Calc v algebra-based physics

I’ve done lots of research on this and cannot figure out which one will fit me best.

I’m in an algebra-based physics. I cannot get above a 70 on any exam whereas the others are getting 80’s-90’s. I’ve been to a tutor, tried to meet with the instructor, the TA is hateful and the SI guy (the supplemental instructor) picks up chicks rather than help (he’s pretty bad at both).

I’ve used Khan academy but he confuses me because he doesn’t get to the point so I’m super lost.

Q: I’ve read on SDN and elsewhere that calc-based physics just doesn’t tell you which equation to use but why, using math as the foundation. I really like math and cannot stand being told “the block at v1 is 0” but I want to know why is it 0 at v1, not because it’s not moving.

I’d like to “repeat” this dreadful class in the fall but with calc-based physics. From those that have been there, what’s the general consensus? I haven’t had calc nor precalc yet but can take it over the summer (I’m older and don’t mind working all day on classes).

Please offer me words of wisdom over this! If I get a miracle 70 on exam 3 and 75 on the final, I can get a C.

Thank you.

Not sure how to help. The first physics class I took was calc based physics 2. Did great, but you have to know integration. Calc based phys deals more with explanation and understanding the formulation of a problem rather than just applying a formula.

After that I decided to take algebra based physics I because I didn’t want to put in the time.

Frankly, if you have issues with algebra phys I, I wouldn’t attempt calc based I because at that point, physics concepts are assumed to be known so that you can focus on the explanation.

I’d like to say that Physics is a very easy subject for me, so take my words for what they are worth (not much…)

Good luck.

I’m taking the algebra/trig based Physics I right now. I actually hated physics in high school. I remember getting a B back then. I still don’t like it , but I am getting an A in the class. The 2 things that have been extremely helpful for me are, I have a great professor and the available online resources. For online resources, my top 3 go to websites are khan Academy, Physics Classroom: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/ and Freelance-teacher: http://freelance-teacher.com/videos.htm

Khan Academy has been helpful more for Gen. Chem I than Physics. The videos on FreeLance Teacher.com are the BEST for Physics. It takes time to go through the videos but its worth it. I recommend watching the videos prior to the lectures. I just recently watched his videos on Force, Work and Mechanical Energy and it was so helpful, i got an A in my quiz today.

Other helpful tips

Practice, Practice, Practice! Do as many as possible the problems at the end of the chapter. This the only way to apply the concepts as well as to prepare for quizes, tests or exams. Depending on the physics text book you have, some of the answers are in the index section at the back of the book. The problems without answers, you can search on google for answers ( be careful with this option because some of the answers may not be accurate, however, most of the answers are accurate). If you have extra cash buy the Solution Manual for your text book.

Take good notes! Write down everything! I even write down the questions the professor asks in class and the answers.I write down all the examples. This is helpful when you go back to review notes when you have questions as you read through your text book.

Pay attention to the instructor’s testing style. Some professors test their students primarily on what is taught in class, some use the text book more than class lectures. Look at the old tests, where were most of the tests questions from? Anticipate tricky questions, that’s why you have to keep practicing with the problems at the end of each chapter.

So what i do is watch the Free Lance Videos and if needed, i use Khan Academy and Classroom Physics. Then I read my notes, then read the text book then do the problems at the end of the chapter and focus on the areas i’m having difficulties with. If i have questions, i email my professor.

I try to understand where the equations are derived from, how the theories apply in the real world, and when i need to use these equations in a given problem. You do have to memorize these equations.

I hope this is helpful. Other Physics websites i found and i have yet to use are below,

http://open.umich.edu/education/lsa/physics 140/fal…

http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/phys-200

http://www.solvephysics.com/problems.shtml

Hang in there!

