Working Full-Time....How to take Pre-reqs?

I’m 26, a full-time audiologist and ready to begin the road to medical school. It’s been at least 7 years since I’ve taken my sciences and thus need to re-take them all. I need advice on the best way to take them (part-time) without giving up my full-time job (and salary).

My fiance is a PGY-1 in internal medicine and said even a community college would be okay. Is this true?

Need advice…ready to get this show on the road!

If you absolutely have to continue working full-time, I personally wouldn’t take more than a class at a time plus a lab at a 4-yr school, but that will take FOREVER. If you have to take the prereqs at cc, which will not look ideal on your med school application, then you should be able to do fine taking two classes at a time.

If you are 100% convinced that you will succeed and get accepted to medical school, I would consider quitting work and completing the 8 core prerequisites in one year, using savings and/or school loans for living expenses. You will make up your lost income with the time you save. Each year less you spend completing prereqs = additional year of future physician income. That would mean you could start with gen chem this summer and take the MCAT and apply in June of 2011. If you are serious about “getting this show on the road” then this is the way to do it!

I would also recommend taking courses at the best known school (whether formal or informal postbacc) you can afford or have access to, since this will strengthen your application and hopefully give you the best preparation possible for the MCAT.

I was in a similar place as you 2 years ago and I’ll be starting med school this fall. Feel free to send me a private message if you have more questions. This is an exciting time. Good luck!!!

I took all of my prereqs at community colleges, had a few F’s on my record and still got into medical school on the first try - can you say

‘God was watching over that guy’…

Pretty much worked 2 (sometimes 3) part time jobs and did the prereqs at CC for money and timing issues. No one made a big deal out of it when I applied.

Also, be sure you have to retake those sciences. My physics, calculus and english were from around 20 years prior and no retakes required…

OMTDave,

This is helpful information given that the question of CC credits comes up often. Would you mind posting whether you applied and were given interviews at both MD and DO schools, and where you ultimately chose to go?

Thanks!

• AntMan Said:
If you absolutely have to continue working full-time, I personally wouldn't take more than a class at a time plus a lab at a 4-yr school, but that will take FOREVER. If you have to take the prereqs at cc, which will not look ideal on your med school application, then you should be able to do fine taking two classes at a time.

The implication here is that CC courses will be easier than those at a University. In my experience having taken preqs at a top school and at a CC is that there was NO difference at all other than my classes were taught by Profs not TA's, my classes had about 30 students versus 200 at one university, and the courses didn't seen designed to "weed me out" from being a premed.

That said and depending on how demanding your job is, I wouldn't take more than 1 science class at a time and I wouldn't care how long it took as long as a earned all A's.

I’m a nurse working full-time 12hr night shifts and taking my last prereq Ochem II. When I started taking my prereq’s I took only one class per semester. For me, this was do-able. Most of my classes were at the local community college and the higher level course were at universities only because of scheduling conflicts at the community college. The Ochem II class I am taking now is at a community college and its kicking my butt big time. No matter where you take your prereq’s, a university or community college, it will be just a challenging. Your MCAT scores will tell the admissions committee if your science background were weak. Take community college classes if its cost effective for you (it was for me) and do well on your MCAT. Stay focused on your goal. Wishing you the best.

Thanks for the help guys! I certainly could use any guidance you can offer. I dug out my old transcript and here are some of my science grades from undergrad. Can anyone offer any advice on if there are any of these I can go without re-taking or should I just start completely from scratch:

Bio 1 - B (in 2001)

Bio 1 lab - B+ (in 2001)

Chem 1 - C+ (in 2001)

Chem 1 lab - B+ (in 2001)

Calculus 1 - B (in 2001)

Bio 2 - C (in 2003)

Bio 2 lab - B (in 2003)

Also, does anyone have a class they’d recommend starting with after not taking any sciences for several years. (All my grad school sciences were hearing and sound based for Audiology).

Thanks a million!

Since you asked about where I applied, etc…

I applied at all of the Texas allopathic schools. I chose to wait on my MCAT to submit my app which made me late (I made the decision to apply to medical school very late in the cycle). I was working nights at Wal-Mart stocking groceries when I was studying for it, didn’t renew my physics from 17 years ago and only took it once. I made a 25P.

Most Texas allopathic schools didn’t even respond to my application and when I tried to talk to them, I got blown off with my MCAT score. Texas A&M offered some advice on how to strengthen my application.

I also applied to osteo schools out of state and received an interview invitation from KCOM,WVSOM, New Jersey(?) and NECOM. I also received in interview invite at TCOM which is the one I went to.

KCOM had me scheduled for an off-cycle interview for a waitlist position or gauranteed seat in the next years class. NOTE: KCOM and their admissions staff bent over backwards to be accomodating and were very kind. I actually discussed my considerations of moving my family and they patiently listened and still offered me an interview. I was called off the TCOM waitlist two weeks before my KCOM interview and since I wanted to stay in Texas, I cancelled my KCOM interview. I can’t say enough good things about KCOM. Those people are tops.

So, I had one run at the MCAT, one interview and was pulled off the waitlist in May for my first choice of school…all with a few F’s on my transcript (at the post bacc level), a fairly low MCAT (although some people in the classes above me ranked very high in the class with 23’s and 21’s and went on for some very competitive residencies while others who had higher scores didn’t do so well) and a degree from DeVry and CC prereqs…

What’s it all mean? To my way of thinking - 1)how bad do you want it? 2) how much are you willing to refuse to quit? 3) Ultimately - is this what God has for you to do?

