With COVID going on, what can I do NOW to bolster my application?

I’m 31 with a B.S. in Computer Science and looking to change careers and become a physician.

I need to start doing the things medical schools require of applicants: do volunteer work, clinical volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Unfortunately, because of COVID, it seems impossible to do any of the above.

My local hospital’s volunteering program is closed. No doctors are allowing shadowing. And so on.

It just seems impossible right now for a non-trad to build up a resumé worthy of med school.

My question is this: is there anything I can do at this very moment for my med school application?

If so, what can I do right now?

Thank you

I’m in the same situation. I’m 34 with a M.A. in Design Management, starting a post bacc program in the fall if COVID allows it. I’ve been asking local doctors and hospitals about shadowing/volunteering opportunities and it’s not happening. I’d like to know what I can do with my time right now that will help me reach my goal. Thanks!

Soup kitchens, contact tracing, cards/letters to 1st responders, volunteer at testing site. Continue to control what you can control, your studies, studying for MCAT, take extra classes (21 credits instead of 15), read.

1 Like

You can look into scribing if they allow it (I know a few doctors have gotten their scribes back recently) or looking at seeing what you can do to quickly become an EMT/MA/CNA. that will help build your clinical experience and they definitely need those. In my state (VA) you only need experience to be an MA without formal training and some places will train you.

1 Like

The soup kitchens in my city are closed. :frowning: I used to volunteer at one last summer, and I actually miss being there.

Opportunities will depend on your city and its restrictions. Contact tracing sounds like a good idea, but it also sounds like telemarketing - in other words, know what you’re getting into before you sign up. Learn about it beforehand.

The Red Cross is still taking blood drive volunteers.

I’m 30 with a law degree so I we are on the same boat as far as needing clinical experience. I am enrolling in a 1 semester CNA certification course. It has clinical hours and the length of certification is way shorter than that of an EMT or MA. Have you considered any one of those? Depending on location, some places will train you to be an MA without a certification and if not then it is at minimum a year long program.

Have you looked at taking online certification courses during COVID? I’ve taken a few at savealife.com that have helped. Many have turned to online learning so I would think that would be a positive way to help us all keep moving forward.

As for volunteering, you can always help behind a computer too. Reach out to the organization and ask what type of help they need. Sometimes creating newsletters, helping with their books, zoom calls with donors, etc… They all count towards volunteer hours and help the organization too.

Best of luck to you!

Just had a thought, have you looked into Crisis Textline?

Every weekend I put together a new list of clinics in my area and make calls throughout the week. It’s definitely a strength builder in terms of making cold calls (something I have always hated doing and still do, but am more at peace with the fact that I just have to do it now). For about every 30 calls I make I will find one clinic that will allow me to shadow them, and I usually tell them how many hours I am hoping for, but due to the current situation, I leave the final details to them and give thanks at every turn.

There are some rural towns nearby with a very “conservative” presence, and beginning this next week I plan to start calling them, as I know they are not as COVID conscious as other areas might be.

In an ideal world, I would find specialties I am truly interested in, and embark upon shadowing in those fields, but I’ve also heard that even pre-COVID, finding shadowing hours was not easy.

For volunteering hours, try finding a local Hospice organization in your area. You’ll have the most luck with a NFP hospice, and they will likely be in some form of virtual volunteering where you might become a companion to an elderly person you check in with once a week. Again, it’s not ideal, but it’s better than nothing.

Good luck!