questions twice, Gabe. If you think it is helpful to post them in both places, please feel free.

No offense taken Q. In fact, in you want to make it easier, I can post the question and you can just copy and past the SDN link so that you won’t have to write it out twice.
Gabe

That’s what I did the last time, and I think it’s a good idea. We’ll do that from now on. How is your studying going? You’re re-taking in April, right?

Studying is going well. When I get home from work I attempt to get a couple hours of studying in but I am soooo beat that I wind up falling asleep on the couch before 10pm. I do get some studying done on my commute.
As you know I am taking the Kaplan online and I have improved pretty much all of my quizes and tests. I plan to take the full length next week and then start taking AAMC tests.
When I took the test in August, I would up guessing on 20-30 questions because I ran out of time. I plan on practicing my timing with the practice tests, the one thing I did not do for August.
I am taking it in April and am hoping that this will be the last time. All I need is a few more points accoring to my top choice.

I’m glad to hear that your practice test scores are going up. I hope that things go well for you next month. (There’s no luck icon like on SDN, so I’ll have to spell out “good luck.”)
BTW, if you didn’t know this, the AAMC has just come out with a new practice test: AAMC 9. It’s apparently available for purchase on their website, and it was released about a month ago. Kaplan doesn’t have it available to students yet, though, at least not at my center. I asked my manager when we’ll be getting it in the centers, and she hasn’t gotten back to me yet about that. But I thought it would be useful for people to know that there’s a new one out there.

Quote:

I’m glad to hear that your practice test scores are going up. I hope that things go well for you next month. (There’s no luck icon like on SDN, so I’ll have to spell out “good luck.”)
BTW, if you didn’t know this, the AAMC has just come out with a new practice test: AAMC 9. It’s apparently available for purchase on their website, and it was released about a month ago. Kaplan doesn’t have it available to students yet, though, at least not at my center. I asked my manager when we’ll be getting it in the centers, and she hasn’t gotten back to me yet about that. But I thought it would be useful for people to know that there’s a new one out there.

Kewl. I wonder how old 9 is–2004? I just did 5R the other week and am looking forward to a Kaplan diag every Saturday from here on out. Not sure if I’ll ever get to those wonderful Exam Kracker books I bought; I oughta, but between physics, Kaplan, massage therapy, and baby and wife I’m more than busy. Well perhaps there will be a few “like new” EK books in the OPM Conference raffle.
Maybe I should do an MCAT every day between now and 4-22? kidding kidding! even I’m not that crazy. I wonder how it would affect my outcome, though.

No, it was released two months ago: Jan. 2006.
I think if you did that many MCATs, you would crash and burn. Seriously. Pace yourself, and don’t do more than one per week. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns as far as taking full lengths is concerned. Good luck next month.

Can anyone explain normality to me? I have seen this on a few Kaplan tests, and its in their review book, but for some reason, I just dont get it? Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks, Tim

Quote:

Can anyone explain normality to me? I have seen this on a few Kaplan tests, and its in their review book, but for some reason, I just dont get it? Any help is greatly appreciated,
Thanks, Tim

Normality is generally used for acids (and sometimes with bases) to measure the number of equivalents of protons (or hydroxides) per mole (or molecule) of the undissociated acid. Normality will always be either equal to the molarity or else a multiple of the molarity. Most acids are monoprotic, and the normality will be the same as the molarity for any monoprotic acid (or monobasic base). For example, a 1M solution of HCl (or NaOH) will be 1N as well, because each HCl molecule contains one H+ in it. However, for a diprotic acid like H2SO4, there are two H+ ions per H2SO4. Therefore, a 1M solution of H2SO4 will be 2N. Triprotic acids are relatively rare; probably the only common example you’d see would be phosphoric acid (H3PO4). A 1M solution of H3PO4 would be 3N because there are 3H+ ions per H3PO4.
Hope this helps.