Let there be no mistake - I firmly believe, based on what I’ve just told you - It was God who blew open doors that should have been closed because He’s got something for me to do. This whole time, I’ve had a set of praying parents and friends from church who’ve walked with me every step of the way…

Now, that’s my belief. I’m not trying to be offensive and Lord knows I’ve not always been a shining example…your mileage may vary…

So, hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions you may have…It’s all about passing on what you’ve learned…

The following three links should be helpful:

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showpost.php?po…

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

http://www.oldpremeds.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?t…

Ajhewitt4,

Whether you should repeat your coursework will really depend on you after asking yourself these questions: Are you ready to succeed in advanced-level premedical coursework? Do you remember what you learned back then? Your grades from back then are okay. Medical schools in reality will be concentrating on your recent, yet-to-take advanced-level coursework and your professional coursework to gauge your ability on handling medical school coursework.

• pathdr2b Said:
  • AntMan Said:
If you absolutely have to continue working full-time, I personally wouldn't take more than a class at a time plus a lab at a 4-yr school, but that will take FOREVER. If you have to take the prereqs at cc, which will not look ideal on your med school application, then you should be able to do fine taking two classes at a time.

The implication here is that CC courses will be easier than those at a University. In my experience having taken preqs at a top school and at a CC is that there was NO difference at all other than my classes were taught by Profs not TA's, my classes had about 30 students versus 200 at one university, and the courses didn't seen designed to "weed me out" from being a premed.

That said and depending on how demanding your job is, I wouldn't take more than 1 science class at a time and I wouldn't care how long it took as long as a earned all A's.

The implication is that admission committees do not generally look as favorably on community college classes. You can get accepted with cc credits, as many have, but they will not make your application the strongest it could possibly be. Different people have different goals, but a strong application will give you the most options when it comes time to apply.

And dragging out your prereqs has a direct economic impact. The longer you take on your prereqs the less return you will have on your med school investment (i.e. less time as a practicing physician.) Financially, it makes the most sense to complete prereqs in the shortest time possible, assuming you are doing well in them.

Have you spoken with the dean of admissions at a couple schools you would like to apply? They will give you the most accurate feedback about your courses and grades.
  • AntMan Said:
And dragging out your prereqs has a direct economic impact. The longer you take on your prereqs the less return you will have on your med school investment (i.e. less time as a practicing physician.) Financially, it makes the most sense to complete prereqs in the shortest time possible, assuming you are doing well in them

For folks with responsibilities outside themselves like demanding jobs, aging parents, or kids, statements like these make little sense. There are TONS of good reasons a person would take their time finishing preqs and rarely have I found rushing to the finish line to be good prep for med school acceptance or life in general.

Financially, it makes the most sense to do whatever is prudent for your particular financial situation.

You can get accepted with cc credits, as many have, but they will not make your application the strongest it could possibly be. Different people have different goals, but a strong application will give you the most options when it comes time to apply.

>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>&g t;>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>> >>>

The implication here is that you can’t have a strong app with CC courses. First, “strength” is subjective and second, I was accepted MD/PhD with CC courses on my transcript in 2000.

So while they it’s school dependent as to whether or not they hurt your app, if every thing else is solid, they certainly will NOT hurt in the sense that some school, maybe not Harvard, will find such an app acceptable.

Well said OMTDAVE! I have people praying for me as well. I will need all the help I can get especially from the Big Man Upstairs!

• pathdr2b Said:
  • AntMan Said:
And dragging out your prereqs has a direct economic impact. The longer you take on your prereqs the less return you will have on your med school investment (i.e. less time as a practicing physician.) Financially, it makes the most sense to complete prereqs in the shortest time possible, assuming you are doing well in them

For folks with responsibilities outside themselves like demanding jobs, aging parents, or kids, statements like these make little sense. There are TONS of good reasons a person would take their time finishing preqs and rarely have I found rushing to the finish line to be good prep for med school acceptance or life in general.

Financially, it makes the most sense to do whatever is prudent for your particular financial situation.

I think most of us on OPM understand outside responsibilities. In my case, I was the sole provider for my wife and two kids, age 3 and 5. I agree that there are many reasons to take an extended time to complete prereqs. Money, however, is not a good reason. It is simply a matter of dollars and cents. Let's say you will make 150K as a doctor. That's a 150K loss for every additional year of practice you lose.

I agree that rushing to the finish line is not wise. But medical school is the *starting line*. I say get to the starting line as fast as you can. And that will mean something different for everyone.
  • pathdr2b Said:
You can get accepted with cc credits, as many have, but they will not make your application the strongest it could possibly be. Different people have different goals, but a strong application will give you the most options when it comes time to apply.

>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>&g t;>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>> >>>

The implication here is that you can't have a strong app with CC courses. First, "strength" is subjective and second, I was accepted MD/PhD with CC courses on my transcript in 2000.

So while they it's school dependent as to whether or not they hurt your app, if every thing else is solid, they certainly will NOT hurt in the sense that some school, maybe not Harvard, will find such an app acceptable.

The general consensus among adcomms and posters on OPM and SDN is that courses from a four year university look better on an application than courses taken at community college. I understand that you had a positive cc experience. But there really is no argument here.

There are good points made here. If you can take your classes at a 4 year university, then do so. However, if you cannot and need to take your classes at a cc then be ready to speak to that in your interview. In the end, your MCAT score will show your strengths as well as your weaknesses.

Your path may or may not be like those who have shared their experience herein, and that’s why “your miles may vary.” Do the BEST you can and don’t give up.

A very wise post ITGuy. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. I plainly agree with you.

Ajhewitt4–

How did you decide on medicine after working as an audiologist? I’ve been considering medicine for a long time and just recently thought of audiology or speech pathology instead, so what inspired you to make the switch?