WV SOM

Hi

So does anyone have an opinion or know someone going to WV Osteopathic School?

I know it is expensive, but looks like a nice place to live, but perhaps does not have the best clinical experiences???

Thanks I know it is a vague question…

OPM board member Linda Wilson is attending

WVSOM and I’m sure would be happy to answer any questions.

As Jeff says, Linda is the expert on WVSOM; hopefully she’ll chime in soon. I just read in JAOA that in 1995 WVSOM set up a free community clinic for the students to practice osteopathic manipulation medicine in a supervised environment. OSUCOM in Tulsa also has an OMM clinic (I don’t think it’s free).

This is a great trend and I hope that all the schools adopt this approach of having students practice their skills in the community. So many D.O.s graduate and then stop using their OMM.

Sorry I’ve been so slow in responding. Between moving, badly spraining my knee, trying to unpack and keep on going while on crutches, I seem to have neglected my computer.

AS to WVSOM. . . it is a great school to go to. Regardless of what you think you want to do in the future as far as specialization, you will get all the background knowledge and training you will need.

CAVEAT though. It is VERY expensive for out-of-state students. The tuition plus living expenses will come up to about $62,000/year. The school’s financial aid office is great at attaining funds, or helping you find private loans that will get you through. The cost of living is not too bad. $500-600/month will get you a decent 1 or 2 bedroom apartment not too far from the school. Entertainment options are limited, so unless you want to go to the Clover Club and drink every weekend, you probably won’t spend a lot. There are a few restaurants in town, and most of them are reasonable. Shopping is pretty much done at Walmart of Kmart. Gasoline is higher there than just about anywhere I’ve seen, but it’s a small town, and you don’t have much time to be running around, so it won’t hurt you too much.

The school itself is up-to-date and more important to me, is extremely friendly and willing to help when you’re having difficulties.

I would say to anyone who is accepted at WVSOM, GO. . . if you feel it is the right fit for you. Everything else will fall in place.

Thanks Linda for your post.

After 2 years of unsuccesful applications, I am elated to have received an acceptance letter. The only thing that bothered me is that, since I did not interview, I did not have the opportunity to really check out the school. I will call them today with some specific questions, although I am pretty decided at this point to accept.

As for expense, most DO schools cost about the same. WV’s low cost of living is a definite plus…I visited Western last week and was astonished at the cost. It is predicted at 58000/year, so not much different. Since the only choice for “cheap” tuition is UW in Seattle, I think I am just going to suck it up and pay.

Linda, what year are you?

• misscompassion Said:
Thanks Linda for your post.

After 2 years of unsuccesful applications, I am elated to have received an acceptance letter.

Misscompassion, are you telling us that you have been accepted to WVSOM without an interview???? I did not know such a thing was possible. Please tell more about your experience.

Mary

I am still in shock over it! I didn’t want to say anything until I was sure it was for real.

I was granted acceptance in early decision (even though I did not opt for ED) WITHOUT a secondary or an interview! No LoR’s either! I will have to submit these to complete my file, but they want me.

From what I read on SDN this does happen with WV SOM if your grades and scores are good enough.

I am absolutely elated…

It’s something new they started this year. IF you have a GPA of 3.5 or higher along with an MCAT of 28 or higher, you are granted acceptance without an interview.

• Mary Renard Said:

Misscompassion, are you telling us that you have been accepted to WVSOM without an interview???? I did not know such a thing was possible. Please tell more about your experience.

Mary

Yeah, I was astounded about that when I got my acceptance letter from them too. In fact, I threw it away (thinking it was a scam), and my wife told me I should at least check it out. I called to verify and indeed... they accept based on those standards mentioned above (presumably some other things about the application aside from just those numbers, I would hope, since there's no interview).

Anyway, I decided to go out there with my wife and look at the school, talk to them, look at the area, etc.

I have to say, on the one hand, it's a nice thing to know so quickly you are accepted, but on the other hand, it seems almost an underhanded way to get a $3k deposit from out-of-staters who are still waiting on numerous other school decisions - since most schools just don't make their decisions that quickly. It could be looked at as a form of insurance I guess for applicants (like me) who hadn't really considered them as a primary choice. To clarify, they require a $3K deposit within 3 or 4 weeks of notification of acceptance. Can't remember the exact time stretch, but it's earlier than the date that my first choice schools (TX) are allowed to notify anyone.

However, on the flip side, every interview I have gone to this fall has been a very enlightening experience, each in its own way; so I think it's definitely worth at least going out there and talking with them for a day, regardless if I decide to pay them the deposit to hold the spot or not.