Also, looking into the future, the MCAT physics section will not allow you to use a calculator. I haven’t taken it yet, but the practice passages/questions/etc seem to be very simple in mathematical rigor and focus more on critical thinking and applying concepts

As the previous poster mentioned, NO calculator is allowed on the MCAT. I’m studying MCAT physics right now, and it is indeed very concept based. For the MCAT, they expect you to have taken algebra based physics. From what I understand, calc based physics goes into a lot of other detail that just doesn’t apply to the MCAT. Something to consider …

I have not taken calc-based physics, but I have to agree with the last two posts also. For the MCAT it will be crucial to know concepts and some formula manipulations. I have not taken the MCAT yet, but I will soon and all my review has been a lot of conceptual stuff and a few simple calculations. The calculations will require a strong working knowledge of algebra and trig based physics content. As much as I hate to admit, working all those ridiculous problems in physics class has made me far more comfortable with the MCAT material and far more at ease with recognizing relationships and how physics formulas point out those relationships. That is physics in a nutshell isn’t it? How everything relates to everything to everything else! lol.

It would be a good idea to get a hold of some MCAT specific physics material so you have an idea what you will need to know for that and see if calc based physics would help you or not, but w/o a calculator, it seems it may not unless you have a really strong foundation in physics. It appears you don’t (my weak area is physics so I get it) so utilize resources to get a footing on it. You will have to be proactive to succeed and the internet has great options. Two were mentioned above and I also highly recommend Chad’s videos at Coursesaver. Not free, but not expensive, and really worth it! Those vids have helped me tremendously in physics and organic. Best of luck! Don’t give up!

• Leuschner4 Said:
I've done lots of research on this and cannot figure out which one will fit me best.

I'm in an algebra-based physics. I cannot get above a 70 on any exam whereas the others are getting 80's-90's. I've been to a tutor, tried to meet with the instructor, the TA is hateful and the SI guy (the supplemental instructor) picks up chicks rather than help (he's pretty bad at both).

I've used Khan academy but he confuses me because he doesn't get to the point so I'm super lost.

Q: I've read on SDN and elsewhere that calc-based physics just doesn't tell you which equation to use but why, using math as the foundation. I really like math and cannot stand being told "the block at v1 is 0" but I want to know why is it 0 at v1, not because it's not moving.

I'd like to "repeat" this dreadful class in the fall but with calc-based physics. From those that have been there, what's the general consensus? I haven't had calc nor precalc yet but can take it over the summer (I'm older and don't mind working all day on classes).

Please offer me words of wisdom over this! If I get a miracle 70 on exam 3 and 75 on the final, I can get a C.

Thank you.

I agree with the other posts; calc-based physics is overkill. Not to mention, you haven't taken pre-calc or calc yet. To take those classes, just to take calc-based physics (which will be full of physics majors) seems like an extraordinary waste of time (and $$).

What's going wrong on the exams? Are you making careless mistakes? Missing the concepts all together? Find someone that can explain it to you in language that will make it click. I sometimes used another website " Freelance-teach ." His videos are free (donations accepted), and he posts worksheets to follow along.

You'll figure it out, and the experience will probably help you out in the long run...

Oops. I didn’t see that Alexis has already mentioned that site! I second the motion!

The only exception I can think of to the “OP doesn’t need calc based physics” statement is if he’s applying to a “research based” MD program like the one at Harvard.

Last time I checked, they required Calc based physics, but things may changed.

This is from HMS.(http://hms.harvard.edu/departments/admission s/applying/requirements-a dmission#Current Required Courses)

3. Physics

One year is the minimum requirement. Advanced placement credits that enable a student to take an upper-level course may be used to meet one semester of this requirement.

If they take AP, im pretty sure algebra-based is acceptable. They do, however, require a year of calc

4. Mathematics

One year of calculus is the minimum requirement. Advanced placement credits may satisfy this requirement (Calculus AB = 1 semester, Calculus BC = 2 semesters).

• actowery Said:
This is from HMS.(http://hms.harvard.edu/departments/admission s/applying/requirements-a dmission#Current Required Courses)

Is that for the "regular" MD program or the HST-MD program? I'm referring the the HST-MD program, and here's the info from the Harvard website: http://hst.mit.edu/academics/md/admissio ns/faq

"[What prerequisite courses do I need to take before applying to HST?

