Baylor College of Medicine

I go to Baylor, which is in the Houston medical center. The major difference at Baylor is the compressed preclinical schedule. We complete our coursework in December of second year and begin clinical rotations in January of second year. This provides 9-10 flexible months during rotations to do what you want (take a vacation, have a baby, take electives, go overseas, etc). We work closely with three hospitals in the medical center - one public, one private, and one VA. The quality and diversity of experience in clincals is fantastic (or so I hear).
I’m just a first year, so I’ll tell you my experience so far. Our classes are great. We’re on a block schedule where we have exams every 6-8 weeks. The whole first semester is pass/fail, then second semester we start getting grades. Our classes are M-F from 8am to noon (including labs). One afternoon a week, we have Integrated Problem Solving (our PBL class) and another afternoon we have Patient, Physican & Society (our clinic class). Both of these classes are awesome and help apply what we are learning to real cases, and also give us a chance to see patients in a primary care clinic.
There are about 170 students in each class - although I don’t see a lot of them because the lectures are recorded and can be watched over the internet (at double speed if you want!) so only about half of the class comes to class.
The vast majority of my class is traditional students, maybe about 10% are non-trad. There are only 4 of us over 30, and I am one of two women with kids. There are lots of guys with kids (maybe 10 or so) and their wives stay home.
Baylor is pretty big on stats - they like to see good numbers. There may be exceptions, but we never talk grades and stuff so I don’t know.
I feel really lucky to be at Baylor. It is an awesome environment where they really care about the students and the quality of our education.
I know that Houston has a really bad reputation, but I don’t really understand why. It’s hard to adjust to the weather at first, but the city really grows on you. I’ve lived here over 10 years and love it!
Please feel free to post any question about Baylor or Houston!

Dear. Ms. Cadet,

Houston is my first choice. Everyone I have told this to looks at me like I am nuts and I don’t know why. Is it UC Berkeley snobbery or do they know something I don’t? I am considering relocating for a year to establish TX residency. Any thoughts? How hard is applying as an out of state student? As I get closer to application time, is it ok if I pick your brain?

It’s very hard to apply to TX schools without being a resident, but Baylor is your best bet. They take 75% in state (the other TX schools are around 90%). Establishing residency here is an excellent idea - you’ll be a lot better off applying to med school in general as a TX resident than a CA resident.
I forgot to mention what a great bargain Baylor is. Our tuition is about $8000/year for instate. This is the same tuition rate as all of the TX state schools. Out of state is more, but they give everyone a scholarship that brings it down to almost instate rate.
Always happy to answer questions!
Pam

“Read,” be sure to find out exactly what is required to establish yourself as a resident of Texas. I have a vague recollection of a conversation about this years ago that left me with the impression that Texas was kinda particular about residency requirements.

I was already a resident, but what I have heard from other people is that you have to live here a year and pay taxes - and not take any classes during that year. I found a link to the official rules. Here it is: http://www.utexas.edu/student/admissions/residency/ . Also check out TMDSAS website at http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/.
Now, any more questions about Baylor?
Pam

Yes, I just read the same thing. Work, pay taxes, don’t take any classes for at least a year. Pretty straight forward. It might be worth while to try and get a job in the medical center. Network and satisfy the residency recs in one fell swoop.

Hello. I have a generic question about the Texas schools, not just about Baylor though, and you may have already answered this, but I’m still confused. I know Texas has its own application service, apart from AMCAS and AACOMAS, and I’ve always wondered:
1. Do Texas residents complete the Texas version of AMCAS INSTEAD of the regular AMCAS and AACOMAS or do they submit both? (Or all 3 if they are trying for both MD and DO schools)? What about non-Texas applicants? I guess they don’t complete the Texas AMCAS?
2. Are Texas schools completely closed off to out of state students? I’m a Virginia resident and am interested in my state schools, but I think there are some really good schools in Texas (and Baylor is one of them!).
3. When is Texas breaking away from the U.S. to form its own country (the Republic of Texas)? I’m sorry but why does Texas have to have its own application service? What a nightmare. Imagine if all the states did this!
Sorry my questions aren’t Baylor-specific but I’ve always been confused about the Texas medical school system.
Love,
Stacy

Hi Stacy,

Quote:

1. Do Texas residents complete the Texas version of AMCAS INSTEAD of the regular AMCAS and AACOMAS or do they submit both? (Or all 3 if they are trying for both MD and DO schools)?

