Anatomy in 13 days

So the state university where I have transferred to has a winter session. From December 28 to January 13, between the Fall and Spring semesters. They offer a 3 hour Anatomy class and a 1 hr Anatomy lab.

I’m strongly considering taking this class. I’ve done accelerated classes before, though never this fast and not as memory intensive as I would consider anatomy. This class would have around 40 students versus the 400 or so in two sections that take it during the year. I have 20 years of rudimentary anatomy background. The university obviously thinks it can be done by students. I would be able to take off time so that I had no work responsibilities for these two weeks. It helps put me back on track in terms of time schedule, particularly if I take a full Spring load and Summer classes next year. (yes I know I’m in a marathon, not a sprint, but I have some timing issues that are being applied to me).

On the other side, good gravy, 13 weekdays, 17 days total. I’m not certain how you physically get the time to review the material enough to perform the rote memorization of this subject. It’s also been fairly important in the past to get those decompression times between semesters where school gets to fall out of my mind completely. This eats one of those up.

I’ve got an email out to the professor, feelers out to other students checking on the rigor of this particular section, but I am interested in OPM feedback.

Thanks,

Crepitus

• Crepitus Said:
So the state university where I have transferred to has a winter session. From December 28 to January 13, between the Fall and Spring semesters. They offer a 3 hour Anatomy class and a 1 hr Anatomy lab.

I'm strongly considering taking this class. I've done accelerated classes before, though never this fast and not as memory intensive as I would consider anatomy. This class would have around 40 students versus the 400 or so in two sections that take it during the year. I have 20 years of rudimentary anatomy background. The university obviously thinks it can be done by students. I would be able to take off time so that I had no work responsibilities for these two weeks. It helps put me back on track in terms of time schedule, particularly if I take a full Spring load and Summer classes next year. (yes I know I'm in a marathon, not a sprint, but I have some timing issues that are being applied to me).

On the other side, good gravy, 13 weekdays, 17 days total. I'm not certain how you physically get the time to review the material enough to perform the rote memorization of this subject. It's also been fairly important in the past to get those decompression times between semesters where school gets to fall out of my mind completely. This eats one of those up.

I've got an email out to the professor, feelers out to other students checking on the rigor of this particular section, but I am interested in OPM feedback.

Thanks,

Crepitus

I think it really matter as to what level and depth this would be. Is this a classic zoology introduction where you start with the earthworm move thru the phyla and end with fetal pig dissection? Or is this a hardcore cat lab? I think the former is very doable. The latter could be difficult, though easier than summer organic IF you can sit and absorb/memorize 3 hours a night and 6 on each weekend day.

Kind of what I have been thinking as well Richard, just haven’t heard back from anyone in the know. Here is the minimal course description:

• In reply to:
General Catalog: General human anatomy covering most systems of the body.

Description: This course studies general human anatomy covering all systems of the body. The course is appropriate for students majoring or minoring in areas where a human anatomy course is required or desirable, or as an introductory human anatomy course for students planning on careers in the various health professions. Normally, three exams are given.

Makes me think it is probably a relatively basic course. It's not taught out of the Anatomy Department, but the Health and Human Physiology Department

On the other hand, med school anatomy for me was done in 10 weeks and was an 8 1/2 credit course (think the breakdown was 3 hrs lecture, 5 1/2 hours lab but not sure). Sounds to me that the time frame for this would be intense, but not sure it would significantly help you in medical school anatomy. Maybe having one of those “down time” breaks would be more important.

Kate

Great reply Kate, thank you for taking the time to post it.

Just to clarify, I’m not one of those premed hopeful that thinks an undergrad anatomy will carry me very far in med school. Helpful maybe, but minimally so is my expectation.

In my case it is a semi-requirement of my degree program (pick 4 of these 6 classes and take them sort of deal). I chose it to keep the possibility of a PA program application alive as well. Anatomy and Physiology, while not med school pre-req’s, are for PA programs.

There now I’ve done it. I displayed my tendency to try and hedge bets and let the cat out of the bag that I’m also thinking about PA! I hope this doesn’t mean that I will have to take 50 lashes from the OPM wet noodle!

Have a great day everyone and if you have thoughts about a 2 1/2 week anatomy class let me know.

Crepitus

actually that sounds like a basic course to me, especially out of health and physiology. My gut says doable

Okay gang, wish me luck.

Class starts tomorrow, just logged into the course website and see we have our first “Quiz” over 4 chapters (Anatomical Positioning, Terminology/Organization/ Cells, Embryology & Tissues) the following day!

But it’s only worth 16% of the course grade

It is a basic class Gonnif, but looking through a couple practice tests the professor is pulling some relatively obscure information. For example the practice test for next weeks Skeletal/Connectivity test asks “What vitamin deficiency is associated with Ricketts?”

I’m thinking flashcards aren’t going to be as big a help as I had hoped for!

LOL!

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you continue to enjoy the break that I have spurned!

Crepitus

• Crepitus Said:
"What vitamin deficiency is associated with Ricketts?"

vitamin D

Crepitus,

You should be enjoying the holidays instead of loading up on extra school. You will be buried in schoolwork soon enough as it is.
  • TicDocDoh Said:
  • Crepitus Said:
"What vitamin deficiency is associated with Ricketts?"

vitamin D

Crepitus,

You should be enjoying the holidays instead of loading up on extra school. You will be buried in schoolwork soon enough as it is.

TicDocDoh,

Yes you are correct. I'm trying very hard not to sprint, I just happen to have some external constraints being pushed on me (partially age, family related more so). I've also dropped my full time job to part time and my half time job to PRN so now is the time to be school focused.

I'm hoping to make it up by taking a real spring break with my children this year though!

And yes I knew Vitamin D. (Okay I looked it up!) The problem is that's the question he already sampled us, what other muscoskeletal disorder is he going to ask about? I mean there have to be, what ten, fifteen more?

Thanks for taking time to post and for the advice. It might not have been my smartest choice, but what the heck, you can hang from your thumbs for twelve days right?

Crepitus

One more day, final this Saturday!

Man! That was fast! It’s almost unbelievable the way that professor covered ground!