Worth pursuing?

I’m sure a version of this question is asked repeatedly, but I could use some input and encouragement or reality check:-)

I just turned 30. I have a bachelors degree in engineering with a 2.83 GPA. I basically had a bad first two years of college. It just took me a while to learn how to study and learn, and quite honestly, stop going to parties. I did poorly and even failed a physics class. My last two years of college I pulled it together and managed all A or B grades, boosting my GPA a bit to the 2.83. Despite this low GPA, I was accepted to a Masters program in engineering at Northwestern University and earned a 4.0 in that program.

I currently work in business for a top management consulting company. My work is pushing me towards a MBA, and the crazy thing is with their name on my resume, I can easily get into one of the top 3 programs even with my low undergrad GPA.

However, while this path is lucrative, I just can’t seem to commit. I have always wanted to go to Medical School, but have been afraid to pursue it because of my poor undergrad GPA. Unfortunately my poor freshman/soph years were also when I took calc, physics, chemistry - those grades are pretty bad. I think B for Chem, C for organic Chem, B/C for calc, D for physics which I had to retake. My engineering degree focused on the environment, so most of my upper level work is the hard sciences. I lack most of the biology work, so I know I will have to take that now. If I ace these additional science classes will my undergrad GPA still be bad enough to ding me?

I know there are other pieces to the application. And while I haven’t written it here, I can make a compelling case for why medical school and why now. As far as MCATs. I haven’t pursued those yet, although I did great on the GREs.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

I’m probably not the right one to answer your question, mostly because I haven’t gotten in to med school (yet), but then I haven’t applied yet, either. I’m in a much worse situation than you are GPA wise–my first pass was two years of majoring in girls and beer. I had a 2.1 GPA–great grades in any class I decided to attend, and no shortage of Fs (Gasp!) in classes I thought were boring or beneath me. I actually have two Fs in Probability, one after the other.

That said, I restarted part-time and now my overall GPA is 3.1 and my Science GPA is 3.85. I’ve had to take a whole bunch of science classes in order to raise the “BCPM” (Bio/Chem/Phys/Math) GPA, but it is doable. Your early science grades are probably old enough that you’d have to re-take them anyway, so you might as well gird your loins and get to it. I’m 36, and wish I would have restarted when I was 30 instead of waiting. I can guarantee you’re not going to get any younger, and if it’s something you want to do, go for it!

Thanks for the reply. It is really helpful to just get my thoughts out there.

You are right, I should just start taking the core science classes. I’m actually looking forward to them since I will learn so much more this time by actually attending class:-)

I have just been paralyzed by these crappy first two years of school. I know that time is not a reflection of my ability. My approach to learning is so different now, and I don’t want those years to define my life. I guess I had better just buckle down and get to work.

There’s something to be said for just doing something, even if it’s wrong. I think you’re right… take some classes, get sucked in like I did, and decide if you really want to be in school for the next ten years. And, by all means, keep us posted!

Your old grades can hurt you, but you can help yourself by continuing to show a clear difference between the immature freshman and sophomore you used to be and the go-getting butt-kicker you are now. Be sure to get to know your professors to get good letters of recommendation, and put together a complete application package.

Don’t let the past paralyze you. People do overcome old, bad grades.

Sounds like you’ve got the right approach . I think that, as long as you prove your mettle now, schools will understand thta the “old you” isn’t really a reflection of your capabilities. Show them what you can do now that you have your priorities set, and many - not all, but many - will be impressed.

I say this, having “earned” my BS with a 2.5 cumulative GPA, one semester in the square root club, and now feeling some allopathic love .

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement! I have accomplished a lot despite those early poor grades, and I think I can show that. I will kick butt on some science courses and drive up that GPA. I’m actually quite excited about taking some of the core science courses again. Once I started actually going to class I found out how much I love learning. Even if I don’t make it to med school at least I will have a little more bio and chem knowledge in my mind:-)

Numbers are important, but…med schools are looking at the big picture too.

I have had some bumps in the road (and I’m not a med student now, so take that for what it is worth), but one thing I realized as I began to research the options and talk to the advisor at the school local to me is that even though I was focused on my weaknesses/failure…the schools were able to look at all of me.

I didn’t end up applying and I don’t know that I ever will, but I was able to pull up my ug science gpa up by doing a post-bacc of my own making. I got an MS in molecular biology with a strong thesis and I taught for awhile at the college level. When I went in to talk to the med school, I still had my brain wrapped around my shortcomings.

They told me at that time to apply. I didn’t for other reasons, but…I guess what I’m trying to say is that if this is the path that feels worth it to you…you have to let go of the past academic blips and move forward.

You aren’t the first person to struggle for a time…and the adcom members are human…really.

That all being said, you will have some work ahead of you to prove yourself.

Kris

• jchic Said:

I just turned 30. I have a bachelors degree in engineering with a 2.83 GPA. .......Masters program in engineering at Northwestern University and earned a 4.0 in that program.

If I ace these additional science classes will my undergrad GPA still be bad enough to ding me?

I know there are other pieces to the application. And while I haven't written it here, I can make a compelling case for why medical school and why now. As far as MCATs..........

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

I got down to what I want to say here:

I think you could make a great case for medical school if you go through a Post Bac at one of the schools who do this to get you into medical school.

Also age and career and hectic life is no excuse for not doing what everyone else does to get accepted

Volunteer

Shadow

Patient experience

Good Luck

Not sure you need a formal post-bacc. Your approach, to go back and take those core classes and do well in them, sounds like a good “academic remediation.” Especially since you’ve got good grades in upper-level science stuff that you did for your engineering degree - I think a “do-it-yourself” post-bacc is going to suit you better and fit your current life better. Good luck!

Mary