For the MD program, in addition to the general requirements for admission to Harvard Medical School which one may find at this website, applicants to the HST Program must be comfortable with upper level mathematics (through differential equations and linear algebra), biochemistry and molecular biology. In addition, one year of calculus-based physics is required."

Again, for those of us interested in research careers as Physicians, check the schools requirements, because they WILL often be different. This program is with MIT, so it's probably no surprise that such a technical course is required.

PS- I can't believe I pulled an "SDN" and looked that up and posted it!

NOT again!

Thank you for all the great advice!!

I’m missing the concepts all together. I’ve been to a tutor but that really hasn’t helped. The instructor does try but the concepts don’t make sense to me. The book is awful, the HW in an online program that doesn’t provide reasons or examples why the answer is wrong. The lab guy is always angry at something, the SI dude is trying to pick up the younger girls.

I talked with the math advisor and she seemed to think calc-based physics is “easier” to grasp since the concepts are worked out, not given.

IDK…I like math. I hate being lost.

Thanks again!! I’ll try all the suggestions!

• Leuschner4 Said:
I talked with the math advisor and she seemed to think calc-based physics is "easier" to grasp since the concepts are worked out, not given.

IDK...I like math. I hate being lost.

Thanks again!! I'll try all the suggestions!

The book that finally made Physics easier for me was "Conceptual Physics" by Paul G. Hewitt. And not suprisingly based on the title, he does a good job of explaining concepts, DUH!

And don't forget to get the suplemental book too, Practicing Physics. It's a BIG help with TONS of drawings!

Also, if the harder physics "works" for you, then I think you should go for it!
  • pathdr2b Said:
The only exception I can think of to the "OP doesn't need calc based physics" statement is if he's applying to a "research based" MD program like the one at Harvard.

Last time I checked, they required Calc based physics, but things may changed.

The Harvard Medical School MD/PhD program?!? Seriously? No offense to OP, but I just assumed anyone hitting the speed bumps in algebra-based Physics I didn't have Ivy League MD/PhD in their crosshairs!! Again, OP, many run into hurdles here and there, nothing to fret, and not to say you're not capable of such an accomplishment.

I really don't think making the math more difficult will help you any; just my $.02. And, as a previous post pointed out, the MCAT specifically targets your grasp of the concepts. The math is nothing that couldn't be done on a napkin (cocktail variety).

You've identified the problem; I think you're halfway home already. Good luck.
  • olderguy Said:
The Harvard Medical School MD/PhD program?!? Seriously? No offense to OP, but I just assumed anyone hitting the speed bumps in algebra-based Physics I didn't have Ivy League MD/PhD in their crosshairs!!

I think your brain just farted and teleported you to SDN!

For the 10 or so years I've been posting here, we don't really speak the "if you can't do "X", then there's no way in hell you can do "Y" "mantra around here. Because if that were the case, 90% of us wouldn't be on this path in the first place since just about everyone here has something imperfect in their academic background, yet here we are!

That said, you don't have to do an MD/PhD at Harvard to do a "research based" MD. But you DO need calc based Physics.

And the reason I know is because I had some problems back in the day in Physics 1, overcame them, then got a couple letters from Harvard encouraging me to apply after they got my MCAT scores.

Now I'll apologize in advance if this came across as harsh, but it really tee's me off for people to be discouraged from their goals. If the OP wants to apply to Harvard, then let HARVARD decide if he's "good enough" or not.

Ooh! This is starting to get good…(grabs popcorn)

I do not want to discourage anyone here, but to some extent you have to really consider that it is one thing to get in, it is another to get out…

Anyone who wants to apply to Harvard should. But frankly, academic excellence is often the norm. I am sure some folks with lower GPA/MCAT make it, but that would be exceptional in my opinion.

