Celebrations III

In order to balance the negative of my post on the application forum, I though it was time to ressurect this thread idea!!! wink.gif
I’m celebrating the succesful launch of all my children into Elementary school, fulltime! laugh.gif My daughter’s in 4th grade and the boys have started 1st grade. This week I attended open house for all the kids at their school. They are all doing well and are enjoying school. Even my “I can’t read” kid is reading a little bit to me every night!
It’s wonderful to see them tumble off the bus each afternoon with big grins and stories about their days. biggrin.gif
So, what have you guys got to celebrate these days? Please share!

QUOTE (TheresaW @ Oct 11 2003, 12:23 AM)
So, what have you guys got to celebrate these days? Please share!

I'm pretty happy about finishing my three months of internal medicine and being one 13 hour Sunday away from departing the 5th level of hell, AKA Labor and Delivery. Sadly, my departure will be heralded only by my arrival at the gates of the 6th level of hell; GYN oncology. smile.gif
As with all jaunts through the various levels of hell that we all take, this one had some upside. I delievered four babies and scrubbed in on countless C-sections (the indication for c-section at hi-risk centers approximates...pregnancy). I feel like I've developed a close, personal relationship with the bladder retractor.
Take care,
Jeff

Jeff, the great thing about all this is that when it is over, you do have a tremendous sense of accomplishment just for surviving. I feel your pain, buddy. I only finished my OB/gyn at the end of June and the wounds are still pretty fresh. tongue.gif
My own celebration: I finally, FINALLY submitted my @#$%%@!!! ERAS application tonight, after FINALLY coming up with a personal statement that I could submit without wincing. (‘Please pick me for your program’ would be far more accurate and succinct.) I am sooooooo relieved to get that done. Now I can watch football tomorrow with a clear conscience. (jeff, such luxuries await you, too, during your fourth year!)

After struggling for almost a year we finally got some data. BTW, I'm a graduate student in biomedical sciences and we work on the basic science part of proliferative vitreoretinopathy. The results look very interesting and a major part of the competitive renewal of my PI's grant which is due by the end of this month is going to be based on my results. Well hard work pays off eventually I guess:)
Also, my Spanish instructor said he would be putting together a trip to Costa rica for a week nrct May/June for intensive Spanish learning.
My sister and brother-in-law will be having a baby in May.
Last but not the least, I'm doing quite well in my Physics 1 lab and lecture. At least for now I'm headed for an A
Thanks for starting this thread. Sometimes I just don't know who to share these little successes with:)
Priya

Priya, all of those things sound great!

QUOTE (Mary Renard @ Oct 12 2003, 02:13 AM)
Jeff, the great thing about all this is that when it is over, you do have a tremendous sense of accomplishment just for surviving. I feel your pain, buddy. I only finished my OB/gyn at the end of June and the wounds are still pretty fresh. tongue.gif
My own celebration: I finally, FINALLY submitted my @#$%%@!!!! ERAS application tonight, after FINALLY coming up with a personal statement that I could submit without wincing. ('Please pick me for your program' would be far more accurate and succinct.) I am sooooooo relieved to get that done. Now I can watch football tomorrow with a clear conscience. (jeff, such luxuries await you, too, during your fourth year!)

Howdy Mary!
Thanks for feeling my pain! Its good to know the path through hell is well traveled. As of right now, I'm done with L&D forever! Whoop! Sad, isn't it? That I can hate L&D so much yet love delivering babies so much? Tsk, tsk I say.
Congratulations on getting your personal statement done. I'm still resting in my three years of PS-free bliss. You're applying for family, right? I take it you're limiting your apps to the DC area?
Congrats to Priya and Theresa!
Take care,
Jeff

Here’s my small accomplishment: I finally finishing applying to post-bacc pre-med programs! tongue.gif It took me much longer than expected (about 5 months working a few hours each week) as I had to request high school transcripts (for some programs), all college transcripts (4 schools), write the dreaded personal statement (must have revised about 25 times), request 3 letters of recommendation, write about my extra-curricular activities, write about my professional experiences (i.e. include a resume), and write a lot of checks for application fees. And this is just for PRE-MED! I applied to 3 official programs (Johns Hopkins Univ., Goucher College, and Barry University) and 2 unofficial (second-degree bachelor’s) programs (Univ. of North Carolina - Greensboro, Old Dominion Univ.). I’ll probably try for Georgetown Univ. too next summer if I don’t get into any of the above.
Now comes the next challenge…how am I going to pay for it? ohmy.gif Although I work FT now, I’m going to quit next year to go to school FT. I have to tackle FAFSA soon, but I’m currently burned out on the whole application thing and taking a small breather. This is seriously making me realize I am going to really limit medical schools I apply to–when the time comes since I’m so far away from that now–b/c I’m sure the process of applying to medical school is so much more complicated, time-consuming, and ridiculously expensive!
I’ll post something as soon as I hear of any acceptances/rejections. Wish me luck!
Love,
Stacy
P.S. Oh, one more thing to be happy about: I’m doing a Girls Weekend away (spa retreat) this weekend in Reading, PA. Vacation…Yeah. smile.gif

