Writing Sample re-take?

Hello everyone - I have searched the forums and haven’t found the answer to my question. So, I’ll ask it here: I just got my MCAT score, a 36L (13VR, 12PS, 11BS). Now, I’m not an English major but I’m also not that bad of a writer. I must not have addressed the topic adequately for the WS. In my prep course, they judged me has having a Q on my practice WS. So, my question to all of you is: should I retake the MCAT (shudder…)? My inclination is to apply with this score because I have other evidence in my application of being able to write (or more accurately, to re-write). For example, I have several published articles in Physics journals.

Thanking you in advance,

Kelly

oh for God’s sake do not retake for a writing score! No one cares. Trust me on this. You will have the opportunity to demonstrate your writing ability in your personal statement and your secondaries. Good luck.

Mary - thanks for laugh and the advise

I just received my score, not quite as high but still competitive (32M 10PS, 13VR, 9BS) and my second thought was much the same, will my writing score limit me terribly? My first thought was relief at scoring over 30!. The advice I received was much the same as Dr. Renard’s. Great score and good luck!

13 on your verbal? You have to tell me how you did it…had you gotten a real low number on your verbal, maybe a comment might be made about your writing score (though I highly doubt it). Also, I would think that the writing score is more subjective than the other sections.

Congrats on the great score and good luck in your application phase!

Kris - To be honest VR has been my strongest testing subject since I was a kid. I practiced the VR passages but other than that, I would advise that you read from a variety of sources everyday. My testing strategy was to read the passage as fast as I could, trying to get the general idea and main points and to remember where things were within the body of the text. Then, I would revisit the passage when I was answering questions. It really helps to have the passage on the screen with the questions. Oh - when practicing on paper, I would try to put the passage on the desk next to the questions.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. Now, I’m wrestling with the personal statement but that’s another board topic…

• campkel Said:
Hello everyone - I have searched the forums and haven't found the answer to my question. So, I'll ask it here: I just got my MCAT score, a 36L (13VR, 12PS, 11BS). Now, I'm not an English major but I'm also not that bad of a writer. I must not have addressed the topic adequately for the WS. In my prep course, they judged me has having a Q on my practice WS. So, my question to all of you is: should I retake the MCAT (shudder...)? My inclination is to apply with this score because I have other evidence in my application of being able to write (or more accurately, to re-write). For example, I have several published articles in Physics journals.

Thanking you in advance,

Kelly

Do not retake. The WS is not a huge part.