Yet, you should apply if you that’s what you want to do. But in promotion with average GPAs close to 4 and average MCAT close to 35, no doubt that the folks that make it are academically very fit. Just something to consider.

There is also the time issue. I started the application for Harvard and didn’t even finish it. Lack of time, and given the odds, I figured, not really worth it. Especially if I had made it, I do not know how I would have paid for it. Obviously the money issue is not so much of a problem if you attempt MD/PhD. But these programs are likely more competitive than MD because you get a free ride.

Again, not here to discourage, but sometimes, you have to establish reasonable plans with reasonable expectation. That said, aiming higher is not forbidden.

Best of luck.

• pathdr2b Said:
  • olderguy Said:
The Harvard Medical School MD/PhD program?!? Seriously? No offense to OP, but I just assumed anyone hitting the speed bumps in algebra-based Physics I didn't have Ivy League MD/PhD in their crosshairs!!

I think your brain just farted and teleported you to SDN!

For the 10 or so years I've been posting here, we don't really speak the "if you can't do "X", then there's no way in hell you can do "Y" "mantra around here. Because if that were the case, 90% of us wouldn't be on this path in the first place since just about everyone here has something imperfect in their academic background, yet here we are!

That said, you don't have to do an MD/PhD at Harvard to do a "research based" MD. But you DO need calc based Physics.

And the reason I know is because I had some problems back in the day in Physics 1, overcame them, then got a couple letters from Harvard encouraging me to apply after they got my MCAT scores.

Now I'll apologize in advance if this came across as harsh, but it really tee's me off for people to be discouraged from their goals. If the OP wants to apply to Harvard, then let HARVARD decide if he's "good enough" or not.

Ahh, the limits of electronic communication at their finest. My comments were light-hearted in nature. I haven't been here ten years, but long enough (3 yrs) to know the kind of support and encouragement that fills these pages. It's for this reason I've stuck around, and consider OPM an incredible resource for non-trads.

I apologize if it came off the wrong way, but I was amused with the path of conversation, that's all, nothing personal. OP never made any mention of a research-based program, and then we suddenly have Harvard's prereqs on the thread. It seemed funny!

My story is no different. I had an imperfect background, but also ended up receiving similar letters as the one you received, Path. Far be it for me to discourage anyone from trying.

• redo-it-all Said:
Again, not here to discourage, but sometimes, you have to establish reasonable plans with reasonable expectation. That said, aiming higher is not forbidden.

99.9% of my female students have "discouragements" issues. Almost, NONE of my male students have that issue and the fact is that aren't as smart as my female students (sorry guys, just keeping it real). So PLEASE forgive me (Oldguy) for going off the deep end when I smell discouragement because it's a dream killer especially for women. More than that, it has NO place on a site like this, where we're already dealing with significant odds in the med school admissions process.

BTW, I've met many people who thought they had NO shot at a school like Harvard and they were pleasently surprised to learn otherwise by just submitting an application.

So I don't disagree that as grown folks who've have a few life experiences under our belts, we should be realistic. That's more than obvious. But having problems in Physics 1 or Ogro 1, ect, is not anywhere close to being a SOLE indication that a school like Harvard should be off the table, assuming an initial interest in applying and an otherwise solid application.

I'm ALL for "keeping it real". I'm just suggesting we 'keep it positive" too as the two don't have to be mutually exclusive.
  • olderguy Said:
OP never made any mention of a research-based program, and then we suddenly have Harvard's prereqs on the thread.

I only went the research based program route in this thread because almost ALL Of the people I know taking or contemplating taking Calc Based physics are going in the "research" direction. And also because the OP isn't the ONLY person reading this thread, there's no telling who may benefit from this info!

BTW, Harvard is discussed ad nauseum on SDN and other premed sites. Why should THIS site be any different?

I don't plan to attend Harvard but I certainly plan to do an away rotation there, especially if I stick with Pathology.

Heck yeah, I'm shooting for the TOP, BELIEVE THAT!