WOOOOO HOOOOO! Passed Step 3!!!

I am officially a licensed physician now that I have passed step 3!!! Well…once I get all of the paperwork filed & shiped, I will be getting my permanent VT & NH medical licenses. No more “training license” - I am the real deal!

CONGRATULATIONS! Way to go, Dave!!!

Dave,
Congratulations!
Shirl

Strong work there Dave - congratulation.
What I don’t get is the permanent VT & NH medical licenses. I thought you could practice anywhere you want, so how does that work?

You’re the Man! You’re the Old Man! You’re the Old Man Dave! You’re the Old Man Doctor Dave! You’re the Doctor Old Man Dave!
Well anyway, one thing you aren’t: A wanna-be!

Thanks everyone…pretty damned thrilled myself!
BACMEDIC,
Your degree is national; however, your actual license to practice is issued state by state. Each state has various requirements to issue a medical license. As I understand it, they are all pretty similar, but with a wide ranging degree of red tape. Allegedly, don’t know this for certain, some states even require some sort of additional medico-legal styled licensure exam.
So, yes - your are a physician everywhere. But, unless you go to the trouble & expense, you can only actually practice in states where you have a license.
That is the simple version…

Dave,
Congrats!! I just love the way wmkayak phrased it!
Kathy

Congrats OMD, MD! I haven’t met you yet, but I’ve read most of your posts, and you’re a fine human being.

Quote:

Strong work there Dave - congratulation.
What I don’t get is the permanent VT & NH medical licenses. I thought you could practice anywhere you want, so how does that work?

Hi there,
Every MD in this country takes USMLE Step I, Step II (now parts A and B) and Step III in order to be eligible for a permanent license in any state. (DOs take COMLEX parts I, II and III). Once you have taken your " licensure boards", you are eligible to apply for practice in any state. If you have held a license in any state, you have to list this with your new state before you get your new license. When I left Virginia and applied for Ohio license, I had to have the Virginia State Board of Medicine send a copy of any actions against me to the Ohio Board of Medicine. Since there are no actions against my license, the process was pretty easy but took almost 8 weeks!
I also had to get the Dean of my Medical school to send a copy of my certificate of graduation ot the OH Board of Medicine and a USMLE transcript from the NBME. You go throught this whole process everytime you move from one state to another unless you keep multiple licenses in multiple states (expensive).
By passing COMLEX Step III, same as with USMLE Step III, Dave is eligible for a permanent NH license and a national DEA number. He can still use his training DEA number for work) but he is eligible to moonlight or work in clinics outside his residency (if allowed). (Cleveland clinic and University of Virginia does not allow us to moonlight).
I hope that this clears up your confusion.
Natalie
(Legal in two states!)

Dave,
You Rock!! Congrats again. You are such an inspiration to so many of us
Tara

CONGRATULATIONS Dave !!!
That’s Wonderful news!!!
We’re all soooo happy for you!!!
Vita

Congrats on the great accomplishment, Dave.

Excellent Dr. Dave!!! I will hoist a pint in your honor this evening!
Ian

Outstanding;)

Congratulations to you Dave! I bet the whole family is ecstatic!!!
Seth