You should consider making the trip rather than just calling them - you would do it anyway if it were for the interview. I like the way they are plugged into the MSOPTI program (I am highly interested in doing a dual residency) there in the same state, and their emphasis on rural medicine, so they lined up folks for me to talk with about these subjects and a few others, as well as attend a class, etc. The more I looked into the school, the more things I found about it that I liked. However that out-of-state tuition is crazy. That alone keeps them from being anything more than a backup for me at this point. Since I'm in bitch mode, it just seems pretty bad to me that they don't even throw in the required laptop as part of the tuition at least. Many other state schools with tuition near half of theirs for out-of-state, throw in the laptop at a minimum. Speaking of rural schools in that part of the country, KY pays for all the books too, it looks like.

WVSOM seems to be recruiting VERY heavily. They have numerous recruiters who are extremely busy right now. I don't know of any other schools I have interviewed at (osteopathic or allopathic) who have that same setup, but maybe it's just been much more hidden from me at the other schools. It appears then, that this early admission program is a way to pull in students who at least look good on paper and might end up somewhere else if not snatched up early(?) Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck to you. Who knows, maybe I'll see you in class out there next year.
  • Linda Wilson Said:
It's something new they started this year. IF you have a GPA of 3.5 or higher along with an MCAT of 28 or higher, you are granted acceptance without an interview.

Yeah, actually it's science GPA of 3.5 or higher. My overall GPA is a little under 3.5, but science is around 3.7.

I thought it was a scam at first too! I hung it on my fridge and didn’t tell anyone about it (except my hubby who was standing there when I read it and laughed!) He went on to SDN and saw that other people had that happen too.

Unfortunately I can not make it there before they want the deposit. I have decided to go there for a few reasons, even though I am likely to be granted admission elsewhere too.

I can not afford all of the plane fare to get to interviews. Knowing I am in (I can get the deposit) makes things easier on me now.

I am almost 4 months pregnant, and no longer fit into my interviewing attire. I would have to buy a new suit and I am also high risk for pre-term labor. In another month or two, I can not be flying.

The cost, well the only state I qualify for in-state tuition is WA, and the UW in Seattle is notoriously difficult to get into. I have tried two years now to no avail. All other places, when you factor in the cost of living and misc expenses, are about equal for me.

The location would be great. Since I will have a small infant, I find it necessary to be somewhat close to family, either on my hubby’s side or mine, to help out if needed. That points to near SW Pennsylvania (pittsburgh area) or Sacremento CA area. Cost of living in Mare Island is really high. Our money from the house sale will go 3x as far in WV. Lecom Erie is my other choice, they want to interview me but I don’t want to take my chances. This is the last year that my MCAT is good, and third year of applying. I am going somewhere.

Traffic…3 hour daily commutes to go less than 20 miles each way is too much. Mare Island is too near SF, and my hubby will be miserable in all that traffic. Plus, we tend to like rural settings.

Plus I have heard good things about the school. The DO I shadowed went there, graduated in 1980. They have a decent reputation and enough student organizations that interest me. I like the “free OM clinic” for the public.

I agree that it wierded me out and is an odd way to accept students. I did not put in for early decision because I wanted more choices, and have mixed feelings about being put on the spot, so to speak. I am just happy it was one of my top choices.

• misscompassion Said:
I thought it was a scam at first too! I hung it on my fridge and didn't tell anyone about it (except my hubby who was standing there when I read it and laughed!) He went on to SDN and saw that other people had that happen too.

Unfortunately I can not make it there before they want the deposit. I have decided to go there for a few reasons, even though I am likely to be granted admission elsewhere too.

I can not afford all of the plane fare to get to interviews. Knowing I am in (I can get the deposit) makes things easier on me now.

I am almost 4 months pregnant, and no longer fit into my interviewing attire. I would have to buy a new suit and I am also high risk for pre-term labor. In another month or two, I can not be flying.

The cost, well the only state I qualify for in-state tuition is WA, and the UW in Seattle is notoriously difficult to get into. I have tried two years now to no avail. All other places, when you factor in the cost of living and misc expenses, are about equal for me.

The location would be great. Since I will have a small infant, I find it necessary to be somewhat close to family, either on my hubby's side or mine, to help out if needed. That points to near SW Pennsylvania (pittsburgh area) or Sacremento CA area. Cost of living in Mare Island is really high. Our money from the house sale will go 3x as far in WV. Lecom Erie is my other choice, they want to interview me but I don't want to take my chances. This is the last year that my MCAT is good, and third year of applying. I am going somewhere.

Traffic...3 hour daily commutes to go less than 20 miles each way is too much. Mare Island is too near SF, and my hubby will be miserable in all that traffic. Plus, we tend to like rural settings.

