2014-2015 Application Cycle

I CANNOT believe its finally here! I will be applying this cycle and am so grateful for all of the support from everyone here. Good luck to all this cycle!

Started working on the 2015 AMCAS yesterday. Good luck to all those applying this cycle!

Can I send letters of recommendation that have been uploaded in Interfolio last year? Or do I need more recent letters?

Thanks and good luck to you all.

Bennard, here’s hoping you get some good news as we approach the AMCAS applicant decision day. There is bound to be some wait list movement coming.

Brenda, not sure, but it may not hurt to have them updated with more recent information if there is any to add. I don’t know about how your app was last cycle, but do you think new/updated LORs would strengthen your app?

Good luck everybody.

Thank you for your answer kennymac. When I asked the question it was for a friend with whom I was having a discussion about it. But now I also feel like this will be a question I will, maybe, ask next year.

This is my situation at the moment: I would like to apply this cycle but my MCAT is scheduled in one month. To be honest I don’t feel ready. I have things going on in my life at this time and it’s not helping. I can’t focus. If I reschedule the MCAT, schools will look at my application maybe early August, and this seems too late, especially for a non-trad.

Another possibility is to just take my time and make sure to do well on the MCAT (I better take this test before January 2015) and apply next year instead.

Two of my recommendations are already in. That’s why I said at the beginning that I may have to ask the question above next year. If I choose not to use the letters this year will I be able to use them next year?

What do you guys think I should do? Suggestions?

Thanks

Last year I took the MCAT in June, submitted my app on Aug 2, and was verified on Sep 23. Very less than ideal and I definitely think it hurt my chances at some schools. However, I still ended up with a 33% yield rate for interviews. Due to other commitments, I didn’t start interviewing until mid-late Feb thru late Mar, but the schools I did interview at said they still had seats. Earlier is definitely better in my opinion, but later isn’t necessarily the kiss of death. It’ll ultimately be your call on how much money you’re willing to invest based on your perceived chances for this cycle. Applying is not cheap… I would recommend not wasting money/time/soul taking the MCAT before you’re ready for it.

As long as the schools don’t see the recommendation this cycle, it’ll be new to them next year. The only thing they may question is the date on them. There’s no telling how much of your file will be looked at this cycle/kept on file to compare to next year.

Hey all!

I have not posted in a really long while but I just want to say that this website really help get my feet off the ground and solidify a long gnawing feeling…

Thanks and god speed to all applicants this cycle!

Started my AACOMAS app this week…

So I think I just hit a wall on my LoRs, not sure what to do about it now. Last year, I had the school’s premed committee write me a letter, and I had planned to use that letter again this year. So I got with the committee chair and asked if they could just resubmit the letter. He says that they can, but that I’ll have to wait until the fall when the committee meets to process my request for the letter. That means my application won’t be complete until October or November most likely. So frustrated!

I’ve got other letters from past co-workers and supervisors, but now I’m scrambling to get together some sort of academic recommendations so that I might get my application completed earlier.

I’ve officially thrown my hat into the ring and I submitted the AMCAS yesterday!

Now to get to work on the AACOMAS. Best of luck to all!

Hi everyone! I’m a long-time lurker, and finally got brave enough to sign up. I’m still working on my application, and hope to have it submitted sometime next week – still waiting on one more transcript from eons ago.

Don’t wait on the transcript…submit now and put your application in line to be processed

Have been gone from the boards for quite a while due to life being quite busy, but am back now, hopefully to stay.

I am applying again this cycle, strictly to DO schools this time, as my research & experience has me thinking the osteopathic philosophy makes quite a bit more sense for how I’d like to practice medicine.

I submitted my primary application on 6/1 to 11 schools. I have since received and submitted secondary applications to 10 them, with the 11th having effectively rejected me early on because they don’t like that I took the MCAT in 2012.

My 9 letters of reccomendation were uploaded last week (Pre-Med Committee letter includes 1 MD, 1 DO, several professors, etc.) and 7/10 schools have listed my application as complete. Crossing fingers that I’m able to get into the first batch of interviews.

This will be my third year applying, and hopefully my last.

I’m in the same boat as you Prodigal. 10+ years in IT and applying for the second time this year. Based on what you said the previous cycle, I assume that you’re in Utah like myself. Good luck! hopefully this is our year…

I am in Utah indeed, though hoping to be moving out of state next summer as the University of Utah SOM appears to not want anything to do with me

Just wanted to say “hello” and offer my support to everyone applying this year. Can’t wait to keep up with people’s progress reports. YOU CAN DO THIS!

From the other (e.g., accepted) side of the medical school application process, I will tell you that submitting my AMCAS just over a year ago seems more like a lifetime ago.

Remember: this too, shall pass …

Got my first interview invite last night, scheduled for mid September. It seems a few other schools I applied to have started sending out invites as well in the last couple days according to SDN.

Congrats! Just be yourself and there’s nothing to be nervous about. Love the second quote in your sig block

• Prodigal Said:
Got my first interview invite last night, scheduled for mid September. It seems a few other schools I applied to have started sending out invites as well in the last couple days according to SDN.

Congrats! Where are you interviewing. You don't have to share if you don't want to, but perhaps someone who has been there may have a few tips, who knows.

In any event best of luck.
  • redo-it-all Said:
  • Prodigal Said:

Congrats! Where are you interviewing. You don't have to share if you don't want to, but perhaps someone who has been there may have a few tips, who knows.

In any event best of luck.

Interviewing at KCUMB.

I have complete applications at 9 other schools, and in particular am hoping for interview invites to LUCOM, RVUCOM, & TCOM.

Alright then good luck. I am pretty sure one or more members here are at KCUMB, so hopefully they will pitch in.

Congrats again and I hope this interview (and hopefully many others to come) goes well.