An Introduction...

Hello fellow pre-meds!

The “General Discussion” description said introduce yourself, so I will do just that.

I am a second year Biology major at The Ohio State University. I spent the last twenty years as a firefighter/paramedic and just recently retired to pursue medical school. I absolutely enjoy medicine and, as a medic, couldn’t get enough. You would think my interests are in line with emergency medicine, but I have a great desire for primary care. I want to be involved with an individual’s overall health. I am excited about the future of medicine, namely P4 medicine (Predictive, Preventive, Personalized, Participatory). That is right up a primary care clinician’s alley!

I will be applying to medical school at the young age of 47. Most people are supportive, but I have run across the occasional scoff. Finding this web site is inspirational!

Here’s to hard work and GO BUCKS!

Paul

Welcome, Paul! I think you’ll find this is a “scoff-free zone”

I totally get your interest (I am headed for primary care as well - despite experience in intensive care units and in OB-GYN. Like to care for the whole person, and have continuity of care (rather than episodic crisis driven care).

Kate

Welcome, Paul!! I did most of my pre-reqs at Ohio State and attended medical school there. There are currently 2 OPMers that are at OSU - Dazed and Adam (Blanking on Adam’s screen name at the moment).

• Emergency! Said:
(Blanking on Adam's screen name at the moment).

pi1304

Gland to have you hear Paul!! Always beware the F.U.D. and there is strength in numbers. Welcome my friend

Paul,

I did my time on the line as a medic firefighter in another Big 10 town. Not as big as Columbus though!

If CFD was your job I used to have acquaintances there on 4th Street, actually rode a couple shifts (back when the rescues looked liked converted bread trucks if that dates me at all).

I’m on the same schedule as you, mid 40’s, in my 2nd/3rd year of prereqs, new to the forum. Just thought I would say hi and welcome.

Crepitus

• Crepitus Said:
Paul,

If CFD was your job I used to have acquaintances there on 4th Street, actually rode a couple shifts (back when the rescues looked liked converted bread trucks if that dates me at all).

Crepitus

Hey Crepitus!

Here's one for ya. When I was a kid, I remember we were all in the car and my dad pulled over for the "Heart Mobile" going to a call; the first ACLS vehicle. If the rescues were converted bread trucks, the heart mobile was a converted RV.

http://www.heartmobile.org/

• Kate429 Said:
Welcome, Paul! I think you'll find this is a "scoff-free zone"

I totally get your interest (I am headed for primary care as well - despite experience in intensive care units and in OB-GYN. Like to care for the whole person, and have continuity of care (rather than episodic crisis driven care).

Kate

Same here! Definitely going primary care route for that very reason!
  • PAR67 Said:
  • Crepitus Said:
Paul,

Crepitus

Hey Crepitus!

Here's one for ya. When I was a kid, I remember we were all in the car and my dad pulled over for the "Heart Mobile" going to a call; the first ACLS vehicle. If the rescues were converted bread trucks, the heart mobile was a converted RV.

http://www.heartmobile.org/

Okey doke, now I got to see if I can out "war story" ya!

I rode one of these. Yep, with the curtains and everything. Was a young punk of 18, used to get out wearing my white "Mother, Jugs and Speed" smock so embarrased I couldn't hardly take it!

• TicDocDoh Said:
  • Emergency! Said:
(Blanking on Adam's screen name at the moment).

pi1304

Also known as shoeless
  • futurdoc2BE Said:
  • Kate429 Said:
Welcome, Paul! I think you'll find this is a "scoff-free zone"

Kate

Same here! Definitely going primary care route for that very reason!

1) One of our missions at OPM is to provide accurate information and support to those who are wishing to become physicians. When we identify hurdles and give critical advice it is done to help you find a path to overcome those issues, not to dissuade.

2) Many of our members go into primary care. Of the 5 physicians on the executive advisory council, 3 are in family practice.

3) At the aacom conference in 2010 I had a chance to ask the surgeon general of the united states, Regina M. Benjamin a question it was how are we going to get current primary care practitioners to become boosters of their own specialty?

• gonnif Said:

How are we going to get current primary care practitioners to become boosters of their own specialty?

So inquiring minds want to know... did she have an interesting, thought provoking answer?

No, she didnt nor did all the deans and professors from the DO schools