These are great celebrations, guys! biggrin.gif
Stacy, we’ll keep our fingers crossed for you. BTW, you are just about ready to apply for med school now that you’ve jumped through all those hoops! wink.gif

Hmmm…Great Things this week:
1. I got through my KCOM interview. Whew!
2. My husband’s cousin’s newborn baby appears to be able to move his knees! He was born two weeks ago with spina bifida and had immediate surgery. If he can move his knees, there is a good chance that he may be able to walk! We are so optimistic!
3. My friend is being induced Thursday. She’s had a terrible time with high blood pressure and protein spillage, almost pre-eclamptic, and has made it to 37 weeks! Yay!
smile.gif

I’m celebrating the fact that my hubby will be home Saturday after being gone since mid-August. He was due back in mid-Sep, but his trip was extended by circumstances out of his control.
I’m so exicted biggrin.gif
Tara

My good news is that I’ve been on the Atkins diet for 2 weeks and have lost 14 pounds!! tongue.gif tongue.gif meat is my friend.
Kathy

Well, I am super- biggrin.gif now. See my other thread (First Acceptance). I just wanted to check in Theresa and the others who had interviews. I think it’s TheresaW, Runtita, and efex who had a ton of interviews! That was so impressive. Have you heard any news yet? With all those interviews, I can’t imagine how you couldn’t get into medical school. That’s great news!
Also, great news for everyone else who has posted: the experiment, birth, losing weight, etc. All great accomplishments. biggrin.gif
Love,
Stacy

exfex and Theresa had the interview marathons! I just had one (well, I only applied to one).
I don’t want to distract from true greatness. rolleyes.gif

Well, here is my good news. I get a free trip, sort of, courtesy of the federal government!
I have been reviewing rural health outreach grants for the Office of Rural Health Policy, HRSA for several years now. I am experienced in rural health care delivery and programs. I sit with other assorted health care people, e.g. university professors, consultants, and plain old state public health workers like me for 4 days in a posh Washington, DC hotel, e.g the Hilton or Marriott near Dupont Circle. We collectively evaluate and make recommendations for funding of up to 300 applications at $200K per year for up to 3 years. In the past, I have had to personally read and score 6-8 applications and make presentations on the who, what, where, how, and why of the proposals to my colleagues. But not this year!..I am the chairperson of my committee! This means I get to direct the reviews, i.e. keeping everyone focused and fill out the summary evaluation forms. I can kick back and collect my $400 per day honorarium! Air fare and hotel expenses are paid up front by HRSA, and each reviewer gets the $50 per day meal allowance too. Hey, this will be a min-vacation for me after final exams in early December. “DC” ain’t the best place to be in December, but Rock Creek Park is good for a jog and the museums are always interesting to tour! Best of all, it breaks up the routine of work and night classes and will give me a little extra spending money to blow at Christmas. Aloha.
Surfergene

Well, I just got my first gen chem test back and I got… a 97! Yay, I’m so happy. I haven’t touched the sciences since high school, so this feels awesome. Let’s hope I can keep it up…
Also… the weather held out for our Making Strides walk for breast cancer yesterday. It was about 50 and sunny (forecast was for 40 and rainy). The walk raised about $150,000, which is pretty incredible for central NH! And after the walk my mom and I had lunch with my brother and his wife and three kids (they also walked with us) which was special because I don’t get to see nearly as often as I’d like. Then we ended up at a impromptu gathering at an uncle’s house… a lot of our family was together which is really nice right now. We’ve suspected that my grandmother has lung cancer for a few years now and we recently found out that it has spread, so every moment we get to spend as a family is even more special. While we don’t dwell on the inevitable, we’re reminded to cherish what time we have.
Family time and meeting lofty goals, I can’t think of anything better to celebrate smile.gif

I finished the Columbus Marathon on Sunday. My time was 4:29:20; not bad for an old man! Aloha.
Surfergene tongue.gif

Congratulations!!!

You rock, Surfergene.
Finally something I can celebrate in the world of sports:
YANKEES LOSE THE SERIES!
ah ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa laugh.gif laugh.gif

Nice job Surfergene!! I am working toward the Disney World Marathon in 2005 or 2006 and am only at the 5K stage now. Thanks for the motivation!!
Melanie

More good news to celebrate: I’ve been accepted two places now for post-bacc pre-med. Old Dominion University in Norfolk, VA, and University of North Carolina - Greensboro. biggrin.gif Both are as a 2nd degree bachelor’s student and are not to be confused with the formal post-baccs that I applied to (Johns Hopkins, Goucher College, and Barry Univ.) Still no word from the Big 3 yet. But, I’m psyched that I’ll be going somewhere (I hope!) next year (Fall 2004). cool.gif
Now for my next hoop: financial aid. I do hope to go FT but we’ll see what the Financial Aid Lords & Ladies bestow upon me. It may have to be PT while I waitress or do something else to pay bills next year.
Love,
Stacy