Another newbie

Hi All!

I’m very fortunate to have found this site in the beginning of my quest to becoming a doctor. I’m a somewhat recent college graduate who has been working in the private sector for roughly six months. For years I’ve doubted my abilities to become a doctor. While studying business at UMich I was turned off by the orgo horror stories, as well as turned on by my success in business and social science courses. I spent the past six months blindly working my way up the corporate ladder. Throughout my professional career I have made time and effort to do some careful soul searching and self-reflection. It was approximately three months ago that I came to the conclusion that I was simply unsatisfied with my career choice and needed to once and for all attempt the premed route. My path took many years and was very unorthodox. During this time I’ve had to encounter my fears and doubts and overcome them with the subdued and dormant passion that I’ve always had for becoming a doctor. The arduous path of completing premed requirements and Medical School stimulate my senses as much as strenuous day to day activities of being a doctor.

To me a career is not simply a job but rather a life style choice. The life style I wish to lead is one that is a constant intellectual and emotional challenge. I want to come home and feel as though I have sacrificed all that I could in the process of contributing to the wellness of an individual, dare I say society? (medical research?)

Now that the corny introduction is concluded (rather difficult to put passion on paper) I’d like to ask for your advice. I am continuing to work for a company that allows me much leeway with scheduling. Because of this I am now debating on remaining with the company and finishing my premed requirements without debt but at a slower pace or quitting the job all together and entering one of the many accelerated Post-baccalaureate programs. All thoughts, advice and personal stories are welcome.

Thank you.

Welcome!

I have been here for over three years and the kind folks here have been absolutely awesome when encouragement, guidance, or a quick-kick was required.

My professional life, likewise, zoomed ahead full speed so fast that when my son turned 14, I was the VP of a $1B company, owned a beautiful home, kept a couple of luxury cars in the garage, and… I’m a single mom - no father around, no child support, no nothing. I was pretty pleased with myself

Until, of course, I asked my company to restate their financials at which point I became the business woman equivalent of Cruella DeVille (in their minds; in the SEC and my mind, not so much!).

Suffice to say, I tried to do the pre-med route without working but found my funds ran out quickly and other issues arose.

I now work about 30 hours a week, come and go when I want/need, take the courses required, take time off to study for exams, and basically manage a part time work schedule with a part time school schedule.

Work is a good escape from school, and vice verse. I also find having a paycheck is rather nice as it lets me sign up for things I’d otherwise not be able to (concerts, extra symposiums, grand rounds, etc) which allows me escape from both work and school.

If I won the lottery, and money was of no concern, I think I’d still work part time on contract so that I kept one foot inside the business world (fall back plan) and one foot moving ahead. I figure the business knowledge - technology advancements, current trends, political issues worldwide - will help as I pursue medicine.

Oh, and I’m 47. And I’m allopathic focused only at this point.

Again, Welcome!

Thank you for the warm salutations and for sharing your story with me. As you described there are many benefits of working and going to school concurrently. At this point my career life and academic life are very appropriately balanced. It is always wonderful not stressing over funding for a normal life.

Now I have a follow up question for you and the community. I live in the state of MI and have been considering completing the courses at a nearby state university that would be commuter-friendly. I am leaning towards EMU. Would med-schools prefer completing all courses in one university? If so should I take these courses at a state University, CC, or online program such as BYU Independent Study? Do Medical Schools require calculus based physics? How many classes did you take per semester? Is there normal time frame in which med-schools want you to finish the pre-reqs?

Lets stick with these questions for now, I’m sure I’ll come up with more.

Thank you.

• blueMDtoBe Said:
=

I live in the state of MI and have been considering completing the courses at a nearby state university that would be commuter-friendly. I am leaning towards EMU. Would med-schools prefer completing all courses in one university? If so should I take these courses at a state University, CC, or online program such as BYU Independent Study? Do Medical Schools require calculus based physics? How many classes did you take per semester? Is there normal time frame in which med-schools want you to finish the pre-reqs?

Lets stick with these questions for now, I’m sure I’ll come up with more.

Thank you.

The short answer is - a state university. CC somewhat less respected, online courses sometimes not accepted at all, definately not competetitive. How many credits a semester? IF POSSIBLE having at least 1 semester of a full time schedule (15 hours or so) that is science heavy is helpful, but don't put all the hard science courses in at the same time as you need to excell as well. Normal time frame -- there isn't one (particularly for non-trads - maybe we're not "normal" ?

But that said, if you can get all your prereqs in within 5 yrs of application to med school, that is preferable (recent courses are better than old courses).

Calc -based physics? It depends. Some schools do and some don't. If you have an idea of what schools you are interested in, you can check each individual school's web site (or the AMCAS and ACCOMAS info) to find out. If you just want to look and feel that enough of the schools DON'T require calc-based physics, you may just decide it's not worth the effort (I did - and I'd had the calc already). Only non-calc-based physics is tested on the MCAT. Many schools don't require the calc.

Kate

BlueMDtobe,

Welcome, you will find the forum has a plethora of information. With only one month of reading posts, I have been able to answer most of my questions and make a reasonable picture and plan of action for my particular case–starting from scratch. I am sure the same will happen to you.

Keep reading and keep us posted.