Plus I have heard good things about the school. The DO I shadowed went there, graduated in 1980. They have a decent reputation and enough student organizations that interest me. I like the "free OM clinic" for the public.

I agree that it wierded me out and is an odd way to accept students. I did not put in for early decision because I wanted more choices, and have mixed feelings about being put on the spot, so to speak. I am just happy it was one of my top choices.

That's really awesome, misscompassion. I totally agree with all your points. If that is the case, then this is no doubt the best situation you could be in, and it sounds like you're making a very informed decision.

You're totally right about the cost of living there too. We've narrowed our choices waaaaay down because of that fact as well, and WV is very inexpensive. If it weren't for the tuition cost, I might have been tempted to stop all my interviews and just plan on only WVSOM for the moment as my one non-TX choice.

Cost of living appears even a little lower outside of Lewisburg, it appears to me. The area is gorgeous and the school looks good. I want to eventually be a rural doc, and definitely want to live an a rural area while in school too, or at least semi-rural. For DO schools, TCOM, OK and WV are the 3 best choices to get into the rural side of medicine, imo.

Anyway, if you want, I'd be happy to post what my impressions of the school and area are, when we get back from there in a few weeks, or email you about it for that matter. We'll be looking at the schools (my daughter is junior high age), housing (rental houses, probably), and I'll be spending a full day on campus.

I would love to read your impressions of the area. I am sure others in the process of applying would like to see them as well.

My biggest concern is the availablilty of jobs for my husband…he works with computers, the internal business client side, as a Network Admin.

Certainly let me know what you think.

Thanks!

• misscompassion Said:
I thought it was a scam at first too! I hung it on my fridge and didn't tell anyone about it (except my hubby who was standing there when I read it and laughed!) He went on to SDN and saw that other people had that happen too.

The location would be great. Since I will have a small infant, I find it necessary to be somewhat close to family, either on my hubby's side or mine, to help out if needed. That points to near SW Pennsylvania (pittsburgh area) or Sacremento CA area. Cost of living in Mare Island is really high. Our money from the house sale will go 3x as far in WV. Lecom Erie is my other choice, they want to interview me but I don't want to take my chances. This is the last year that my MCAT is good, and third year of applying. I am going somewhere.

Traffic...3 hour daily commutes to go less than 20 miles each way is too much. Mare Island is too near SF, and my hubby will be miserable in all that traffic. Plus, we tend to like rural settings.

Plus I have heard good things about the school. The DO I shadowed went there, graduated in 1980. They have a decent reputation and enough student organizations that interest me. I like the "free OM clinic" for the public.

Miss Compassion,

congratulations on the baby! It is a life changing event (especially if your first) and will certainly make medical school "interesting" for the first year or so.

Unlike you I didn't make the cut to get an advance acceptance, but I did get an interview and am looking forward to seeing the school. I've already made multiple visits to Oklahoma State and Univ. of New England in Maine, and these schools are high on my list. But I like WV because of its free OMM clinic and obvious dedication to OMM. I'm interested in family practice and OMM so WV would be a good choice.

The tuition is definitely stratospheric. I looked up some data on the US News web site:

WVSOM $45,678

Tufts $43,014

Washington U. $39,720

Yale $37,280

Harvard $35,800

Kirksville COM $33,255

Lake Erie COM $24,125

-Terry

Or my favorite, esp. as it’s my home state:

University of CO $72,291 (out of state)

• SamMed Said:
Or my favorite, esp. as it's my home state:

University of CO $72,291 (out of state)

no kidding!

that is one school i have NEVER applied to!

When are you going, SamMed? I’m going Nov. 5.

• Linda Wilson Said:
It's something new they started this year. IF you have a GPA of 3.5 or higher along with an MCAT of 28 or higher, you are granted acceptance without an interview.

Linda... I'm sure lots of people would be curious... how can they skip the interview? I thought it was crucial. I suppose most people who apply are on the up-and-up, but there's bound to be be a few odd ducks out there that you really wouldn't want to go to medical school, yet had the criteria to get an invitation. It doesn't sound to me like the wisest move.
  • ttraub Said:
When are you going, SamMed? I'm going Nov. 5.

hi, heading out there next week at this time (9/22) for a few days.
  • ttraub Said:

Linda... I'm sure lots of people would be curious... how can they skip the interview? I thought it was crucial. I suppose most people who apply are on the up-and-up, but there's bound to be be a few odd ducks out there that you really wouldn't want to go to medical school, yet had the criteria to get an invitation. It doesn't sound to me like the wisest move.

i'm curious about this too. it seems like it could be a genius marketing move, or it could backfire badly... or maybe both.

i guess the litmus test may be whether it continues as a program starting next year.