The Texas admissions are done through TMDSAS, which I guess could be called the TX version of AMCAS. If you want to apply to other, non UT schools (including Baylor) you must also do AMCAS. I don’t know if TCOM is on AACOMAS or TMDSAS. Oh, TMDSAS is much cheaper than AMCAS too (at least it was when I applied).
Quote:

What about non-Texas applicants? I guess they don’t complete the Texas AMCAS?

As far as I know, both TX residents and non-residents apply to UT schools through TMDSAS.
Quote:

2. Are Texas schools completely closed off to out of state students? I’m a Virginia resident and am interested in my state schools, but I think there are some really good schools in Texas (and Baylor is one of them!).

I believe the Texas state schools take 90%+ TX residents. Baylor takes 75% TX residents.
Quote:

3. When is Texas breaking away from the U.S. to form its own country (the Republic of Texas)? I’m sorry but why does Texas have to have its own application service? What a nightmare. Imagine if all the states did this!

Actually, the TMDSAS application wasn’t bad, and I think it’s a good system. They do a “match” where you rank the schools in order of your preference and the schools rank the students. You get accepted to your highest school that also chose you. That way, it’s one admission and the main source of waitlist movement is people who are also accepted at non-Texas schools. It cuts down on frustration and last-minute acceptances. I think it would be great if all states did this - as long as you didn’t have to do a million applications.
Happy to answer. Surely you have some questions specific to Baylor since you are interested in attending?
Pam

Spacecadet asked about whether or not the osteopathic school in TX subscribed to the the “Texas customized application service” or the ACOMAS.
I went to an osteopathic forum last week and the rep from AOA representative stated that TCOM participates in the TX system application process.
Parenthetically, I also understood that the Michigan State osteopathic students take first year classes with the Michigan State MD students.
Hope this helps.
Charles

The word is that first semester at Baylor will no longer be pass/fail starting next year. Bummer!

Well whose bright idea was that

Good morning Pam, yes “bummer” sums it up regarding Baylors’ decision to change grading for the 1st semester. Can you provide some insight on the UT-Houston. Houston will be my home for awhile (we like the area we live in - Pearland, kids like their schools, etc) and attending UTMB is unfortunately not an option for me. So BCM & UT-Houson are my choices. Can you provide some comparisons between the two regarding acceptance types, attitudes regarding “non-traditionals” MCAT, GPA…stuff like that would be helpful. Thank you for your assistance.
Ron in Pearland, TX

Hi Ron,
My experience with UT Houston is not extensive, but I’ll try to answer your questions based on what I remember from the interview and from talking to my classmates.
First of all, UT has a more “standard” curriculum. They are in class all day most days and do two full years of preclinical work. Baylor has half-days most days and completes preclinicals in December of 2nd year with only a month for summer break. I’ve heard rumors that our classes are somewhat less intense (i.e. I “heard” that UT students had to learn a lot more detail in anatomy than we did). Also, because of our PPS class, we get clinical experience much earlier than the UT students. I volunteered at the HOMES clinic (student-run clinic for the homeless) and it was amazing to see how much more comfortable the Baylor students are with patients than the UT students. Of course, that difference will be wiped out in the first week on the wards.
Both schools are in the Medical Center, but there is little or no overlap in the hospitals. UT uses mainly Hermann and LBJ, although they are also affiliated with MD Anderson, TIRR, and HCPC. Baylor uses Ben Taub, the VA, and (now) St. Luke’s, as well as TCH and others. LBJ is on the north side of town, which was a major drawback for me.
Baylor is ranked higher, if you care about that kind of thing. I’m not sure what that really means for students, except maybe more research opportunities and possibly a slightly better shot at choice residencies. Baylor gives students the opportunity to take off a year to pursue other interests like research, teaching, MBA, etc. Also, because of the compressed preclinicals, Baylor students have a lot more time off during rotations to pursue interests or take a break.
Baylor seemed to me to be more stats oriented. There are four OPM’s in my class and we all scored very high on the MCAT (I know - taboo to talk about it, but I dragged it out of them ). I’d say admissions are definitely more competitive at Baylor, although you never know what will happen (like in my case). I don’t think either school is particularly favorable toward OPM’s.
In general, I would say that if you get accepted to Baylor, you should definitely go there. It’s an awesome place to be and I feel very lucky to be there. It’s also a huge bargain!
Anything I didn’t answer that you would like to know?
Pam

Good morning Pam, “thank you” for taking time from your busy schedule to answer my post. I will begin to investigate both schools more thoroughly. Hope classes are going well and have a good day!

