would this count as clinical/patient experience?

HI

I am an old premed. Got all my prereqs and currently working on preparing for the MCAT. But one of my biggest gaps is not having clinical/patient contact experience. I have done plenty of basic lab research but not in a clinical setting.

I work full time and therefore finding experience could be challenging. I recently came across this organization that runs a volunteer ambulance site and they do need volunteers! The entry level volunteer is as a dispatcher which requires 4-6 weeks training. Now, i would like to volunteer because obviously I am thinking of counting this as ‘clinical/patient experience’ for my application but my question is: would this type of experience (being a dispatcher at a volunteer ambulance organization) count at all? The website also says that once dispatcher training is completed the person may ride in the ambulance as an EMS attendant and also get CPR and first aid training which I would definitely do. Of course, I would do this during the weekend since I work full time. Any thoughts or anyone with similar experience? I don’t want to submit an application without being sure this would count towards clinical/patient experience part of the application.

thanks!

No, a dispatcher has zero contact with patients…

Not sure if EMS experience would count…

I don’t think this would count. Adcoms are finicky about wanting clinical experience, so it is essential to get this piece right. Look into hospital ERs, hospices, even paid scribing. And keep in mind the process can take months, what with background checks, immunizations, interviews, training, whatnot. I decided to postpone applying by a year just due to this stuff.

You can do hospice volunteering in the evenings an on weekends. There are evening and PRN scribe positions. There is a program in my area where you can volunteers to sit with children in fostercare who are in the hospital with an illness. There are tons of volunteer positions at hospitals.

@LainTheTexan wrote:

You can do hospice volunteering in the evenings an on weekends. There are evening and PRN scribe positions. There is a program in my area where you can volunteers to sit with children in fostercare who are in the hospital with an illness. There are tons of volunteer positions at hospitals.

In your mind is ‘clinical’ experience just face-time with patients? I am volunteering in an ED and I get plenty of facetime but Ryan made a comment on the podcast that seemingly downplayed the ‘handing out blankets’ type of work. I’m unsure how to progress as a volunteer because frankly we’re not allowed to do anything.