2014-2015 Application Cycle

WTG, Prodigal! Let us know how it goes.

KCUMB is a great school - I’m biased though!!

2 rejection letters yesterday, both post secondary.

They were my least favorite schools of those I applied to, but still hurts considering my stats, LORs and ECs are solid/well above average.

Having gotten upwards of 20 rejection letters myself last cycle, I know the feeling. Don’t let it get you down. Remember that you don’t know what schools are looking for, specifically - my acceptances and rejections didn’t necessarily make sense, from the stance of school competitiveness, ranking, etc. You have an interview, and it’s early yet in the cycle! You need to be confident for your interview. They will be looking for that. You can do this!

Another interview invite this morning, Liberty University’s COM.

I now have 2 interviews 10 days apart next month. O.o

Congrats. If you didn’t apply to Campbell SOM, you should look into it. I applied last cycle, and the campus is nice (despite being in a tiny town) and it looks to be getting a lot of rotational slots in the greater Raleigh area. New program and small school, but it’s known in the area to be good–they convinced me that they have their stuff together. Double bonus - the school also has a 27 hole golf course if you can find time for that.

• kennymac Said:
Congrats. If you didn't apply to Campbell SOM, you should look into it. I applied last cycle, and the campus is nice (despite being in a tiny town) and it looks to be getting a lot of rotational slots in the greater Raleigh area. New program and small school, but it's known in the area to be good--they convinced me that they have their stuff together. Double bonus - the school also has a 27 hole golf course if you can find time for that.

I actually did apply there, but never got a secondary. They didn't like that I took the MCAT in June 2012 (their cutoff is apparently August 2012).

Boo. I liked the school, but definitely not enough to retake the MCAT…

So I submitted secondaries to 4 schools in mid-late July and from looking at SDN (yeah, I know, stay off it) it appears people who submitted around the same time as me with similar stats are getting interview invites. Been crickets for me so far.

Was thinking about calling the schools just to check in and make sure there are no problems, but looking at the opm posts from last year’s cycle, I might be worrying for nothing.

Thoughts? Should I call or sit tight?

Do schools do waves of interviews and how much does when you submitted a secondary play in to this?

Thanks

Hardest thing to do during app cycle is to wait. Each school does things differently, but you gotta think the bulk of their apps come in around jul-August. The school I got into does things in waves. Other schools take them as they come. Some schools keep you updated on your status, others let you sweat. I really don’t like the schools that silently hold your app “for continuous review” and don’t give you an answer until the end of the cycle. Hopefully you don’t have to wait that long to find out one way or the other.

It’s still early in the game. This time last year I was still waiting to be verified! No news is good news despite the fact that it doesn’t feel like it. There are others that have been rejected already.

SDN has a way to make people paranoid. There’s nothing you can do at this point. If your app is messed up, most places would probably tell you what you’re missing when they review your record. My guess is you’re just one of thousands on the pile and will be hearing soon. Good luck!

It is YOUR responsibility to ensure that each and every school has a complete application. They may not have received a required piece of paper and they will not let you know. You need to call and ensure that your file is complete and not missing anything.

This will allow you to see if your application is under review or if there is a reason it is not.

Good point Gabe. I was operating under the assumption that the file parts are tracked on his app status online. May not be the case with every school.

If the file is complete, still expect to wait. Last cycle I waited between about 3 weeks to over 3 months for any response after my files were complete at various schools. One of those long waits was for first review of my file that landed me an interview. Just try not to fret too much over that which is now out of your control.

Had my first interview of the season at Liberty University’s new COM this past weekend. Was very impressed with the faculty, facilities, and the very happy & enthusiastic students. Would very much like to attend if given the opportunity.

Interviews were fairly laid back and I think they went relatively well, but historically I’m terrible at judging that; and I have to keep reminding myself to not second guess or psychoanalyze everything that was said after the fact.

The admissions committee meets in the next 2-3 weeks, they said we should hear back before the end of the month.

My KCUMB interview is a week from today, looking forward to checking them out as well

Definitely don’t get into your head trying to figure out and understand the process of gaining a med school acceptance. Because every school is different, it’s impossible to know what you’re dealing with. You’ll only stress yourself out trying to guess how things went and what the adcom will decide. You have done everything you could to state your case, can’t change anything and can’t affect the outcome now. What is there to worry about

Good luck with the next interview and the joy that is waiting!

Waitlisted at Liberty. Ouch. Almost worse than an outright rejection.

Haven’t heard from KCUMB yet (understandably though as it’s been all of 4 days), I do think that interview may have gone better…and from what I hear they have a crazy high acceptance rate for those that get invited to interview.

While a wait list slot could mean months of the agony of waiting, at least it also means you still have a chance! I got accepted off the wait list less than a week after I sent a letter of interest (required to remain on the wait list at my school). Keep the faith! Hopefully KC loved you so much they snatch you up right away.

First interview invites at LUCOM and WVSOM for November 3rd and 5th respectivelly. Good thing they are close to one another. I’m excited and nervous at the same time…

• Prodigal Said:
Waitlisted at Liberty. Ouch. Almost worse than an outright rejection.

I completely disagree! Like kennymac, I also got off a waitlist, although mine took several months (I was un-waitlisted at Cornell in July). Medical schools get so, so many qualified applicants. If Liberty waitlisted you, they consider you qualified to attend their school. And it's early yet.
  • patkay52 Said:
First interview invites at LUCOM and WVSOM for November 3rd and 5th respectivelly. Good thing they are close to one another. I'm excited and nervous at the same time...

Congratulations! Remember: Take a breath.

Howdy peeps! Just saw this thread (sorry, I’ve been off for a very long while).

I’m also in this years rat race for an acceptance. Just got my AACOMAS verified Yesterday.

Good luck and God speed to any and all premed’ers out in the running.