5/28 MCAT

Anyone else recently take the MCAT? I took the May 28th one… the scores are being released this Tuesday (possibly Monday), and I’m getting kinda nervous.

Hey, it’s no big deal, right? Just my whole future

I have to keep reminding myself to stay away from SDN, there’s a thread there dedicated to stressing out over that specific test date.

I’m right there with you. I’ve already signed up for a re-take July 31st, because I know the first section went poorly…worse than any practice test I ever took. (sigh). I hope you did well.

And now I’ll have to go to SDN and look. It’s a shame that it’s not like a bar exam, where they might grade on a bell curve…I mean, throwing out crazy questions, etc.

It’s my understanding that they DO curve, but maybe not too much. I don’t think they throw out questions, but they do have experimental passages (or questions in the passage) that don’t count.

I should probably have signed up for a retake, but I wasn’t feeling too badly after the test. I was more relieved to have it behind me. Now that the big day is approaching, I’m experiencing some self-doubt. I hope the scores come out a day early to put us all out of our misery!

The waiting is torture…

Best of luck to you both!

Thanks for the well-wishes. I ended up with a 33Q, so I’m pretty bummed. It’s not a bad score, but with my academic background I really needed to hit a home run.

I assure you that a 33Q is a great score. It is well above average and likely above the average MCAT score at many schools. I don’t remember the specifics of your academic past, but if you have done well in your most recent coursework (strong upward trend), I wouldn’t hesitate to apply with that score.

Okay…so I’m not going to tell you my score–except for the R on the writing sample. I’m re-taking at the end of July and hoping to do much better. Mtnbiker, 33 is fantastic. I would be dancing if that were my score! Great job.

PS On the real thing I scored three points lower than I did on the Kaplan diagnostic before I took the prep course…and that score might have been okay It’s a real bummer. I’m hoping it just wasn’t my day, and I’m trying to be hopeful about July. But early decision is now off the table.

Thank you… I do have an upward trend, I just hope it’s enough!

Great job on the writing sample! I’m sorry the rest didn’t work out the way you wanted, I’m sure you’ll kick butt on the July test. It makes it easier to know what to expect going in.

33 is an AWESOME score. Congratulations!

33Q is awesome!! (at least that’s how I felt since that was also my score way-back-when). You should be doing the happy dance and submitting your applications!!

Thank you Mary and Tara, I sent out the apps this morning. Fingers crossed…

I was also a 5/28 test taker and just got the scores back today - 25T. I’m completely bummed about how I fared on the science sections, but based on how I felt the day of I’m not terribly surprised. I found the real thing to be way harder than any of the practice tests I’d taken (which I was scoring much better on). Some of the content was really outside of my knowledge base and was even difficult for me to find the answers to after finishing the test.

Anyone know how much weight schools put on the writing sample? Most of the comments I’ve heard say as long as you score mid-range or better that’s all they want. I just feel like I did the complete opposite of what I needed here. Ugh…

I already signed up to re-test at the end of August. I know I can do better!!!

Hey Mtnbiker,

I can only echo what everyone else has already said! 33Q is very good! Good luck on your application! I’m sure you will be very successful!

I think you are right about the writing sample-- they are just looking to make sure you are average, that you are literate. If were any more than that, it would have a number score.

• Lilchickiemonk Said:
I know I can do better!!!

This is completely outside the scope of what I know through experience...

What are you going to do differently to prep for the August MCAT? It is a rhetorical question in many ways but just retaking it and studying harder, won't necessarily equate to an supremely increased score.

Would you be better off taking another year to take more courses and retake next year with more knowledge under your belt?

From what I've been told and what I've read myself, the MCAT is NOT about rote memory which serves everyone well in that capacity in classes, it tests the ability to apply that knowledge, something MCAT prep classes can't teach in 6 weeks or so. They can re-establish and help refine, but not teach it.

Getting a T for the writing sample is truly impressive. I imagine that whatever you do for a living involves the written word.

I wish I had discovered the MCAT prep section of SDN before I took the MCAT. There’s a lot of good advice on how to prepare for the various sections.

In my case, I assumed (mistakenly) that my core classes would prepare me for the MCAT. It may just be my university, but the two prereq biology courses only touched on what the MCAT tests for bio. In order to thoroughly prepare for that section, I would recommend taking genetics, cell bio and biochem. On the other hand, my chem classes (both org and inorg) were very complete. Physics not so much, since optics, fluid dynamics and sound waves are in physics III, but only I and II are prereqs.

Good luck!

• jkp2117 Said:
  • Lilchickiemonk Said:
I know I can do better!!!

This is completely outside the scope of what I know through experience...

What are you going to do differently to prep for the August MCAT? It is a rhetorical question in many ways but just retaking it and studying harder, won't necessarily equate to an supremely increased score.

Would you be better off taking another year to take more courses and retake next year with more knowledge under your belt?

From what I've been told and what I've read myself, the MCAT is NOT about rote memory which serves everyone well in that capacity in classes, it tests the ability to apply that knowledge, something MCAT prep classes can't teach in 6 weeks or so. They can re-establish and help refine, but not teach it.

I can only agree with what jkp is stating.

I think you (Lilchickiemonk) need to consider this attempt...what with the test did you have difficulty with...was it content? Did you understand the fundamentals of the subjects? Or was it in the test format?

I would make sure that do as many practice exams as possible from now til just before your next exam. You should also make sure to go over each exam to see where you made errors. After seeing the correct answer, did you understand where you went wrong? Or were you unsure of the concept being applied? If it is the former, look at the question again and see if it was in the asking of the question, or think back to see if you might not have read the question correctly. If on the other hand, it was the concept that tripped you up, go back to your textbooks and try to get that understanding down better.

I think that if after a few FL tests under test conditions (i.e. timed), you are not getting a better hang of the test, I would reconsider your test date.

You really want to take this only when you are ready...just to take it again before you feel you must apply this year can cause more stress and possibly lower your scores. Medical school isn't going anywhere...there is no harm in taking more upper level classes this year and reapplying next cycle.