Apply in June 2012, but put off MCAT until afterwards?

What are the consequences of applying for medical school by June 1, but taking the MCAT a bit later? Do I need the scores before applying, such as to put on the AAMCAS form? What are the consequences of taking the test a bit later?

So, I’ve been studying for the MCAT but I have not been doing very well on my tests. I am only get about half of the problems right. I keep second guessing myself or changing my mind. I am also not fast enough on the tests. My MCAT date is March 24 and, given my current test experiences, I want to postpone it until I am doing better.

But I do not want to postpone applying to medical school. My chances of getting into a U.S. DO or MD school are dismal given my poor science GPA, so I want to maximize my MCAT score. Nevertheless, I expect to go to either a Caribbean and other foreign schools.

Datsa

From my personal experience, being out of time, let alone scoring low, is a good indication you are not ready. At this stage and even working full time on your MCAT for March 24 would probably not make you ready.

Postponing the MCAT is a good idea. However, while you can apply before taking the MCAT, your app will not be looked at until the scores arrive. So in my opinion you are simply shooting yourself in the foot.

If your numbers are not great already, I would recommend postponing the entire application 1 year. I understand this is not what you want to hear, but this is my honest opinion.

I am scoring high 30s on the AAMC tests and I am not even sure I would be ready just yet. Remember also that I scored 30 on my first attempt due a dismal Verbal score (6), at the time, my AAMC test average was 36 or so. I rushed, I paid. While my verbal were in the 8-9s consistently, I was aiming for that and it didn’t work. In other words, your practice should be comfortably higher than your actual target score (+3 or +4 pts).

So up to you. I wish you good luck.

Datsa,

I agree completely with Redo. It utterly sucks to think of waiting another year… I know, I’m there as well. My path is similar to yours in many regards and in this particular case, I could submit my app, take the MCAT in July and be fully complete in early August when my MCAT score is released. The thought of waiting another year… makes me cringe. The thought of rushing to submit when I’m not ready… makes me cringe.

The lesser of the two cringes has me waiting another year to make sure I have the time I need to ace the MCAT, to be methodical, to be sure I’ve done absolutely everything I can to submit the most polished app I can.

In our cases, I truly believe the wait is worth it. In your case particularly, I think acing the MCAT is only going to happen by waiting.

Hard decision - my empathy to you as you decide.

If my scores arrive late, say during mid or latter half of the summer, does that mean that my app will be put off until next year anyway? Or will they look at it now. I know that some schools have rolling admissions, so I assume they will take applicants as they come.

In this case, yes, they will look at your application as soon as the scores arrive.

And, it would be a reapp next year.

I truly do not see the win here applying this year; only a detraction.

• Adoc2be Said:
And, it would be a reapp next year.

I truly do not see the win here applying this year; only a detraction.

I totally agree with Adoc2be on this. There is no upside in rushing and applying now.

Again, I hate to be discouraging, but this is my honest opinion.

Best of luck to you datsa, no matter what course of action you chose.

So, you are saying instead of applying in June 2012 and then waiting for my MCAT scores in July 2012, I should just apply June 2013 or earlier?

datsa,

I can only speak for MD schools, but if you submit your AMCAS in June, then let’s say take your MCAT in Aug, you get your scores back in Sept, schools will look at your primary app in Sept. Your AMCAS won’t be complete until the MCAT score arrives. Then there’s usually some time (about 1-3 weeks) before you receive secondaries.

The consequence is that you technically join the game later than others since (in my example) you wouldn’t be fully complete at schools until about Oct.

Good luck.

• datsa Said:
So, you are saying instead of applying in June 2012 and then waiting for my MCAT scores in July 2012, I should just apply June 2013 or earlier?

Yes. Given your level of preparation, I would take the MCAT in April/May 2013 and apply as early as possible for the 2013 cycle. This way you have more time to beef up your MCAT prep, and hopefully get a good score. Secondly you wouldn't apply late and this would help your chances to get in. So it is a win/win (except for the time loss)

You mentioned a few important point regarding your MCAT perf as of now

1- out of time

2- guessing and uncertainty

3- half of the questions wrong.

This is unlikely to earn you a good MCAT score, and perhaps need a bit more than a few months working on it. But this is my impression (and I may very well be wrong).