>>3. When is Texas breaking away from the U.S. to form its own country (the Republic of Texas)? I’m sorry but why does Texas have to have its own application service? What a nightmare. Imagine if all the states did this!
>>
We aren’t already?? I thought the rest of the lower 47 was just a large playground for us all. Just kidding.
What is that saying… “New Mexico is our playground and Oklahoma is our parking lot.”
On a serious note, since I’m only applying to the TX schools, the in state application system is no big deal.
I had a question about BCM, is it anything like Baylor University in Waco as far as campus personality? BCM is the only in state medical school that I am hesitant about applying to.

Quote:

I had a question about BCM, is it anything like Baylor University in Waco as far as campus personality? BCM is the only in state medical school that I am hesitant about applying to.

Well, I’ve never been to Baylor in Waco and I don’t know much about it. But, I think the atmosphere at BCM is great. My class is very friendly, cooperative and helpful. I think we might have a higher proportion of “rich kids” based on the number of Ivy Leaguers, but you wouldn’t know it - and I’m guessing you have that at most medical schools.
I’m very, very happy here and that’s saying a lot. I don’t think you should hesitate to apply to Baylor. Even though it’s a pain since you have to do AMCAS, it’s a fantastic school and worth the effort.
If you can explain what exactly you’re concerned about, I’ll try to answer more specifically.
Pam

Pam:
You mentioned that Baylor is more interested in stats than UT-Houston. Since there are alot of IVY leaguers there, it there an advantage of being from a prestige school? I am still waffling about UC Berkeley. Should I stay or should I go. There is a small state college I have been looking at. Its science programs are more rigourous than Berkeley and they have smaller classes. But name wise it ain’t Berkeley. Any thougths? Thanks.
Meredith

Well, I don’t have the inside info on how people are selected. But, I see that there are a significant number of people from what I consider “ivy league” schools (i.e. Harvard, Yale, Brown, Stanford) in my class, although there are also a lot from Texas state schools. We also have some from schools I never heard of.
I don’t think it hurts to go to a school with a good name. The sad thing is that getting into medical school can really be a numbers game, and having name recognition on your school won’t hurt. But, you need to be in the environment where you are comfortable and can pull out those A’s.
I think that the same goes for residency to some extent. I think it’s easier to get choice residencies if you go to a “top” medical school, but people from all schools get into good residencies. You just have to make yourself stand out.
If it were me, I’d probably stay with Berkeley if I thought I could get excellent grades and recommendations. And if I thought the premed committee would be supportive of my OPM status. But, you’re not me! It’s a tough call.
Pam

To the OP: I did exactly what you are asking about, established TX residency. I moved from Oklahoma. I actually took one class while working full time after I moved here and they did not count that as “moving to Texas to go to school.” I moved to work here as far as TMDSAS is concerned.

One recommendation: Time your move so that when you submit your application you can state that you have lived in TX for a year. Otherwise they list you as an Out-Of-Stater with a letter that is stand alone stating that you will be a resident by the match date (2/15). I felt this hurt me as some schools effectively ignored this letter and compared my stats to the other OOS applicants. Texas has a great system with 8 schools and incredible in-state tuition. You want to be on the inside of this system (in-state) since most schools only accept 10% max from OOS by state law. The normal OOS % is more like 5-7% at most schools.

Baylor is on AMCAS, TCOM is on TMDSAS with all the other allo schools. I think Baylor is the most URM friendly, if that applies to anyone (I am basing this from BCM data).

Baylor has rolling admissions and all others participate in the TX match. TMDSAS is a great system that eliminates some hassles, but you don’t know squat till 2/15.

I would be proud to go to any TX school as they are all very good. DO’s are widely accepted in the TX allo residency ranks because TCOM cranks out great doc’s.

I am going through the cycle this year (as a full fledged resident!) if you have any questions. Just send me a PM.

Some of us get to utilize all 3 application services: TMDSAS, AMCAS, & AACOMOS. It’s only money, right? Only now, it’s theirs, not mine. I refuse to wait any longer. I do not want to be in limbo any longer. I will get in this cycle! (Positive affirmation does work)

Is anyone applying to Baylor this year? Best of luck! Post questions if you have them.