Yet another request for Application Assessment

I didn’t realize I wanted to become a doctor, until it became a little too late. Now, I’m stuck with a low undergraduate GPA and two years of work experience in a field that helped me realize why I really wanted to go to med school in the first place. Here are my stats:

Overall GPA 3.25

Science GPA 2.87

I’ve taken some practice MCATs and have had nothing lower than a 29.

I’ve worked as a Dental Assistant for 2 1/2 years, volunteered in community outreach programs (200+ hours) and worked in India for an organization that works with people afflicted with Leprosy.

I’d like to apply for 2011 to DO schools and to some of the schools in the Caribbean.

Any suggestions? Or do you think I still have a chance?

Hi There.

Welcome to the OPM community. A few questions out of curiosity:

• If you’re interested in DO schools, why not take advantage of the AACOMAS grade replacement policy and re-take the science courses to raise your [c]GPAs?

• Have you taken any AMCAS versions of the practice test and scored above 29 in those as well?

• Do you have all application materials lined up? LORs, personal statement, etc?
  • hopinfor2011 Said:
I didn't realize I wanted to become a doctor, until it became a little too late. Now, I'm stuck with a low undergraduate GPA and two years of work experience in a field that helped me realize why I really wanted to go to med school in the first place. Here are my stats:

Overall GPA 3.25

Science GPA 2.87

I've taken some practice MCATs and have had nothing lower than a 29.

I've worked as a Dental Assistant for 2 1/2 years, volunteered in community outreach programs (200+ hours) and worked in India for an organization that works with people afflicted with Leprosy.

I'd like to apply for 2011 to DO schools and to some of the schools in the Caribbean.

Any suggestions? Or do you think I still have a chance?

1) To paraphrase a famous movie quote

"Chances?!? We don't need no stinkin' chances!"

Instead of viewing this as a static, negative question, "what are my chances?", turn it into a positive action, "what can I do to make myself a better applicant?"

As Dullhead, who is anything but a dullhead, consider options as in DO application mechanics.

2) Be warned of Caribbean and other foreign medical schools. Even those these schools offer the MD degree, for the most part, they are MUCH MUCH LESS valuable then an American DO degree. Any American medical school, Osteopathic or Allopathic, allows to practice in any state and are equal in opportunity and success for entering most residencies. FMG (foreign medical graduates, whether US citizen or not, have about 1/2 the overall success rate in residency matches and have virtually no chance of success in matching in the top 1/3 to 1/2 of residency programs. Anyone who says otherwise is just itching for fight and I will come armed with public data to show it (sorry, I get into arguments with the myths and mis-perceptions on that "other" website.

For example, in anesthesiology, about 42 per 1000 MD students match into residency programs, 38 pet 1000 of DO, 11 per 1000 of MD-FMG (US citizen) and 7 per 1000 of MD-FMG (non-citizen)

3) is you goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly? Research the entire complicated application process for both MD and DO, find out what you can do to make yourself a stronger applicant, and spend a year or two doing so.

4) And don't rule out US MD. I am finding that perceived chances of getting into medical school have reached mythical proportions that are far removed from the reality. Yes, it is difficult but it is not impossible nor improbable. And even more so, you can take ACTION to improve your chances.

Well, you have been given a well needed kick in the butt to get your rear in gear. Ignore the "FUD" (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) and get going. For this advice we expect reports in the form of posting on OPM and passing on this encouragement to others.