In any event, good luck.
  • redo-it-all Said:

You mentioned a few important points regarding your MCAT perf as of now

1- out of time

2- guessing and uncertainty

3- half of the questions wrong.

This is unlikely to earn you a good MCAT score, and perhaps need a bit more than a few months working on it. But this is my impression (and I may very well be wrong).

In any event, good luck.

I think Re-do has it spot on. If your GPA were a 4.0 or 3.9 or a 3.8, I'd say go for it with a 28 - 30 MCAT score, but your GPA is not.

You NEED a great MCAT score + 1st time application, not a mediocre MCAT score and a 2nd time application.

It sucks, Datsa. In commiseration with you... the thought of "one more year" after having given it all to get so close, just to be "this" short is daunting and yet, we've taken a break and where do we end up?

Right back here. I think you need to wait on the MCAT so you can nail the sucker. For one thing, you going into with the kind of pressure you have and the current preparation scores you're receiving is not good for you, your self-esteem, or your continued path.

IF, however, you wait and study, really master the MCAT prep materials, you alleviate some of that pressure and hopefully, gain some of that momentum needed heading into the test.

My best to you, Datsa with your decision. Whatever it is, you know we'll all be here to support you!

You are right. Besides my own MCAT preparation, family pressure is also a factor in applying now than later. I have been putting off applying to medical school for years as I attempted to unsuccessfully shore up my science GPA; if I had applied years ago with just the basics my GPA would have been much higher, but I did not. And then there is the age factor that is freaking them out.

You have to weigh the odds. Most here will say (and maybe for good reason) to only apply early. I will say that you have to judge what works for you. A later application, if you score well, could very much work. Of course, this depends a lot on the schools applied to as well as a ton of other things. Technically, if you have a great app, anything in before the school application date cutoff could possibly work. It depends on the strength of the application.

So, you have to ask yourself if it’s worth taking the chance vs waiting another year.

I concur with all who are suggesting to delay application. Even though you can technically apply without an MCAT score, anything past say July, really puts you are the downward slope of the rolling admissions cycle. That is, students are accepted as their applications are completed and reviewed. So as the cycle moves forward, there are less seats available and thus percentages work against you.

I am very strong believer in being the strongest first time applicant possible. So I would urge you consider is your goal to get into medical school or to get into medical school quickly?

Gonnif, you are right; but I would not say that I have been trying to get into medical school quickly: I have been trying this for years.

My family, friends, and premed colleagues think that I have enough schooling, and don’t want to me to delay any longer. However, I have serious liabilities, on my application. In particular, my science GPA is not very good, in part because I am a slow reader (and maybe a slow thinker) especially on timed tests. It would be nice to find other ways to shore up my science GPA. Unfortunately, I have already exhausted my post-bacc options; perhaps a masters?

I will ask this, what would you do as plan B? that is, if you dont get into medical school what would do? If there is a hardcore sciences masters in the field that would be a direction to consider

I have a question concerning this as well. I have been pressed for time this spring so far and have a June 21 MCAT date. I feel I may need to postpone until July due to not being able to devote enough time to do practice tests. I have only completed one so far from a prep company not from AAMC. I didn’t score very well either. (24) I have been reading review books and answering questions, but just feel I may need to wait. I have already rescheduled once before. What do you think I should do? I am applying to Osteopathic schools only as they are my preference. Thanks for any assistance.

I booked a later date as a fallback (since it might not be available by the time my first test date rolled around) and ended up cancelling. But at least I had done my best to limit the damage if I had to postpone the first test date (so I didn’t end up with an August date). You get most of your money back.

Kate

FWIW, I am not registering for this cycle, but instead, am delaying my MCAT until early next year. It feels sane and methodical. I will be a 2013 applicant and hopeful, 2014 matriculant!

Doing anything else was making me feel tremendous pressure!

Well I am going ahead with my June 21 date for now. I have gotten my study time up and running. I am at least giving myself until April 21. If I have not improved much by then I will postpone, but I think I am suffering from fear of the MCAT. I can’t put this off forever and I have to just do this. Fear will do nothing but cripple you. With that being said, I am off to study. Good luck to all.