An Introduction

Please allow me to introduce myself. I just joined. I am 52-years-old and begin medical school on August 11, 2010. I have learned quite a lot about the admission process in this three year journey of mine to change careers from being a lawyer to gaining admission to medical school.

I have spent the last three years working my usual 50 hour week while taking all of the pre-med science courses and taking the MCAT. I aspplierd to nine medical schools and was accepted to three. Most of the other six I withdrew my application before an admission decision was made.

If I can do this at my age then there is hope for all “old premeds.”

Congratulations!

BTW if lawyer goes to the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic medicine, can he/she claim to be a Philadelphia lawyer? (sorry I couldn’t resist)

Keep us up to date on your experience in medical school.

This is most inspiring! Good for you!!

Congratulations! I am so happy for you!

Dear LawyerDoc2B

Congratulations!

I have just started my journey by taking prerequisites at age 45 and planning to apply for Fall 2013. Please share more details about your background and application (if you don’t mind). Things like GPA, MCAT score, your interview experiences, did you take prerequisites at community college or four year schools and anything else you think would help us thru this long journey.

Thanks

My brief portfolio:

B.S. in Engineering 1990, overseas

M.S. in Engineering 1998, overseas

PhD. in Engineering 2006, USA (GPA 3.8)

Have been working in industry and academia for 20 years

Have published 10 technical papers in my field

Started prerequisites in Spring 2010

Volunteering at a hospital (6-12 hours a week)

Plan to take MCAT in April 2012 and apply the a month later for 2013 matriculation

Kudo’s! I’m really impressed that you took your prereqs and the MCAT while working. I took the year off to take my courses. I’m a year ahead of you - starting this August at 53. I also was accepted at 3 schools and withdrew my application at the others, most of them before a decision had been made - because I was accepted where I wanted to go.

I look forward to seeing how school goes for you (and me!)

Kate

You guys are a definite inspiration to me!!!

Dear Kate

Congratulations!

Your success is another source of inspiration for me. Could you please be kind enough to share some of your background and experiences with us? Things like GPA, MCAT score, your interview experiences, did you apply for MD schools as well (that is my plan) or anything else you think would help us thru this long journey.

Thanks

My brief portfolio:

B.S. in Engineering 1990, overseas

M.S. in Engineering 1998, overseas

PhD. in Engineering 2006, USA (GPA 3.8)

Have been working in industry and academia for 20 years

Have published 10 technical papers in my field

Started prerequisites in Spring 2010

Volunteering at a hospital (6-12 hours a week)

Plan to take MCAT in April 2012 and apply in Jun for 2013 matriculation