Would anyone offer me an assessment of my strength as an applicant?

I’ve recently decided to pursue my repressed desire to become a surgeon. I’m 29 years old and was a bio/pre-med student at Indiana University. Off the top of my head my GPA was 3.23. Since then I’ve lived in India and led a team of cultural anthropologists and missionaries, I’ve done sales with Xerox, and I’m currently part of a successful investment practice at Morgan Stanley. The last date to take the MCAT is Sept 11th, and I believe schools take apps up until Nov??

I’m planning on cramming for the mcat and applying to 5-10 different schools.

I also currently serve on the board of a Medical non-profit in colorado springs, where I’ve served on the finance committee for 2 years and have been voted to serve on the executive committee.

I also play in an actively gigging rock band and am active in community services through our local church.

So…knowing very little about me, and none of us knowing what my MCAT could be…what is your perception of my strength as an applicant??

Let me know if more info would be helpful.

Thanks!!

I’m not familiar with the application process, but I’m sure those who have been through the process will tell you that it’s best to have your MCAT score in hand, and to apply as early as you can (meaning June.) I also believe that it takes a fair bit of time arranging LORs, filling out multiple applications, writing a personal statement, and getting all those other ducks lined up. Not to mention studying for the MCAT.

And if it’s been more than 5 years since you last took coursework, perhaps your application would benefit from a semester or two of upper div classes in subjects you’ve not taken prior, say biochem or genetics, etc. You could then post a strong application next June. Give it a couple days and others on here who have actually gone through the application process will chime in and offer you “correct” advice.

I realized that I did not offer any remarks regarding your strength as an applicant – I think you have a good story to tell. If you supplement that with the best MCAT score and good LORs, your chances would probably be good.

• MattJackson Said:
I've recently decided to pursue my repressed desire to become a surgeon. I'm 29 years old and was a bio/pre-med student at Indiana University. Off the top of my head my GPA was 3.23. Since then I've lived in India and led a team of cultural anthropologists and missionaries, I've done sales with Xerox, and I'm currently part of a successful investment practice at Morgan Stanley. The last date to take the MCAT is Sept 11th, and I believe schools take apps up until Nov??

I'm planning on cramming for the mcat and applying to 5-10 different schools.

I also currently serve on the board of a Medical non-profit in colorado springs, where I've served on the finance committee for 2 years and have been voted to serve on the executive committee.

I also play in an actively gigging rock band and am active in community services through our local church.

So...knowing very little about me, and none of us knowing what my MCAT could be...what is your perception of my strength as an applicant??

Let me know if more info would be helpful.

Thanks!!

I will offer an assessment in two ways.

First, you appear to have a slightly below average GPA but sound like your background in varied, rich, and may make a compelling narrative. However, as DullHead said previous, no recent course work and being out of school for sometime may be viewed a large weakness by the adcoms.

Second, your process and timing will lessen your chances greatly. Cramming an MCAT, applying without a score, applying so far behind a rolling admissions curve, and applying to less than half the typical number of schools that it is likely your application will never even be considered by any school.

Being the shy, quiet, unassuming new yorker that I am, I would ask "What are you, freakin' nuts? fuhgeddaboudit! Your application is worth about as much as a fake Rolex on Delancy Street and will disappear like Jimmy Hoffa." (sorry I couldn't resist)

If you are truly interested in going to medical school, then take the next year and learn about the process, prepare for the MCAT, take additional courses, and apply when you will be the strongest candidate, and not go off, dare I say, less than half-assed about it all. The question I ask be applicants is your goal to get into medical school, or to get into medical school quickly?

I would have to agree with gonnif and Dullhead - while you have a compelling and interesting story to tell, the rest of your application might not be ‘top notch’.

• your GPA is below average… Let’s say your science GPA is a little bit higher than cumulative one, but it would probably still put you on the left side of GPA bell curve.

• you should apply early in the application cycle; and early means ‘NOW’ or first half of July. From what you wrote, you have not even started to work on your application… and it takes time to put get everything ready - getting all your transcripts, writing your personal statement etc. That’s true that most of the schools list November 1st as the deadline, but it’s way too late. August is already late. The biggest bottleneck point in the application process is to have your application verified by AMCAS. The earlier you submit your stuff the faster it will be reviewed. It might take them anywhere from 4 weeks early in the cycle to 2 months as the applications start to pile up. Most of the schools start inviting people for interviews as soon as they receive their applications. Last year my school filled up all their interview slots for the year in October. So if you are not ready to apply NOW, just wait a year, put together the best application you can and save yourself time and money this year.

• You might also want to consider taking some extra sciences (depending what grades you got in prereqs and how old they are.

K.

In addition to the above, two other things:

1 - Many schools have requirements (which can sometimes be bent, sometimes not) on how recently the prereqs should be taken. This especially applies to bio coureswork.

2 - You will hopefully have solid letters of rec from work and the like. Do you have any academic LORs that you can get? Those would probably be helpful.

All in all, it will probably pay to treat this as a marathon, not a sprint. It’s great that you’ve decided to move towards this path! Now take the time to do your research and your homework, and put your app together to put yourself in the best possible position to succeed.

Thanks everyone! The advice is great. Better wait a least a year.

One other point to add (although it seems you agree with the consensus that you should wait until at least next year) - you will hear people say “If I don’t get in this year because of x, y, or z (late application, poor/late MCAT, etc etc), I’ll just reapply next year”. This is a bad idea for a couple of reasons.

First, it costs a LOT of money to apply to med school. Nearly every school will send you a secondary without even reviewing your application (because they charge you to submit a secondary). You’ll read lots of stories of people receiving rejections within 24 hours of submitting a secondary.

Second, you’re then seen as a “re-applicant”. Success rates for re-applicants are far, far lower than initial applicants.

Third, the whole process is somewhat of a PITA. You have to enter everything again, write an updated personal statement, get new/updated letters of recommendation, request transcripts again . . .

So, take some time. Call the 5-10 schools you are interested in and find out what they say about the age of your pre-reqs. Think about taking a couple of courses next year. Get some MCAT prep material and decide whether or not you need a formal MCAT prep course. Work on a personal statement and obtaining LORs. Then, have everything ready to submit sometime next June/July.

Welcome to the community and good luck!

what is your ‘good’ GPA? The portion that matters? If it is low, you are looking at having to retake a bunch of upper level science courses.

• MattJackson Said:
Thanks everyone! The advice is great. Better wait a least a year.

Remember waiting the year really means working your butt off in getting courses, recommendations, MCAT, and the entire complex application process understood and mastered!

Again, thanks so much for the great advice.

Matt,

This really is great advice. I was in the same exact position you are in this time last year. I took the sage advice from this board and prepared myself and my application. Make sure you prepare well for the MCAT and if you have any questions, this is a great forum to start looking for answers.