2008 Interviews

• OldManDave Said:
CONGRATS to all of you on the interview trial! Be prepared, this is far far far far from the last time you will be out on the interview trial. The nice thing is, each time you venture out onto the trial, you are in a progressively better & more powerful position. Med school - they have 100% of what you want/need & you merely want some love, any love. Residency - still an owners' market, but they are much more prone to recruiting you & treating you like something they desire. Attending level - a whole nuther animal! By far, this trip on the trial is the BEST!

OMD, I think most would agree with you that the interview trail is a trial. :-) (Sorry, couldn't resist. )

Smiles,

Judy

Well $hit! As is painfully obvious, I can’t spell for the life me! I am always tripped up by vowel combos that when reversed mean totally different things…the ‘ie’ vs. ‘ei’ thing is my worst!

Anyhow, I hope all get a snicker & my meaning…if not, then to heck with it! LOL!!!

That’s great to hear, Craig . Let us know how it all goes!

• OldManDave Said:
Well $hit! As is painfully obvious, I can't spell for the life me!!

I thought it was one of the best Freudian slips I've ever seen. God knows it's an interview trial, all right.

Mary

“Interview trial” - I just figured it was some medical jargon that I hadn’t heard yet.

I got an interview invite from PCOM, LECOM-Bradenton and UT-Houston (11/30) - finally some love from Texas! I had my NSU COM interview today and it was awesome! I am not sure how it will turn out but I enjoyed it. Good luck everyone!

Hey everyone, can I join the party?? Congrats to the other OldPreMeds going on their interviews. I hope the acceptance letters aren’t far behind.

I’m applying only in the NYC metro area which can be scary but thankfully I have been blessed with three interviews so far (SUNY Downstate, Cornell, Columbia) and have another one coming up (Albert Einstein). They’ve all been mostly conversational and have gone well. The interviewers seem to really like those of us who have life experience so be proud of your path and use it to your advantage.

Go OPMs!

WTG Snowgirl!

I interviewed today at KCOM - I was blown away by the great facilities and the faculty and students that I met - I hope I get accepted.

I interview tomorrow at Des Moines - it will be interesting to experience the two schools so close to the same time.

Good Luck to all.

woo!

You’ll love DMU! I was blown away by the surgical skills lab and simulated patients (the dummy ones, not real ones).

Snowgirl!!!

Congratulations! See - I told you that those interviews were going to start coming! Good luck and keep us posted!

And good luck to Cragmire in DMU today!

Kasia

Congrats Meg on your acceptance and congrats to Craig and Halcyon on all those interviews! Thanks for the encouragement, Kasia - what a ride!

Sweet! Honestly, I interviewed at KCOM knowing very little about the place in advance. Having grown up in a large city & then, currently living in Dallas - I was way less than thrilled with the prospect of living out in the boonies. In fact, I considered turning around while driving from Kansas City to Kirksville. I didn’t because I was afraid one wrong turn & I would fall of off the edge.

But, once I began to encounter the people & the facilities - I WAS SOLD 200%. Needless to say, it was where I chose to go & I have no regrets. On daily basis (did my internship, residency & now fellowship at Dartmouth), I encounter & work with med school grads of the elite Ivies, the Mayos, Hopkins and so on. I can & do stack my education & training from KCOM on equal parity to any of them - period.

Its nice to see a lot of the ‘old’ pre-meds are in the game and getting their foot in the door at a lot of places. Definitely encouraging news for those new to the site.

Working out scheduling details with St. Louis U and SUNY Upstate .

Interestingly enough, at one of my (two) high school reunions last week, I ran into an old friend I hadn’t seen in 12 years. She lives in Syracuse with her husband, who’s doing a neuropathology residency at SUNY Upstate, and they offered to put me up. Very nice!

Congratulations Adam!! I know you will do well on your interviews!

Happy news. I have 2 interviews for medical school!

Lincoln Memorial University - DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM) is Tues. 12/4/07

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine (WVSOM) is Weds. 1/30/08 - Thanks Linda if you put in a good word for me.

LMU-DCOM is in Harrogate, TN, and WVSOM is in Lewisburg, WV. Both are small towns of about 4,000 people.

I am so excited! I hope I do well in the interviews and get accepted.

Sounds good, StartingOver - good luck with em!

Stacy,

Congratulations on your interviews!! At WVSOM just relax and be yourself. It really is a very laid back atmosphere! Tell Donna and Angie I said ‘hi!’.

Congrats and good luck Adam and Stacy - this is exciting!

here is a note to emphasize the importance of checking the status of your application. I called all of the Texas schools that I applied to for a status because they wrap things up in December. One of the schools left me a message saying I did get an interview to call them back. I called them back immediately and they said that it was funny because my file was reviewed in July and my accound said “invite for interview” but I had received nothing and I was not on the schedule. The admin assistant said she was really sorry but she wasn’t sure what that meant and that she would have to speak with the dean to figure out if it was a glitch or what. I received the invite on email that same day saying I needed to respond by noon the day before. All that to say, sometimes the systems get flubbed up and it is not unlikely that you could be missing out if you don’t check it. I am glad I checked!! I still have a few to contact but I am going to keep at it now for sure!! Best of luck!