WITHDRAW OR FAIL? should I stay or go?

Hi friends, family etc:
I'm thoroughly bummed today. This is the drop dead day for summer Chem class… I am presently failing because, I had surgery the first week of school, and haven't been able to catch up since… and now I'm relapsing into whatever it is that made me sick last semester, when I withdrew from ALL my classes on a force medical withdrawal… I am torn only because, if I withdraw this time, I'll have withdrawn from Chem 1 three times!
My first semester of post bac: A honors bio I, W Chem I
Second semester, A bio II, B's math, and pathophysiology, C in A&P
third semester: withdrew from all my classes Phys, chem, org
summer 2003??: withdrew? <or failed? or got a D in Chem I??>
Right now I'm inclined to just call it a day, and withdraw. The only thing I fear is that withdrawing THREE times from Chem I may indicate that I 'can't do it' which is NOT true… But summer school is a bear, and I'm sick as a dog… My ugrad degree is in art, so I have no recent proof of science skills outside of the post bac stuff…
And my husband is losing patience with me and the illness/school/money etc… So I feel xxxxtra stressed…
This is the only thing I ever really wanted to do…
(Other than sing, and I've never wanted that lifestyle) I won't die if I don't make it, but I will be a very, very sad girl. I know I'm v. good at helping people find health and healing – even as a lay counsellor and as an advocate for family members, I have made a difference. It makes my soul sing. I just feel like I'm 'not getting any younger' and I have NO idea what's really wrong with me health wise (too tired to think clearly), though I know that it's aggravated by stress. My doc says: take a year off and get better, but I'm 41 so I feel I have to hurry… sigh.
I feel so scared.
leah g.

Leah,
I can imagine how frustrating it must be to have to withdraw for the semester, but if you spend the entire semester playing catch up, you may not get as high a grade as you are capable of and end up having to retake the course(s). You do not need to hurry although I think all of us here have felt that way at one time or another. We'd just like to get the preliminary stuff out of the way, but… the most important thing here is you and your health. Take the time to get better, and really try to focus on healing, relaxation, etc., rather than anxiously waiting and worrying about time slipping by. Med school will still be there, and we'll still be here to support you…
Take care

QUOTE (astillgirl2b @ Jun 24 2003, 01:49 PM)
Hi friends, family etc:
I'm thoroughly bummed today. This is the drop dead day for summer Chem class... I am presently failing because, I had surgery the first week of school, and haven't been able to catch up since... and now I'm relapsing into whatever it is that made me sick last semester, when I withdrew from ALL my classes on a force medical withdrawal... I am torn only because, if I withdraw this time, I'll have withdrawn from Chem 1 three times!
My first semester of post bac: A honors bio I, W Chem I
Second semester, A bio II, B's math, and pathophysiology, C in A&P
third semester: withdrew from all my classes Phys, chem, org
summer 2003??: withdrew?
Right now I'm inclined to just call it a day, and withdraw. The only thing I fear is that withdrawing THREE times from Chem I may indicate that I 'can't do it' which is NOT true... But summer school is a bear, and I'm sick as a dog... My ugrad degree is in art, so I have no recent proof of science skills outside of the post bac stuff...
And my husband is losing patience with me and the illness/school/money etc... So I feel xxxxtra stressed...
This is the only thing I ever really wanted to do...
(Other than sing, and I've never wanted that lifestyle) I won't die if I don't make it, but I will be a very, very sad girl. I know I'm v. good at helping people find health and healing -- even as a lay counsellor and as an advocate for family members, I have made a difference. It makes my soul sing. I just feel like I'm 'not getting any younger' and I have NO idea what's really wrong with me health wise (too tired to think clearly), though I know that it's aggravated by stress. My doc says: take a year off and get better, but I'm 41 so I feel I have to hurry... sigh.
I feel so scared.
leah g.

Withdrawing from a class because you had surgery is perfectly understandable - especially if you come back at a later point and ace the thing. Collecting an F, though, probably will cause problems. F's really kill the GPA - possibly driving it below the "cutoff point" for schools to look at applications. If I was in your shoes, I'd withdraw.
"He who runs away, lives to apply another day."

Hi Leah,
Summer science couses are very unforgiving even if you are healthy. Things are compressed and move very quickly. Since you just had surgery, withdraw and use the summer to recover. You need your health more than you need your grades so for health reasons, withdraw from the class. You can strart over in the fall, with a new vigor and with your health intact.
Natalie smile.gif

Thank you all for your support and wisdom. I did indeed withdraw, and it has proven to be a good thing indeed, since I have been sick enough to spend most of the last couple days resting in bed. It was the GPA that actually decided me, but I think that my system is much better off not trying to kill myself (maybe literally hurting my health) with forcing my way through summer classes so I can have it all done by next spring. I am behind, but I want to actually LIVE long enough to go do medical school! rolleyes.gif
So, I’m just going to muddle along, try not to let Marc give me too many house rebuilding projects to do – (our house is a WORK in Distress!), – and try to figure out what the underlying reason is that I’m so tired, and have so little reserve that very minor surgery is so hard to come back from. They’ve done all sorts of blood work, and apart from thallasemia that’s not supposed to be serious, there’s allegedly nothing wrong…
sigh… but it will work out. I’m way too tough to give up, even though I’m quite fed up of this particular struggle. But, one thing at a time. eh? In the mean time, I’ll get to catch up on my Harry Potter reading!
thanks again
Leah

Leah,
I’m glad to see you took the W and will start again at a healthier date. Coincidentally, I was in Chem I (and Algebra) during the summer I was assaulted, and though I hacked at it for another week, staying up until 3am studying (along with working, kids, etc), I finally couldn’t handle the mental distress/stress anymore and dropped. It’s hard to drop when you are “in a hurry”, I’m 41 later this year, and if I hadn’t dropped that class, could have applied 2 years ago. That really chaps me at times, but as Nat always says, “It’s a marathon, not a race”. I wish you well in your recovery. Take care,
Kathy