Also in need of premed advice...

I am currently a police officer and have a 2 month old. I have recently decided to take my pre req courses. I know deep in my heart this is what I want to do but my educational past is not so good. How can I… A nontraditional student…be competitive with all these young students who have 4.0’s and up? I feel like I don’t have much to bring to the table compared to other students…thank god my husband is supportive but I just want to know if anyone with a similar background has done it…

You would be very surprised at those “younger students”. I would bet with your determination and the goal you have set before you that you would run circles around them.

What do you bring to the table? Passion, dedication, motivation, experience, sheer will power, drive, maturity, real-life and the support of everyone here.

I don’t think the table that you sit at could hold anymore! Go do it!!

this whole site is filled. Just go and read the diaries. welcome to old pre meds, you are among kindred spirits.

• PDMD Said:
How can I.. A nontraditional student...be competitive with all these young students who have 4.0's and up? I feel like I don't have much to bring to the table compared to other students

Do not have the mindset that you are competing against anyone other than yourself. To do so is to invite FUD -- fear, uncertainty and doubt. This is not a competitive race against others but a marathon of your own. Yes, you must finish well but you do not need to be first. You need overcome many challenges along the way, climb many hills, and as a non-traditional student, you need to create your own path to do so.

I had 6 month old twins when I started. Leave all the “ifs ands buts” at the door. My challenge is myself and nothing else, as it is for most of us.

Hey Maddux—good to see you are coming around again!

4 kids here. can be done.

Besides, “4.0’s and up”?? I don’t think the AACOMAS or AMCAS application give you any points for A pluses, so it’s no worse than 4.0

And I’d say the majority of successful medical school applicants do NOT have a 4.0 average. It’s the whole picture they are looking at, and GPA is only a part of it.

Kate